Transcript - First Debate April 4/14 part 1

Callipygian
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Transcript - First Debate April 4/14 part 1

Post by Callipygian »

[16:35] Callipygian Christensen: welcome everyone to the first debate.
[16:36] Callipygian Christensen: Thank you to Gwyn who will moderate, and to Arria who will be the question keepr.
[16:36] Callipygian Christensen: If you hae a question for the candidates please IM it to Arria..she is to the left of the stage.
[16:36] Callipygian Christensen: She will keep them in order for later :)
[16:37] Callipygian Christensen: This will also be transcripted an put on the Forums for those who cannot attend.
[16:37] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thanks for doing this, Arria :))
[16:38] Callipygian Christensen: Format link is in the notecard in the box.
[16:38] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Everybody's ready? :)
[16:38] JerryDon Lane: Yes, thank you
[16:38] Pat (patroklus.murakami): yup
[16:38] Bagheera Kristan: yes
[16:38] Tandra Jupiter: please bare with me we have storms
[16:38] Callipygian Christensen: Gwyn selected a random number, the boxes i font of the chairs had numbers randomly assigned, and people sat where thy chose
[16:38] Bagheera Kristan: thank you
[16:39] Callipygian Christensen: I'll hand it over to Gwyn!
[16:39] Gwyneth Llewelyn: My job is to be quiet today and help to ensure that everybody gets a fair chance to present their platforms and views :)
[16:40] Gwyneth Llewelyn: So, we'll start with 2 minutes for each of you to present your own platform
[16:40] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Then we have some moderator questions
[16:40] Gwyneth Llewelyn: And finally, if we have time left, I hope that we can do audience questions as well
[16:40] Arria (arria.perreault): Questions of the audience : IM or notecard
[16:40] Gwyneth Llewelyn: And send them to Arria please!
[16:40] Callipygian Christensen: We will have time Gwynn :)
[16:40] Gwyneth Llewelyn: :D
[16:41] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Goodie. I'm fine, I can do this all night lol
[16:41] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Anyway, thanks to a very sophisticated method of random selection,
[16:41] Gwyneth Llewelyn: #3 goes first — and that's Pat!
[16:41] Pat (patroklus.murakami): oh. ok!
[16:41] Gwyneth Llewelyn: So Candidate Patroklus Murakami, as soon as you wish to start, I'll try to get the stopwatch going :D
[16:42] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Ready? Steady... go!
[16:42] Patroklus: My campaign theme is “Building Bridges”.
[16:42] Patroklus: It sums up what I’m about and the spirit in which I would work for the CDS if elected Chancellor.
[16:42] Patroklus: I want to Build Bridges between People. We are quite a divided community at the moment.
[16:42] Patroklus: I think I can bring people together by finding out what our citizens are good at, what they are willing to do for the community, and encouraging them to help out.
[16:42] Patroklus: I want to Build Bridges To Rebuild Locus Amoenus.
[16:42] Patroklus: A lot of work has already been done. This by-election gives us an opportunity to complete the build in a more inclusive and collaborative fashion.
[16:42] Patroklus: If elected I will:
[16:42] Patroklus: Set out the Project Plan. We need better communications on this project and a clear plan.
[16:42] Patroklus: Engage the RA. The outstanding issues will need RA input and the revised plan will need their sign-off to proceed to completion.
[16:42] Patroklus: Re-engage the Guild. We need the Artisan’s Guild bought into this project so that we have our best and brightest builders collaborating on the project and supporting apprentice builders.
[16:42] Patroklus: Celebrate! LA has great locations to hold events and we should mark the successful completion of the rebuild project with a party to bring everyone together.
[16:42] Patroklus: I want to Build Bridges to connect our past to the present and the future
[16:43] Patroklus: This year marks our 10th Anniversary.
[16:43] Patroklus: On 21 September 2004 Linden Labs delivered a portion of the Anzere sim to the then Neualtenburg Projekt and our community was born. Since then we have expanded to five sims and almost 80 citizens.
[16:43] Patroklus: We have ten years of history to celebrate.
[16:43] Patroklus: We have six sims (the CDS plus Anzere) to hold events in.
[16:43] Patroklus: We have dozens of past, present and future citizens to welcome to our community.
[16:43] Patroklus: This year we should do them proud. I will begin by holding meetings inworld to get our citizens input as we brainstorm all the fantastic things we could do this year to celebrate our anniversary.
[16:43] Patroklus: I will find out what people can do to help and get them involved in the planning and implementing.
[16:43] Patroklus: This year we should plan for the best Oktoberfest and the best celebration of our history we have seen to date.
