Public consultation: Codes of Procedure

Forum to discuss issues pertaining to the organisation and operations of the judiciary.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Ashcroft Burnham »

OpenOffice still has orders of magnitude more features than Notepad, and the metaphor loses nothing if I replace Microsoft Word with OpenOffice. I only used the former because Microsoft Word is more familliar. I use OpenOffice, which, incidentally, was what I used to write those very codes.

Ashcroft Burnham

Where reason fails, all hope is lost.
Diderot Mirabeau
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Diderot Mirabeau »

I note with satisfaction that you have been unable to address my point regarding the Wikipedia criticism of modern word processors as being the typical example of bloatware.

Justice Soothsayer
Pundit
Pundit

Post by Justice Soothsayer »

[quote="Diderot Mirabeau":3qclia9b]What an apt analogy considering this excerpt from the Wikipedia definition of [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloatware:3qclia9b]bloatware[/url:3qclia9b][/quote:3qclia9b]

That one gets a big ROFL from me! Never heard of "bloatware" but now I will [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_know_it_ ... t:3qclia9b]know it when I see it[/url:3qclia9b].

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Justice Soothsayer":12fs73an]I see several significant problems with the Code of Procedures beyond its length and legalese, and am still considering it. I'll post more on it in a day or so for further digesting.[/quote:12fs73an]

I'm sure that there are problems with it: it can't be perfect on a first draft :-) I've already spotted an error by way of omission with the summary banishment pro forma, which I will update in a moment. Thank you for taking the trouble to read it properly rather than just dismising it because it is long.

Incidentally (and this is now not a reply specifically to Justice), this code is the implimentation of exactly the procedural rules that I had stipulated in my original posts about a proposal for a legal system, which can be found [url=http://forums.neufreistadt.info/viewtop ... g:12fs73an]here[/url:12fs73an].

Ashcroft Burnham

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Diderot Mirabeau":2xwdbbpe]I note with satisfaction that you have been unable to address my point regarding the Wikipedia criticism of modern word processors as being the typical example of bloatware.[/quote:2xwdbbpe]

I address it by explaining its irrelevance: since you cited OpenOffice as the perfect alternative to Microsoft Word, and since I pointed out that OpenOffice will fit my metaphor as well as MS Word (but for the fact that it is less familliar to many), that MS Word is bloatware is irrelevant.

Ashcroft Burnham

Diderot Mirabeau
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":enviinlw]since you cited OpenOffice as the perfect alternative to Microsoft Word, and since I pointed out that OpenOffice will fit my metaphor as well as MS Word (but for the fact that it is less familliar to many), that MS Word is bloatware is irrelevant.[/quote:enviinlw]
You do not hesitate to misrepresent my position to make it suit your argument, do you?

If you bother to take a closer look at the Wikipedia excerpt it does not deal with Microsoft products specifically but rather with modern day word processors in general inter alia including OpenOffice Writer.

Justice Soothsayer
Pundit
Pundit

Post by Justice Soothsayer »

For instance, when I search Google for the meaning of "resile", the first link that appears is from the "Dictionary of Difficult Words". To paraphrase Mark Twain, we should avoid using L$5 words when a L$.50 word would do.

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

I was replying to you, not to Wikipedia. What word processor do you use - Notepad?

Ashcroft Burnham

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Justice Soothsayer":2kwtqubj]For instance, when I search Google for the meaning of "resile", the first link that appears is from the "Dictionary of Difficult Words". To paraphrase Mark Twain, we should avoid using L$5 words when a L$.50 word would do.[/quote:2kwtqubj]

Ahh, you'd prefer that I word those bits differently, would you?

Were you referring to this bit:

[quote:2kwtqubj]1.No party may resile from any agreement contained in a memorandum of admission without leave of the court?[/quote:2kwtqubj]

Hmm... The trouble is, once one gets to know a word, it is not easy to track whether other people find it a difficult word or do not know it. I cannot think of an obvious synonym for "resile", so how about:

[quote:2kwtqubj]1. No party shall cease to be bound by any agreement contained in a memorandum of admission without leave of the court?[/quote:2kwtqubj]

Ashcroft Burnham

Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

On this specific point, why do you consider this a matter of procedural law rather than substantive law of contract? Are you rejecting, as a matter of procedure, the possiblity of "efficient breach" of contract? (If you don't know that term -- you may learn it at the Posner lecture.)

I am also in the process of "flyspecking" the Code of Procedure. I will post, as an alternative, a much distilled and reduced version -- adding by subtracting. That said, I would still prefer to junk the whole project.

Beathan

Let's keep things simple enough to be fair, substantive enough to be effective, and insightful enough to be good.
Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Beathan":2m7dpmry]On this specific point, why do you consider this a matter of procedural law rather than substantive law of contract?[/quote:2m7dpmry]

Because an admission of fact is not a contract, whereby a party promises something in return for something else, an admission is a formal declaration that one will not put another party to proceedings to proof or dispute a given proposition of fact. They are quite different in nature.

[quote:2m7dpmry]Are you rejecting, as a matter of procedure, the possiblity of "efficient breach" of contract? (If you don't know that term -- you may learn it at the Posner lecture.)[/quote:2m7dpmry]

I know all about "efficient breach": it was a subject that I studied in some depth in both my undergraduate and postgraduate law degrees.

[quote:2m7dpmry]I am also in the process of "flyspecking" the Code of Procedure. I will post, as an alternative, a much distilled and reduced version -- adding by subtracting. [/quote:2m7dpmry]

What would be far more helpful is if you were to post, in respect of each bit that you propose to throw away, why having that particular part there is a bad, rather than a good thing.

Ashcroft Burnham

Diderot Mirabeau
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":11pt5ff1]I was replying to you, not to Wikipedia.[/quote:11pt5ff1]
That is quite a weak comeback. It quite obviously tries to circumvent the fact that I was basing my argumentation on the Wikipedia definition.

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":11pt5ff1]What word processor do you use - Notepad?[/quote:11pt5ff1]
I use [url=http://www.hogbaysoftware.com/product/w ... m:11pt5ff1]WriteRoom[/url:11pt5ff1] but I don't expect you to have heard of that much less see the benefits of it.

When I need a bit more functionality I use Google Docs (the former Writely) or gOffice.

I use OpenOffice Writer or TextMaker only as a layout tool.

Gxeremio Dimsum
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Gxeremio Dimsum »

If it makes any difference, I normally use MSWord. However, in my work with SLNN I have found that using Word presents a few problems:
1. It is not possible to copy or paste text from SL into or from Word.
2. Typing in Word and then pasting onto the SLNN site adds unnecessary formatting that screws up the articles.

So instead, when it relates to SL, I use TextEdit.
Just thought you might enjoy another ironic but true comparison. :-)

Flyingroc Chung
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Flyingroc Chung »

I use vi (vim, actually -- for syntax coloring). If formatting is required, I write it in html on vim, or for longer papers LaTex :-).

Uh, yes. Back on topic, I am actually making the attempt to read the document; because you know, there is nothing more pleasing to me than exchanging leisure time for reading this 95-page document. I'll post my comments... uh... whenever I feel like it.

Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

I wanted to share my daily horoscope with the group, because, as with every good daily horoscope, it is brimming with simple wisdom and common sense.

"A long line of reasoning may be sound, but unless it's also memorable, it won't be followed. Condense your ideas into as short a form as possible."

Beathan

Let's keep things simple enough to be fair, substantive enough to be effective, and insightful enough to be good.

Return to “Judiciary Discussion”