Virtual crimes, real-life police

Forum to discuss issues pertaining to the organisation and operations of the judiciary.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Fernando Book
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Virtual crimes, real-life police

Post by Fernando Book »

This is a story that runs on the front page of the Lawrence Journal, in Lawrence, Kansas with the headline [url=http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2006/nov/1 ... /:1i9zyrem]'Virtual-reality crimes present literal challenge for real-life police'[/url:1i9zyrem].
I find it very interesting.

I hope this is in-topic.

Ranma Tardis

Re: Virtual crimes, real-life police

Post by Ranma Tardis »

[quote="Fernando Book":36dp662t]This is a story that runs on the front page of the Lawrence Journal, in Lawrence, Kansas with the headline [url=http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2006/nov/1 ... /:36dp662t]'Virtual-reality crimes present literal challenge for real-life police'[/url:36dp662t].
I find it very interesting.

I hope this is in-topic.[/quote:36dp662t]

Oh it is just a story about how police go online as underage children trying to lure perverts into visiting with them so they can be arrested, put on trial, convicted, and sent to jail. I wonder if the police change the evidence to ensure conviction. Just another day in the land of the fee. What is so interesting about this type of story? I think it is entrapment and against the constitution. Wonder what tactic they will do next to increase the arrest numbers?
Lesson; never meet in real life the people you meet on the internet. If someone tries to sell or provide an illegal offer run do not walk to get away from them!

Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Virtual crimes, real-life police

Post by Patroklus Murakami »

[quote="Ranma Tardis":gri0rolo]Oh it is just a story about how police go online as underage children trying to lure perverts into visiting with them so they can be arrested, put on trial, convicted, and sent to jail. I wonder if the police change the evidence to ensure conviction. Just another day in the land of the fee. What is so interesting about this type of story? I think it is entrapment and against the constitution. Wonder what tactic they will do next to increase the arrest numbers?
Lesson; never meet in real life the people you meet on the internet. If someone tries to sell or provide an illegal offer run do not walk to get away from them![/quote:gri0rolo]Did you actually read the article before posting this?

It's actually about how one SL resident alleges she was cheated out of US$180 worth of Linden dollars and then how the police reacted when she reported the crime. The article goes on to describe Second Life, and the kind of activity that takes place within it, quite well without all of the 'Gee-whizz, you can make thousands of dollars here' hyperbole. I thought it was one of the most balanced articles I've read on Second Life in a long time.

The people they quote are sensible too, pointing out that SL's one million users is dwarfed by MMORPGs such as World of Warcraft and social networking sites such as MySpace. Nancy Baym sounds like someone who should *always* be interviewed for bringing some rational common sense to the discussion. I rarely see anyone remind everyone in these kind of discussions that it's perfectly reasonable for virtual goods to have value and that the division between 'real life' and our 'virtual lives' is often a false one.

Ranma Tardis

Post by Ranma Tardis »

Whatever, nobody is perfect. Didn't you notice the RUDE coments of the people responding to the story?

Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Patroklus Murakami »

[quote="Ranma Tardis":3px6n7y0]Whatever, nobody is perfect. Didn't you notice the RUDE coments of the people responding to the story?[/quote:3px6n7y0]I didn't read as far as the comments the first time. Yes, some of them are rude. It's what I've come to expect from anonymous comment on the internet, some people will take the opportunity to have a pop at people they regard as 'losers' because they play a 'video game'. Everybody can be a keyboard warrrior I guess :)

Return to “Judiciary Discussion”