[16:43] Pat (patroklus.murakami): Done
[16:44] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[16:44] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thanks Pat! That was incredibly well times :D
[16:44] Gwyneth Llewelyn: *timed even
[16:44] Gwyneth Llewelyn: So, #4 next...
[16:45] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Candidate JerryDon Lane, are you ready? :)
[16:45] JerryDon Lane: Thank you so much for the opportunity to publicly debate the honorable opponents running for the position of the Chancellor’s Office. Who would have ever thought that a democratic experiment such as this—a mere utopian notion held in common within the minds of friends and neighbors—a totally unique and radical idea that some have termed Internet utopianism—would ever take off? Not only did it take off, it soared on the wings of Eagles thanks to the money, integrity and sweat equity invested by our CDS forefathers and mothers. What an honor to be here.
[16:45] JerryDon Lane: I would like to take just a few moments to introduce you to my platform, and I’m happy to personally answer any questions you might have about it. Just shoot me an IM at your convenience. You are also invited to go into the forums at your own convenience and to read the entire platform for yourself at this link: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?p=22249#p22249
[16:46] JerryDon Lane: We have many needs right now in CDS, fellow citizens. We must have better laws, more clearly written laws, a tighter constitution, very clear building codes and covenants watched over by a real planning and zoning board just like they do in major cities around the world.
[16:46] JerryDon Lane: We need an Estate Manager’s Commission to properly organize and coordinate the talented EMs that serve our citizens. And all of this will be instituted once I am elected Chancellor.
[16:47] JerryDon Lane: I intend to fully organize the executive branch of government in CDS to eliminate the current situation where only one person has all duties, powers and responsibilities that are normally assigned to the entire executive branch of most democracies. I’m going to get the government out of your face, my friend, by greatly expanding it and thereby spreading that power and responsibility to a large staff of government rather than vest it in only one person. Even you may be a member of this administration. This is a much better way to do business in CDS.
[16:47] Gwyneth Llewelyn: (10 secs left)
[16:47] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[16:47] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Ok, that's it :)
[16:47] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thank you, JD :)
[16:48] Gwyneth Llewelyn: #1 next — Candidate Tandra Jupiter, are you ready? :)
[16:48] Tandra Jupiter: yes
[16:48] Gwyneth Llewelyn: All righty, go ahead!
[16:48] Tandra Jupiter: We have gathered together To begin A new journey.
Running for chancellor. To achieve what needs to be finished,and proceed forward to the future of Cds. It is a great honor to stand before you all this evening an share with you my ideals, and dreams Of hopes and assurance to the new rebirth,and awakening of our home. Together we can be strong,achieve more and hit every goal we set. As i wrote on the forums,Yes i am still yet a babe . Learning,reading, and focusing in being all i can be, not for just myself,but for you the people of CDS.
[16:48] Tandra Jupiter: I will not stand up here and lie to you and make you promises i cant keep. But i will do my very best,to prove to you i will do all i can,to make you proud of me. I can stand up here and give you
solutions to this and that....but there is something we all must have.....that is the WILL to. To communicate, be the best we can be.
Pulling together being as one ,we can and will accomplish our
very dreams together. Lets put our differences aside, ban together,
[16:49] Tandra Jupiter: lets GET LA FINISHED!!! WOOO HOOOO Without all the fears of what if's! Lets go forward with the plan in process!!
Redo some laws, have activities ,and work on new things.
From this moment on
i want you to feel the positivity....Lets make new enlighten history
of our wonderful home CDS!!!
[16:49] Tandra Jupiter: please feel free to ask me anything i will do my best to answer the best i can
[16:49] Gwyneth Llewelyn: (10 secs left)
[16:49] Tandra Jupiter: Thanbk you
[16:50] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[16:50] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thank you Tandra! Right on time :)
[16:50] Tandra Jupiter: : )
[16:50] Tandra Jupiter: yvw
[16:50] Gwyneth Llewelyn: #2 — Candidate Bagheera Kristan, are you ready?
[16:50] Bagheera Kristan: yes, thank you
[16:50] Bagheera Kristan: My original platform at the beginning of this term was ambitious in scope, it was also dependent on the help of many citizens to see through.

