April report is ready

Forum to discuss business matters, commerce and the economy of the CDS

Moderator: SC Moderators

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

April report is ready

Post by Sudane Erato »

But sadly, I can't post it on the website because something is screwy with the website and I can't log onto it. I've sent the error messages to Mizou... I'm sure she can fix it.

I'll try to attach it here... but on trying, it says that the extension PDF is not allowed. So we'll just have to wait. Anyone who wishes to see the April report now... just ask, and I can email it to you

Sudane.......................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: April report is ready

Post by Rosie Gray »

Sudane I juste checked and the website is down.

http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/portal.slcds.info.html

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Mizou Vavoom
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Mizou Vavoom »

The portal is up again but we still need to find a solution. According to my eldest son (the one who built my new pc) the problem lies in the DNS as portal.slcds.info is a sub-domain of a website that is in a totally different place.
I think ideally we need to change the domain name. The domain http://www.slcds.info belongs to Gwyn and the portal uses a sub-domain name off the main domain.
I presume that the DNS has to go through twice through a resolution before it can show the website.
Anybody knows more about DNS resolution and if the solution lies in a new domain name?

'Egidius, waer bestu bleven, mi lanct na di, gheselle mijn. Du coors die doot, du liets mi tleven. Dat was gheselscap, goet ende fijn.'
Gruuthuuse-handschrift -circa 1400
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Mizou Vavoom wrote:

The portal is up again but we still need to find a solution. According to my eldest son (the one who built my new pc) the problem lies in the DNS as portal.slcds.info is a sub-domain of a website that is in a totally different place.
I think ideally we need to change the domain name. The domain http://www.slcds.info belongs to Gwyn and the portal uses a sub-domain name off the main domain.
I presume that the DNS has to go through twice through a resolution before it can show the website.
Anybody knows more about DNS resolution and if the solution lies in a new domain name?

To me this makes sense too Mizou. There's no need for us not to own our domain name, it will just cost a little to have it, and would make it far easier for someone to remember as well. Some suggestions on names for it:

cds.org
cdsportal.org

~ Tommy Douglas
Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Gwyneth Llewelyn »

Hmm some clarification is in order...

portal.slcds.info is pointing to secure-ssl-servers.us, as it always did. And the portal is working for me...

slcds.info and www.slcds.info can be pointed to wherever you wish them to point to :) If they're to be pointed to secure-ssl-servers.us, just let me know, it just takes a few moments :D

I don't understand the 'there's no need for us not to own our domain name' comment. The CDS always owned the slcds.info domain. It was just neualtenberg.org that used to be owned (personally) by Ulrika. But slcds.info is 'ours', the property of the CDS — always was, always will be.

We (and that means, the CDS) also own neufreistadt.info for historical reasons. That's the only one that might be worthy of dropping, if you wish.

cds.org has been the property of the Chicago Dental Society since 2001 so we couldn't register it :) But cdsportal.org is definitely available, and so is slcds.org. The reason for going with .info instead of .org was merely because, at that time, it was far cheaper to register under .info than .org. This is not the case today, I believe the price is pretty much the same, depending on the domain name provider.

We could also register cds.tk or cds.ga for free. There are quite a handful of convenient top level domains which are free to register, good for temporary or semi-permanent registrations. That's why I have things like virtualgovernance.tk and cds-inquirer.tk — they cost zero to maintain.

But take into consideration that we have benefitted from almost a decade of links pointing to slcds.info, and those links are quite valuable. Starting from scratch with a new domain will mean losing that Google PageRank goodness :)

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

PGP Fingerprint: CE8A 6006 B611 850F 1275 72BA D93E AA3D C4B3 E1CB

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Gwyneth Llewelyn wrote:

I don't understand the 'there's no need for us not to own our domain name' comment. The CDS always owned the slcds.info domain. It was just neualtenberg.org that used to be owned (personally) by Ulrika. But slcds.info is 'ours', the property of the CDS — always was, always will be.

cds.org has been the property of the Chicago Dental Society since 2001 so we couldn't register it :) But cdsportal.org is definitely available, and so is slcds.org.

Sorry Gwyn, I worded that very badly indeed. What I meant about 'there's no need for us not to own our domain name', was that there is no reason that the portal needs to be a subdomain name. It would be so much easier for people to remember slcds.org or slcds.info or cdsportal.org.

~ Tommy Douglas
Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Gwyneth Llewelyn »

Oh sure, Rosie, that's pretty easy to do — all that Mizou has to do at her end is to configure her webserver to accept slcds.info as the main name for the portal. In WordPress that just requires changing two tiny configurations :) And although I have no idea how her webserver is configured, I can imagine that it isn't very hard to do, either...

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

PGP Fingerprint: CE8A 6006 B611 850F 1275 72BA D93E AA3D C4B3 E1CB

Mizou Vavoom
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Mizou Vavoom »

Thanks Gwyn, Rosie and Sudane,
I checked with company in Dublin which hosts the portal and their firewall was attacked and flashed. The portal is up again but no access is possible until they have a new Juniper firewall.
Any update/upload to the portal will need to wait until then.
I ftp all files of the portal to my Dropbox and copied the database, and link to Dropbox was sent by email yesterday.
If slcds.info itself is available it might be better to use it than portal.slcds.info.
Will email you later today Gwyn, thanks for your help.

'Egidius, waer bestu bleven, mi lanct na di, gheselle mijn. Du coors die doot, du liets mi tleven. Dat was gheselscap, goet ende fijn.'
Gruuthuuse-handschrift -circa 1400
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

The April report is now in place, where it should be, on the Treasurer's page. Thank you all!!

Sudane....................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg

Return to “Business, Commerce and the Economy”