Moderator: SC Moderators

Callipygian
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

SC meeting June 27-21 8.00 AM SLT - transcript

Post by Callipygian »

[08:29] Delia Lake: we should call this meeting to order
[08:35] Delia Lake: so let's get underway
[08:36] Delia Lake: I put 2 items on our Agenda. Do either of you have anything else we should discuss?
[08:36] Lilith Ivory: not me
[08:36] Callipygian Christensen: I don't think so
[08:36] Delia Lake: ok
[08:37] Callipygian Christensen: oh - something that ties in with the dates I guess so will put it there
[08:37] Delia Lake: First, the schedule for future elections. I read it. it looks good to me
[08:37] Delia Lake: what do you want to add, Calli?
[08:37] Callipygian Christensen: yes,, I think I got all the timeframes right
[08:37] Lilith Ivory: I read it too and think all is ok
[08:37] Lilith Ivory: thank you Calli for doing this work
[08:38] Delia Lake: yes, thank you
[08:38] Callipygian Christensen: regarding the swearing in of the new RA
[08:38] Delia Lake: yes
[08:38] Delia Lake: I was thinking about that too
[08:38] Lilith Ivory nods
[08:38] Callipygian Christensen: It appears the RA does not want to go back to having the date of that included in the official dates timetable, which is fine
[08:39] Lilith Ivory: I do like your idea that the incoming RA has to organise itself and invite the SC to come and do the swearing in
[08:39] Callipygian Christensen: however, reading the transcript of the first RA meeting - which were one to be a stickler about the law , had no business having the extensive agenda it did - but I digress-
[08:40] Delia Lake: right. it had no officers at that time
[08:40] Callipygian Christensen: the mention in the transcript of a 'slight' Constitutional change to cater to one RA member's inflated sense of importance in what the position of a RA member is, is ludicrous
[08:42] Lilith Ivory nods
[08:42] Callipygian Christensen: Lilith - the 'get yourselves organized and let us know' is how its been done for the last couple of years - I think the reason it didn't happen this time is that the SC didn't remind them to do so
[08:42] Delia Lake: I really do feel that since the Constitution specifies that the new terms start on June 1 and Dec 1 that the Chancellor and the RA must be affirmed in office on that day
[08:43] Callipygian Christensen: Delia - that seems to be a change in your thinking from the past - we used to swear in a few days prior to the first of the month iirc
[08:43] Delia Lake: I'm thinking of the US Presidency. The new president takes office on Jan 20. not Jan 25 because the 20th isn't convenient
[08:43] Delia Lake: we could do earlier to take effect on the dates of the new term
[08:43] Delia Lake: but not later
[08:43] Delia Lake: because then we have no functional government
[08:44] Delia Lake: and to have the terms vary in length doesn't make any sense
[08:44] Lilith Ivory: I would be in favour to do the swearing in at the weekend before June 1th
[08:44] Callipygian Christensen: yes, that is what we did - we'd swear in and schedule the first meeting for as close to the 1st as possible, and that meeting was just to elect and sort their archivist and pro tem
[08:44] Lilith Ivory: if june 1 th falls on a weekday we might have to run around and swear the RA members in one by one
[08:45] Delia Lake: I'd be ok with that
[08:45] Lilith Ivory nods
[08:45] Delia Lake: I think that should be on the election schedule
[08:46] Lilith Ivory: I like tis idea - but can we do this without ruling from the RA?
[08:46] Delia Lake: the incoming RA can organize among themselves as to which day an hour works for them, depending on what timezone people are in
[08:47] Delia Lake: yes I think we can decide this
[08:47] Callipygian Christensen: we could put a one week timeframe for the swearing in and have the RA aware that they are expected to arrange a time and place to be sworn in, and notify the Dean of that
[08:48] Callipygian Christensen: They can, at the same time, schedule their first meeting for their elections of officers
[08:48] Delia Lake: the RA doesn't get to say that they are going to vary the term of office according to the convenience of the next incoming RA. that makes no sense. imo having the terms of office fixed in the Constitution is there to ensure that we have continuous government
[08:50] Lilith Ivory nods
[08:50] Lilith Ivory: I like the idea proposed by Calli
[08:50] Delia Lake: that also works. to say that during the week previous to taking office, the incoming RA gathers give their affirmation of office to take effect on Dec 1/June1 and to elect officers
[08:51] Delia Lake: and schedule their first meeting
[08:52] Delia Lake: as I remember there is some precedence for the incoming RA selecting their officers before they officially take office for the term
[08:52] Callipygian Christensen: so RA to schedule swearing-in and officer elections
[08:53] Delia Lake: yes. to gather themselves to do that, yes
[08:53] Callipygian Christensen: is the line entry and the date is from the day after the polls close to May 31 or Nov 30
[08:55] Delia Lake: yes, after the polls close and the officers are announced and before the close of the current term
[08:55] Lilith Ivory nods
[08:57] Delia Lake: Calli, do you want to put that into the spreadsheet and we could then approve the entire doc?
[08:58] Callipygian Christensen: Just updated it
[08:58] Callipygian Christensen: if you look now it should show..and it gives them a 10 day window which should be plenty of time
[08:58] Delia Lake: ok
[08:59] Delia Lake: yes. I see it
[08:59] Lilith Ivory: thank you , looks good for me
[09:00] Delia Lake: move to accept the extended election schedule?
[09:00] Lilith Ivory: I second
[09:00] Delia Lake: all in favor?
[09:00] Callipygian Christensen: aye
[09:01] Lilith Ivory: aye
[09:01] Delia Lake: aye
[09:01] Delia Lake: good. we will publish this election schedule
[09:02] Lilith Ivory: I think we should inform the RA at their next meeting about our decision as they are not very likely to read SC transcripts
[09:02] Delia Lake: I think we should publish in the general notices on the forum also
[09:03] Lilith Ivory: I have no problem with this
[09:03] Delia Lake: thank you, Calli
[09:03] Callipygian Christensen: very welcome

