Prok's perspective

Forum to discuss issues pertaining to the organisation and operations of the judiciary.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Gxeremio Dimsum
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Prok's perspective

Post by Gxeremio Dimsum »

You may be interested to read [url=http://secondthoughts.typepad.com/secon ... 9:2ersjmgy]this posting by Prokofy Neva[/url:2ersjmgy] which is a response to Ashcroft's postings on some forums and on [url=http://slnn.com/article/residentrunresolution/:2ersjmgy]my article on SLNN[/url:2ersjmgy].

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Ashcroft Burnham »

I don't know why this is in "Judiciary Discussion": there is nothing specifically judicial about Prokofy's paranoia in relation to my new Local Government Study Group.

Ashcroft Burnham

Where reason fails, all hope is lost.
Justice Soothsayer
Pundit
Pundit

Post by Justice Soothsayer »

Thanks for the link, Gxeremio, germane to our discussions of legal systems. Just in time for the holidays, Prok offers up a delightful blend of insight leavened with a little paranoia. The juicy bits are in the comments. I had to chuckle at the nickname for our first sim, "New Fries-with-that". It made it a more festive holiday!

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Justice Soothsayer":3bx4oh7u]Thanks for the link, Gxeremio, germane to our discussions of legal systems. Just in time for the holidays, Prok offers up a delightful blend of insight leavened with a little paranoia. The juicy bits are in the comments. I had to chuckle at the nickname for our first sim, "New Fries-with-that". It made it a more festive holiday![/quote:3bx4oh7u]

What germane insight do you think that he offers in that particular rant?

Ashcroft Burnham

Justice Soothsayer
Pundit
Pundit

Several interesting pieces in the Prok post and its progeny in the comments: Prok wonders about the possible world-domination-through-law of our legal system; Gwyn's disavowal of our chief judge as her proxy; Gwyn's revelation that she's 37 :D but not Euro-trash :D ; and possible Linden moves to "nominate any resmod-type judges or adjuciators or mediators"; lobbying Linden Labs regarding better tools for residents' enforcement of their own laws; and much more. Thanks again, Gxerimio, for the link.

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Justice Soothsayer":2o387uqz]Several interesting pieces in the Prok post and its progeny in the comments: Prok wonders about the possible world-domination-through-law of our legal system[/quote:2o387uqz]

Do you really think that that is a genuine insight, or just the usual paranoia?

[quote:2o387uqz]Gwyn's disavowal of our chief judge as her proxy[/quote:2o387uqz]

How is this insight? Nobody but Prokofy would ever think of me as Gwyneth's proxy.

[quote:2o387uqz]Gwyn's revelation that she's 37 :D[/quote:2o387uqz]

That is in her profile.

[quote:2o387uqz]possible Linden moves to "nominate any resmod-type judges or adjuciators or mediators"[/quote:2o387uqz]

This is more of the usual speculation: Prokofy cites no evidence for this.

[quote:2o387uqz]lobbying Linden Labs regarding better tools for residents' enforcement of their own laws[/quote:2o387uqz]

That's not an insight: that is something that I announced on this very forum, as well as the SL Homepage forums. How are any of these things germane to our discussions of legal systems?

Ashcroft Burnham

Justice Soothsayer
Pundit
Pundit

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":3lh28xt7][quote="Justice Soothsayer":3lh28xt7]Several interesting pieces in the Prok post and its progeny in the comments: Prok wonders about the possible world-domination-through-law of our legal system[/quote:3lh28xt7]

Do you really think that that is a genuine insight, or just the usual paranoia?[/quote:3lh28xt7]
I think it is a genuine insight.
[quote:3lh28xt7]Gwyn's disavowal of our chief judge as her proxy
[quote:3lh28xt7]
How is this insight? Nobody but Prokofy would ever think of me as Gwyneth's proxy.[/quote:3lh28xt7][/quote:3lh28xt7]
Nope, that one falls into the "interesting pieces category.
[quote:3lh28xt7]Gwyn's revelation that she's 37 :D[quote:3lh28xt7]
That is in her profile.[/quote:3lh28xt7][/quote:3lh28xt7]
Again, file that under "interesting pieces"
[quote:3lh28xt7]possible Linden moves to "nominate any resmod-type judges or adjuciators or mediators"[quote:3lh28xt7]
This is more of the usual speculation: Prokofy cites no evidence for this.[/quote:3lh28xt7][/quote:3lh28xt7]
This one qualifies as "insight", albeit perhaps not well substantiated.
[quote:3lh28xt7]lobbying Linden Labs regarding better tools for residents' enforcement of their own laws[quote:3lh28xt7]

That's not an insight: that is something that I announced on this very forum, as well as the SL Homepage forums. How are any of these things germane to our discussions of legal systems?[/quote:3lh28xt7][/quote:3lh28xt7]
"Germane" may be defined as "pertaining to the subject matter of the item of business being considered". LL tools for enforcement of our laws is certainly pertinent to our discussions of the judiciary. Our Chief and only Judge lobbying regarding these matters is also pertinent to discussion here.

