RA proposal #1 - Rathaus Stay of execution

Closed forum for all Representative Assembly members. Everybody is allowed to see government in action, but posting and replying is restricted to RA members only.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

RA proposal #1 - Rathaus Stay of execution

Post by Han Held »

I would post this in RA discussions, but I do not have the required permissions to post in that forum. I will have to write my proposals in General, instead.

I am officially requesting of Gaius that the RA review and vote on the following proposal either in our next meeting, or have an emergency vote on it:

wrote:

The Rathaus Consideration act of 2017
Background;

Tor Karlsvalt, Chancellor of the CDS; has either requested or authorized the replacement of the Rathaus in Neufreistadt. He has done this without consent of the RA, and without feedback from the citizenry. Regardless of legal authority, making this drastic change unilaterally, goes against the democratic spirit of the CDS, where everyone's feedback must be solicited.

The Rathaus in the center of Neufreistadt is a historic build which goes back to our days as Neualtenburg. The story of it's creation and first use has value as a 'conversation piece' and is unique which makes it useful in promoting the CDS.

The Rathaus is an integral part of the Neufreistadt Marketplatz and due to it's history and due it's inability to be preserved, needs to be handled carefully and any decisions regarding it must be made with the consent of both the citizenry and the Representative Assembly.

Proposal:
The RA will forbid the Chancellor from taking any actions which affect the integrity of Kendra Bancroft's "Rathaus" building until the following conditions are met:

1) That the RA discusses the issue and votes in favor of this replacement

2) That no sooner than April 15th, a survey will be taken of the populace asking for feedback on the question of replacing the Rathaus

3) That no less than 80% of our current citizens respond to the survey outlined in item number 2.

If the RA does not vote in favor of replacement, or if the citizenry does not vote in favor of replacing the Rathaus, or if less than 80% of the citizenry does not take the survey, then the Chancellor will be required to leave the Kendra Bancroft Rathaus intact.

---
"I could talk talk talk, talk myself to death
But I believe I would only waste my breath" -Roxy Music "Remake, remodel"
Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: RA proposal #1 - Rathaus Stay of execution

Post by Han Held »

Also, I'd like my comrades in the RA to email me so that I have your current email addresses -thanks! :)
hanheld ATSIGN yahoo.com

---
Tanoujin Milestone
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Tanoujin Milestone »

I am in favor of a plebiscite, except the 80% threshold. I think it would be weird if e.g. 70% take part and vote pro change with a simple majority but we have to ignore a valid decision because of clause 3.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Ian Maclaren
Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Han Held »

Tanoujin Milestone wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:21 am

I am in favor of a plebiscite, except the 80% threshold. I think it would be weird if e.g. 70% take part and vote pro change with a simple majority but we have to ignore a valid decision because of clause 3.

I'd be willing to modify or remove that clause, especially if we can find a solution to low participation that I outlined in this post: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php? ... 959#p44669

---
Bagheera
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Bagheera »

Should this be a separate thread?

It seems there was a meeting by the Guild recently with the Chancellor in attendance where decisions were made, but only nominal and after-the-fact communications have been provided to the citizenry. Some citizens feel like everything is already a done-deal and they don't feel like they have been included in the decision-making process...or even know exactly what all is going on; as Mizou's post said there were several projects put forth, but we have only heard about one - the Rathaus.

It seems appropriate to me that the RA ought to request the Chancellor to attend the next RA meeting if possible or to make a 3-day request so that the RA may hear a report from the Chancellor soonest. Unless I missed it, the RA has not heard from the Chancellor in over 30 days.

Also, per the Constitution:

Section 3 – Public Oversight

The Chancellor must provide for regular and active citizen participation and public review of any decision concerning land use or the aesthetic or functional environment.

Since we are all friends here, I am trying to say this gently but I don't want to go from person to person, repeating my thought, so instead I am putting this to the RA as something as a body we should follow up on.

It is important that citizens feel like they are part of the process in advance and not made to feel like they are recipients of edicts about which they can do little. In addition, people don't like to be put in the position of having to complain which is much less enjoyable than being able to collaborate.

Perhaps it is our duty as the RA to define some parameters for Section 3 - Public Oversight? A thread created on the forums with a minimum mandatory 30-day discussion period? a presentation to the RA? a public town hall scheduled? any or all of those for work that affects significant look & feel of a sim or replacement of irreplaceable government builds or even builds that have been in place more than 2 terms? These are just starting points for discussion.

I applaud Han for acting on this, but I have been a critic in the past of the RA passing a law to address a singular circumstance without addressing the underlying lapse brought about the situation, so yes, I agree hitting the pause button is called for and getting some kind of consensus from the citizens is definitely in order, but I'd like to codify this in line with our Constitution so we may be proactive instead of reactive in the future.

Usually I Dislike a Cloud Sky
Tonight I Realize That a Cloud Sky
Makes Me Appreciate the Light of the Moon
- impromptu poem composed by Gen'i
as depicted in Yoshitoshi's 100 Aspects of the Moon
Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Han Held »

Bagheera wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:31 pm

I applaud Han for acting on this, but I have been a critic in the past of the RA passing a law to address a singular circumstance without addressing the underlying lapse brought about the situation, so yes, I agree hitting the pause button is called for and getting some kind of consensus from the citizens is definitely in order, but I'd like to codify this in line with our Constitution so we may be proactive instead of reactive in the future.

That makes sense. I was aware that making a one-off edict (such as this) was at least slightly impractical (after Tor's term, it would still be on the books, taking up space).

I'd be willing to withdraw this proposal and instead ask that we on the RA draft legislation along the lines that you've described.

---

Return to “Representative Assembly Discussion”