Questions submitted at the RA Candidate Debate, 3 Nov 2013

Delia Lake
Dean of the SC
Dean of the SC

Questions submitted at the RA Candidate Debate, 3 Nov 2013

Post by Delia Lake »

These questions were submitted during the live debate. Because of time constraints they could not be answered at that time. The Candidates are encouraged to post their responses to these questions on this thread. This section is restricted to response posts by persons who are Candidates for the 20th RA.
----------------------------------------------------------
Question 1
[11:30] Rosie Gray: I would ask the other candidates what their positions are on the restrictions that have been proposed for the Chancellors position

Question 2
[12:06] Penelope Gossamer: As a new citizen to CDS, I would like to hear how the candidates suggest new comers learn about CDS and get involved in the community.

Question 3
[12:21] CLEOPATRA Xigalia: What failed policies have led to the decline of the CDS that prompted the chancellor to ask the RA to consider a tier increase?

Question 4
[12:26] CLEOPATRA Xigalia: "Did you ever discuss about redesigning CN as well? and with what criteria?"
(Moderator's note: some candidates have asked if this can be answered by a candidate who did not serve on the previous RAs where sim redesign was discussed. Those candidates might choose to answer 'Would you ever..' in place of 'Did you ever...')

Last edited by Callipygian on Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: add moderator's note
Ranma Tardis

Re: Questions submitted at the RA Candidate Debate, 3 Nov 20

Post by Ranma Tardis »

Question 1
[11:30] Rosie Gray: I would ask the other candidates what their positions are on the restrictions that have been proposed for the Chancellors position

The problem is the RA has not been sending detailed instructions to the Chancellor. It is his job to carry out the will of the RA but not set policy. I would amend that she/he has the authority to carry out law but not determine the use of private property. In fact what is needed is a due process for the state to reclaim land that is fair to citizens yet workable. Perhaps the Science Council could carry out the process with the RA voting yea or nay. Our citizens need to be treated like citizens not rent paying drones.

Question 2
[12:06] Penelope Gossamer: As a new citizen to CDS, I would like to hear how the candidates suggest new comers learn about CDS and get involved in the community.

Wish I could answer this question. It is a problem in both real life and second life. People get caught up in their day to day affairs and usually only speak out when it is a problem. However assuming silence is approval is wrong. Oh it is not a problem with just "newcomers" but all citizens. Maybe a certain level of involvement should be required of all citizens like ancient Greece.

Question 3
[12:21] CLEOPATRA Xigalia: What failed policies have led to the decline of the CDS that prompted the chancellor to ask the RA to consider a tier increase?

Think it is a lack of communication and a sense that sims have to carry their own weight. From time to time all of our sims have lost money. We are a community and not a collection of rent payers. It is important to help all of our citizens and this includes sims. The best way to "fix" a sim is to let the community come up with a plan and run with it. They would have better ideals than non land owners. I find the notion of a sim paying its own way to be very RIGHT Wing American. The Tea Party is behind this nonsense in the USA. I am a member of the Blue Dog Coalition of the Democratic Party. I am so amased that a position so far right is brought up in CDS. It boggles my mind! :shock:

Question 4
[12:26] CLEOPATRA Xigalia: "Did you ever discuss about redesigning CN as well? and with what criteria?"

CN will do better with a redisgined LA, CN statred having problems when LA was put in commission. The slippery slope we fall down is demanding as a community what a majority wants. In the United States we call this the tyranny of the majority. Part of the problem with LA is indecision and that destroyes communities. Now if we introduce this element to another sim, we may have two sims in trouble. Remember we are a non profit community. This is all about the right of association. So bringing up CN would be at best kataki or revenge. I am sure there is a path forward for our Represintional Republic to follow.

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Questions submitted at the RA Candidate Debate, 3 Nov 20

Post by Rosie Gray »

Question 1

When I asked the above question, it was regarding this posting of Josjoha's: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php? ... 766#p20766. I think that Jos makes some valid points about the position of Chancellor. I remember having similar thoughts when I first started examining how the CDS government functioned.

This is a complex issue and I think would be worth taking a careful look at it by the RA and the SC. It does seem to me that there is a lot of discretionery power in the Chancellor's position. Since I have been a citizen of the CDS I've seen 4 different people fill the position, and they have all executed it with restraint and careful thought. What if someone is elected who doesn't though? It's a good questions and perhaps we should make some changes. I would like to know what others think about it.

Question 2

That's a great question Penelope asks. I think the best way for new citizens to learn about the CDS is to chat with other citizens, come to the RA meetings and other meetings, read these forums, and the CDS web portal. There is a lot of history in this community!

I would also say to new citizens, don't expect to understand the CDS all at once. It is a society like any other that has deep roots, many personalities, and lots of traditions. It will take some time, but it will be worth it. There is real value in spending the time to learn about the community. In the meantime though, to get involved - jump in and offer your ideas and your help - throw a party or just hang around and chat to people. Before you know it you'll be roped-into helping out with something interesting. :D

Question 3

I don't know that there were any failed policies that prompted the Chancellor to consider a tier increase. The main problem has been LA's lack of tenants - and it's been stated before but I'll say it again; LA's design and the ancient Roman theme just were not attracting enought people. The tier increase was requested mostly to make up for some of this lack of revnue. However, it was voted down by the RA, as the current tier structure seems to be in line with other similar sims, and the other 4 CDS sims do cover their tier requirements.

Question 4
[12:26] CLEOPATRA Xigalia: "Did you ever discuss about redesigning CN as well? and with what criteria?"[/quote]

I've not discussed redesigning CN other than refreshing some of the very old public builds. The ampthitheatre has just been done, which to me makes a big difference to the sim, and there are other buildings such as the thermae that are pretty dated now. Recently though, some new ideas about how to make the sim more attractive and workable as a commercial hub have come up from one of our newest citizens. I'd be very interested in hearing more of those ideas. I don't think we should leave things as they are, just because they've been there a long time. If there's a good reason to update, then let's examine the situation, set some parameters, and get things done.

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas

Return to “Additional questions submitted to Chancellor & RA Candidates by citizens”