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Justice Soothsayer":10crnfda] LL tools for enforcement of our laws is certainly pertinent to our discussions of the judiciary. Our Chief and only Judge lobbying regarding these matters is also pertinent to discussion here.[/quote:10crnfda]

How?

Ashcroft Burnham

Justice Soothsayer
Pundit
Pundit

Why not?

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Justice Soothsayer":2n9x8hh0]Why not?[/quote:2n9x8hh0]

No, that's not answering the question. Please tell me how you think that the specific fact that it is the Chief Judge setting up a group to lobby Linden Lab for better governance tools is germane to discussions here, and also why it is that you think that Prokofy's mentioning of it is more relevant than my own advertising of the same thing in the "General discussion" forum.

Ashcroft Burnham

Justice Soothsayer
Pundit
Pundit

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":32193lvq][quote="Justice Soothsayer":32193lvq]Why not?[/quote:32193lvq]

No, that's not answering the question. Please tell me how you think that the specific fact that it is the Chief Judge setting up a group to lobby Linden Lab for better governance tools is germane to discussions here, and also why it is that you think that Prokofy's mentioning of it is more relevant than my own advertising of the same thing in the "General discussion" forum.[/quote:32193lvq]
The tools our judiciary possess, or may possess in the future, and are or are not lobbying to have made available now or in the future are certainly relevant to a Judiciary Discussion. As for whether it is "more relevant" here or in the General Discussion forum, I'll leave for the readers, and if necessary, the moderators, to judge.

Ashcroft Burnham
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

[quote="Justice Soothsayer":24aost4j]The tools our judiciary possess, or may possess in the future, and are or are not lobbying to have made available now or in the future are certainly relevant to a Judiciary Discussion. [/quote:24aost4j]

No, I don't think that you understand (perhaps I was unclear): I was asking about which one of Prokofy's supposed insights was relevant specifically to the judiciary, not how the LGSG in general may be relevant to the judiciary.

(Incidentally, enrolment is free and open to all: if you have any good ideas about governance tools, or are interested in others' ideas, why don't you join us?)

Ashcroft Burnham

Publius Crabgrass
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Publius Crabgrass »

[quote="Ashcroft Burnham":55bwkt4r][quote="Justice Soothsayer":55bwkt4r]The tools our judiciary possess, or may possess in the future, and are or are not lobbying to have made available now or in the future are certainly relevant to a Judiciary Discussion. [/quote:55bwkt4r]

No, I don't think that you understand (perhaps I was unclear): I was asking about which one of Prokofy's supposed insights was relevant specifically to the judiciary, not how the LGSG in general may be relevant to the judiciary.

(Incidentally, enrolment is free and open to all: if you have any good ideas about governance tools, or are interested in others' ideas, why don't you join us?)[/quote:55bwkt4r]
Prok's outsider perspective about our CDS legal system and its possible use as a model for the rest of our virtual world is useful, even if we don't agree with it. I'll again echo Justice's thanks to Gxeremio for pointing to it for the benefit of those of us who care about our judicial issues.

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Gwyneth Llewelyn »

Why is my age suddenly such interesting bits? :-) Ash is right, that is shown on my in-world profile ;) I've found out that as soon as newbies find out about my true age, they quickly lose interest in me ;)

In any case, Prokofy's long-lasting discussion on his blog has [i:5cb4skl1]some[/i:5cb4skl1] points worth discussing, even if they're tainted with his paranoia. But it's not only that. What Prokofy really, really dislikes is that a group suddenly pops up into existence proposing to discuss and review some ideas to make suggestions [i:5cb4skl1]without having him as a founder[/i:5cb4skl1]. That is indeed what he hates most, to the point he prefers to employ all his "power and might" to destroy, and try to replace it by his [i:5cb4skl1]own[/i:5cb4skl1] group.

One thing I never figured out — why didn't Prokofy ever created his own self-governed sim? At the very beginning, this might have been a problem (too few tenants, no easy way to make sure it worked without ruining his business model). Nowadays he even has a few private islands of his own, just to test the Estate Tools. It would be apropriate to set up an experiment in self-government on one of those. So whay didn't he ever try to do that? He [i:5cb4skl1]is[/i:5cb4skl1] a strong supporter of all democratic freedoms and principles: starting with freedom of expression, accountability to the public, transparency in discussions, earnest discussion on procedures, besides, of course, having a good personal background (and some hands-on experience) in government styles, politics, ideology, and rhetorics :) What he really doesn't seem to like is people getting a public office through a [i:5cb4skl1]popular vote[/i:5cb4skl1]. :) At least, he never seems to bring it up to discussion...

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

PGP Fingerprint: CE8A 6006 B611 850F 1275 72BA D93E AA3D C4B3 E1CB

Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Aliasi Stonebender »

[quote="Gwyneth Llewelyn":3ttwces3] What he really doesn't seem to like is people getting a public office through a [i:3ttwces3]popular vote[/i:3ttwces3]. :) At least, he never seems to bring it up to discussion...[/quote:3ttwces3]

He's got the same problem that many have had; all for democracy if it means they vote his way. We're hardly unaquainted with the concept here, no?

Member of the Scientific Council and board moderator.

Return to “Judiciary Discussion”