Tierbox message details

Forum to discuss business matters, commerce and the economy of the CDS

Moderator: SC Moderators

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Tierbox message details

Post by Sudane Erato »

We have a new tierbox system, called CasperLet. It's a modern and fully supported software system, unlike the old Hippo system we used to use which is no longer supported. The Casper system works very well... so far without any glitches, to my knowledge.

But the Casper system has its frustrations and its idiosyncrasies, and I and the EM's are still struggling to overcome them and determine the best way to configure the system so that community members who use it have as seamless and as positive experience as possible.

A big problem we have found is that the Casper system is stingy with information. If a box is "For Sale", touching it and selecting info will just tell you monthly tier and available prims. If a box is taken, and you are not the owner, touching it and selecting info will just tell you that the box is not available. If it is taken, and you ARE the owner, touching it (and selecting Info) will tell you only how many days you have left.

For a long time, under the Hippo system even, we have added a script to the box to provide additional info on how to buy the parcel... which is said whenever and whoever touches the box. This message is now out of date and needs to be replaced. Some informal email chats have been discussing this problem, without a clear resolution. Since it affects every citizen, I felt it would be useful to have a forum discussion.

A reminder about land policy in the CDS. When you purchase a parcel of land, your purchase price is equal to, and pays for, your first month tier. Since there is no mechanism for the tier box to know that you have purchased the parcel, an EM must add that time to your tierbox.

So, here's where we need feedback and discussion. If you walk up to a tierbox and touch it, one of three conditions are present, and we are developing a script to detect which condition it is and to give you a different message, depending on which it is. The 3 are:

1) The box is available / For Sale
2) The box is taken and YOU are the Owner
3) The box is taken and you are NOT the owner.

We need to have a discussion, and a resolution, on what info the box should give for each of those circumstances. For example, if the box is For Sale, the message might be:

"This parcel is For Sale. Monthly tier is L$250 and it has 45 prims. Buy the parcel using About Land, and an Estate Manager will add one month of time for you to the tierbox."

Or....

"This parcel is For Sale. Monthly tier is L$250 and it has 45 prims. Buy the parcel using About Land, and then pay the tierbox one month of tier. An Estate Manager will add an additional month to the box for you."

JUST examples. Please offer your opinions. We also need text for the other conditions... for when YOU are the owner, and for when someone else is the owner.

This has been a knotty problem, and definitely confusing, and we really need the users of the boxes to help arrive at solutions.

Thx!

Sudane....................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Re: Tierbox message details

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

I think the default Casper settings for conditions 2 and 3 are fine. If you are the owner of the box, I'm pretty sure that touching it will give you a menu with options. Personally, I have not had a need for anything more.

If you are not the owner, it seems to me that all you really need to know is that the box is not available.

If the box is available, then a simple message needs to be given that says that the land must be purchased and that 30 days' credit will be given for that purchase.

"This parcel is available! Monthly tier is L$250 and it has 45 prims. Buy the parcel using About Land, and an Estate Manager will add 30 days' credit to the tier box."

The notecard given by the tier box can cover any additional necessary details.

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

I agree with what Sylvia is suggesting. Let's keep it simple!

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

Well, unlike this script, the notecard is easily changed should policies changed, as Casper has a way to load notecards into all the boxes at once. There are actually two notecards, one received when anyone asks for information in any status, and another which is sent only to a newly buying owner.

Perhaps we should use this opportunity to agree on what the notecards should say. Some have suggested that the notecards contain the sim-specific covenants, meaning a different notecard for each sim. That's pretty easy to manage as well.

Sudane...............

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

I'm at work so can't look at the current notecards right now, but I do like the idea of sim-specific covenants being distributed via notecard. That assures that someone can't (convincingly) use the excuse that they did not know later on if they are asked to change a building, etc. I do think we should keep the notecards fairly simple, because people will not read a tl;dr notecard.

So maybe one short and simple notecard with welcome message, names of EMs to contact with questions, URL to the portal, and direction to see the other (lengthier) notecard for covenants?

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

I've installed a draft message script into the tierboxes on FDS. Please have a test of them and let me know any changes you think should be made. Even minor little changes. For example, there's no period after the number of available prims. I'll correct that.

Please note.....

1) If the tierbox/parcel is available, un-sold, you will get the message. Even if its locked. It can only detect if there is an "owner", not if the box is locked or reserved. So if the box is locked or reserved it will provide the same message as if it was available for sale.

2) ANY box that is owned will say nothing at all (except for the selection box that the Casper script provides).

Sudane.............................

*** Confirmed Grump ***

Return to “Business, Commerce and the Economy”