The original challenge can be found here:

http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5863

In response to this challenge Cleopatra Xigalia sent me the following:

[19:35] CLEOPATRA Xigalia: calli
[19:35] CLEOPATRA Xigalia: actually i had tier paid on the 12th
[19:35] CLEOPATRA Xigalia: on DT 4
[19:36] CLEOPATRA Xigalia: and i owned a parcel
[19:36] CLEOPATRA Xigalia: so technically i think you can leave me on the list
[19:38] CLEOPATRA Xigalia: actually i am ok :)
[19:38] CLEOPATRA Xigalia: 2. Citizens shall be entitled to vote in CDS elections and/or stand for office if, on the date set by the Scientific Council in accordance with the Constitution for this purpose, they own at least one parcel of land and are current in their tier payments for at least one parcel. A citizen shall be an individual avatar whose name appears on both the Hippo list as being current in the tier payments and on a list of current parcel owners.

However, Cleopatra had sold DT 4 on Oct 11th. She was present at the sale of the parcel, but did not take a refund and clear the tier box.

Opinion:

Since Cleopatra did not own the parcel D4 at the time of the census, she cannot use her control of the tier box to establish citizenship and the right to vote.

In addition, her action in not clearing the tier box for the new owner of the land and attempting to use that tier box to establish her own citizenship, was a direct action that would result in the disenfranchisement of a new citizen. For a long time citizen, familiar with our laws regarding land ownership, tier and voting rights, this action would be inexcusable; from a member of the RA I feel it to be an impeachable act. I also believe that such an attempt to manipulate the census process for her own protection and benefit should result in a bar to future holding of office.

Since Cleopatra resigned form the RA, impeachment is moot. I would however call on the SC to convene a hearing on this matter,with the intent of barring Cleopatra Xigalia from holding future office in CDS for a specified period of time.

People often say that, in a democracy, decisions are made by a majority of the people. Of course, that is not true. Decisions are made by a majority of those who make themselves heard and who vote -- a very different thing.

Walter H. Judd

Return to “SC Discussion”