While I admire the zeal of my colleagues who are also running for Chancellor and their platforms, my advice to them is they had better have a Plan B for when the volunteers they are counting on do not materialize.

I had a recent conversation with another ex-Chancellor whose rueful joke was “PIO? What’s that?”

When I took office, I had lofty ambitions and thought I would have lots of help...
...I was unprepared for the lack of help forthcoming
...I was unprepared for some of the actions taken that seemed directly intended to cripple my ability to do my elected duties
...I was unprepared for the negativity and the persistence in desire by some to believe the worst in my intentions, no matter what I did
...And perhaps the biggest lesson for me was to come face to face with my own ignorance about things I thought I had a grasp of and also to come to recognize
[16:50] Bagheera Kristan: that others were ignorant who sincerely thought and presented themselves as experts in matters critical to CDS’ health.
[16:51] Bagheera Kristan: So, I had many goals when I took office.

One of them, the one that was closest to my heart, was to begin to make inroads towards making CDS robust enough to accommodate personalities that didn’t get along, to introduce procedures that gave people graceful ways to live next door to each other under the law. That is still what is closest to my heart and what I will endeavor to do, whether I am in the Office of Chancellor or out as a common citizen.

However, as Chancellor, I had a little more clout to make it happen. The first and biggest thing I did was articulate loudly and clearly that the Chancellor would handle all covenant complaints. The link to that is here on the forums:
Chancellor's Office handles all Covenant Enforcement / http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4272

The reason behind this was because, up until I took office, it was a pretty common occurrence that one citizen would endeavor to enforce covenants on another citizen’s build or would say acrimonious things about the
[16:51] Bagheera Kristan: neighborhood, sometimes it seems solely as a way to continue a festering feud, resulting in serious hard feelings and disruptive squabbles both public and private.
[16:51] Bagheera Kristan: Many of you have asked, “Didn’t you quit? Why are you running again?”

That is a fair question.

I wanted to make a point I thought was essential regarding what I judged as the inappropriateness of a secret petition being passed around and my frustration that so many of the leadership who participated didn’t see it that way. I felt the only way I could be heard was by making the sacrifice of stepping down with one of my hopes being such a dramatic act would make some people re-evaluate. (I did not know there was no plan in place for such eventuality and apologize for throwing CDS into temporary disarray)

My feelings about that were best articulated by me here:

Re: Questions for Candidates / http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php? ... ard#p22262
[16:51] Bagheera Kristan: During my time in Office, I did accomplish some of the important goals I set out to do...I believe I played an important role in getting Locus Amoenus kickstarted. My “Chancellor enforces covenants” decree cut down a great deal on neighbor to neighbor complaints with the unexpected outcome of mostly government officials making complaints.

What I learned while in office was that the handing off of Chancellor responsibilities is in serious disarray - not because of anyone’s fault but because the position is far reaching and the documentation is all over the place and also because the Office has been held by so few for so long that people forget the newly-minted Chancellor doesn’t know what was obvious to the old Chancellor.

The irony is not lost on me that my abrupt departure from the post will put the next Chancellor in the same pot of hot water I was in...and I had really seen the last part of my tenure as an opportunity to straighten critical things out and continue the work Tor started of
[16:51] Bagheera Kristan: documenting all the things a Chancellor needs to do and provide a structure of tools to help with that.
[16:51] Bagheera Kristan: If I am elected, I see that as being my goal for the last month of this term as well as handling any day-to-day business that comes to hand and finishing the work that is almost done with Locus Amoenus.

I do not intend to run next term but instead want to turn my attention to creating some supportive workshop of former Chancellors and others to give prospective Chancellors and anyone who wants to understand sim management a grounded place to get the tools they need for such a demanding job. If I am elected, that will give me a better opportunity to lay this groundwork, which I believe is so critical now.

I love Pat’s reminder about Oktoberfest and our 10th Anniversary, something I know Tor has also invested a lot of time and energy into recognizing. If elected, I would encourage them to continue to take leadership in organizing this celebration as well as invite all other citizens to use the Chancellor’s office to help them facilitate events within CDS - something the Chancellor has always done for
[16:51] Bagheera Kristan: its citizens.