[09:04] Delia Lake: the second item on the agenda is to see if we have a gap in the laws between what is prohibited in the covenants and what is legal recourse
[09:05] Delia Lake: Lilith and I were at a LUC meeting when someone made a comment that a citizen might have a ground level security bot that was kicking people off that property.
[09:05] Callipygian Christensen: that's never been permitted
[09:06] Lilith Ivory: the covenant states that security orbs on ground level are not allowed
[09:06] Delia Lake: we don't know if that is the case or not but I thought maybe we should take a look at our laws to see how that would be handled if the citizen refused to remove it or it was removed then replaced
[09:06] Lilith Ivory: we had to deal with this several times in the past and so far all citizens who had one either removed their orb or left CDS
[09:07] Callipygian Christensen: it's a covenant issue like any other and if they continuously ignore that then they would be asked to leave the CDS
[09:07] Lilith Ivory: but Delia is right, we have no law at all that states how to deal with citizens who purposely violate the covenant after being told otherwise
[09:07] Delia Lake: if there were any covenant violation and the citizen refused to comply and filed a complaint or if the Chancellor filed a complaint with us then what
[09:08] Callipygian Christensen: the Chancellor can ban anyone ignoring the covenant and refusing to comply I would think
[09:08] Delia Lake: the law is clear as to what happens on public property
[09:08] Callipygian Christensen: that would automatically bring it to our attention after..is it 14 days?
[09:09] Delia Lake: and if the citizen then files a complaint for redress with us, what would be the process
[09:09] Callipygian Christensen: the usual..a hearing of them at a meeting, and a decision based on 'this is the covenant'
[09:10] Delia Lake: then what?
[09:11] Delia Lake: if the offender says so what, then what
[09:12] Callipygian Christensen: We uphold the ban and suggest that Anse Chung or other property renters might be a better fit
[09:12] Delia Lake: lol
[09:12] Callipygian Christensen: There is no point having a covenant or laws if people can ignore them.
[09:13] Delia Lake: I agree
[09:13] Callipygian Christensen: People accept the covenant when they purchase a parcel
[09:13] Lilith Ivory: exactly
[09:13] Delia Lake: but does it need to say in one of the laws that refusal to comply with a covenant is a banning offense?
[09:13] Callipygian Christensen: if they don't bother reading it, that is unfortunate, but doesn't mean it can be ignored - so I think it's a fairly simple process of comply or leave
[09:14] Callipygian Christensen: I dont think so..the Chancellor's powers are pretty broad in that regard
[09:15] Lilith Ivory: and I keep telling all chancellors that if they ban someone they need to file a report to the SC so we are aware of it
[09:15] Callipygian Christensen: Perhaps adding something in big letters on the covenant page
[09:16] Delia Lake: if someone is banned for say 14 days for refusing to comply with the covenant, returns and then refuses again, is there a point when the SC can make that ban permanent?
[09:16] Delia Lake: yes, Lil, that's a very important point
[09:17] Callipygian Christensen: I think if we were hearing a covenant issue like this we could include ' failure to comply results in permanent ban and repossession of the parcel.
[09:18] Lilith Ivory: I think if the citizen in question changes mind they can always file a petition to get the ban lifted again
[09:20] Callipygian Christensen: does this describe a security orb in the wrong place?
[09:20] Callipygian Christensen: * Running scripts to either crash the sim or to harass avatars;
[09:21] Delia Lake: so should the covenants say that? that if a citizen fails to comply with the covenant after x requests, the citizen will be banned and the Chancellor will repossess the property?
[09:21] Lilith Ivory: in the covenant security devices are mentioned seperately as you can have them above 1000m
[09:22] Callipygian Christensen: Yes, I think adding that to the Covenants would be a good idea.
[09:22] Delia Lake: yes, so you can secure your skybox
[09:23] Lilith Ivory: General Rules:

All buildings in CDS must be physically plausible, based on the architectural technology of the historical period and culture of the CDS region in which the property is located.
Use no “Full Bright” settings on any of your objects out of doors.
Vendors must be inside of buildings and are only allowed on commercially zoned lots.
No global ban lines. You DO have the right to ban specific individuals from your parcel.
No security devices below 1000 meters.
[09:23] Lilith Ivory: I agree
[09:24] Delia Lake: I'll talk with Kyoko about that. then she can let the RA know that the covenants have been modified
[09:24] Callipygian Christensen: I think add the warning to the Covenants and the main info page leading to them. Anything further is I think, covered under powers of the chancellor to enforce that. (f) to make regulations pursuant to the above; and
(g) to enforce such regulations in accordance with law. - - that's the Chancellor's power to enforce.
[09:25] Delia Lake: that will make it more clear I think
[09:25] Lilith Ivory: yes
[09:25] Delia Lake: I'll talk with Kyoko next week when she returns
[09:26] Delia Lake: I don't have anything else for today
[09:26] Delia Lake: do you?
[09:26] Lilith Ivory: not me
[09:27] Callipygian Christensen: Nothing more from me.

[09:28] Delia Lake: Thank you both. I recommend that we adjourn this meeting.
[09:28] Callipygian Christensen: second that
[09:28] Delia Lake: all in favor?
[09:28] Delia Lake: aye
[09:28] Callipygian Christensen: aye
[09:29] Lilith Ivory: aye

People often say that, in a democracy, decisions are made by a majority of the people. Of course, that is not true. Decisions are made by a majority of those who make themselves heard and who vote -- a very different thing.

Walter H. Judd

Return to “Scientific Council Announcements”