Finally, three weeks ago, on March 17th, the country of Ireland had a conference called “We Need to Talk about Ireland” at their government hall. You can find it on Youtube. One of the speakers there said something that struck home to me. He said “sometimes it isn’t about winning or losing, but showing the way things ought to be.” Whoever wins, I will bow to the will of the people and support the victor. That is how things ought to be. Thank you.
[16:52] Bagheera Kristan: done ty
[16:52] Gwyneth Llewelyn: (10 seconds left)
[16:52] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[16:52] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Great, Bagheera, thanks :))
[16:53] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thanks to *all* of you for being so good at summarizing!
[16:54] Gwyneth Llewelyn: All right, let's go to the moderator questions...
[16:54] Gwyneth Llewelyn: The candidates should know them beforehand, but for the benefit of the audience,
[16:54] Gwyneth Llewelyn: I'm repeating them again:
[16:54] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Q1. What do you believe the role and duties of the Chancellor to be currently, and which of these duties, if any, do you feel
[16:54] Gwyneth Llewelyn: should be removed from the Chancellor's control?
[16:55] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Jerry will start first.... 2 minutes, Jerry!
[16:55] JerryDon Lane: A free democracy becomes possible only due to two factors. #1, The citizenry must be able to vote fairly and freely to elect a representative government, And #2, once that government is elected, it must be organized into equal branches with balanced power in order to insure that the government remains a government for, by and of the people.

One of those branches is the executive branch and in our case, in our little democratic home called CDS, that executive branch is known as the Chancellor’s Office. The Chancellor’s Office in CDS has much power. In fact, it carries a similar power structure to that of the President of the United States except, of course, on a much smaller scale.
[16:55] JerryDon Lane: Traditionally in CDS, a Chancellor is elected and many times fails to put together much of any government at all to accomplish the powerful administrative tasks of that office. They try to do all the work themselves. They are the ultimate power….some want to be in your face and never let you forget where the buck stops in CDS government. It stops with them, the elected Chancellor.

That attitude is wrong, Ladies and Gentlemen. And, let me state that I feel there is no single power that need be taken from the executive branch, rather there is much too much power vested in that office for any one single person to wield. A government, not a single person, needs to be organized in the executive branch to wield that power fairly and justly on behalf of the people they represent.
[16:56] JerryDon Lane: When I am elected Chancellor, I will fix this. I am on record as stating there will be about 30 positions in the executive branch, not just one, or a couple. There will be a Board of Public Service to handle disputes among the people, a Planning and Zoning Commission to write zoning statutes for the RA to consider and to assist in covenant enforcement.

There will be an Events Commission to concentrate only on promoting CDS and the businesses within it—a Legislative Commission will work with the RA in organizing and clarifying our laws and to aid in repealing those no longer needed. Additionally, there will be an Estate Manager’s Commission to keep the Ems focused and organized.
[16:56] JerryDon Lane: There will be a real government. Not just a single person who runs around like a chicken with its head cut off trying to do all of that and trying to govern fairly by himself or herself. That cannot be effectively done. I will bring change to that office via organization and strong leadership of that organization. I’m finished, Thank you.
[16:57] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[16:57] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thank you, Jerry, that was well within time limits!!
[16:57] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Tandra, you're next !
[16:57] Tandra Jupiter: thank you
[16:58] Tandra Jupiter: Being military family there is nothing you cant do including all that includes chandellor however
[16:59] Tandra Jupiter: I do not oppose the help i think it would be better to lighten the load so the chancellor can better get to know the people
[16:59] Tandra Jupiter: if i was to change it would be this
[16:59] Tandra Jupiter: NL 7-9 Financial Reporting Act
Financial Reporting Act
The Chancellor will be required to issue a monthly report listing all income and expenditures made by the executive branch, including contributions received by the CDS and RA allocated funds. The report must indicate the individual who contributed or received funds, and the exact amount received or spent, or, if this is not possible, a realistic estimate of the value of services or contributions in kind. The report should include the total tier received, but need not list it by individual.
Contributions include any funds given or gifts in kind to the CDS, the Chancellor, or any member of the executive staff made in connection with any event, activity, or project sponsored or run by the executive branch. Expenditures include any payment for a good or service spent in connection with a any event, activity, or project sponsored or run by the executive branch.
The Chancellor must remove any staff member found to have violated this statute.
[16:59] Tandra Jupiter: I think it would be importan for the treasure to help step and do this thank you so much
[16:59] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[16:59] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thanks, Tandra :) Well-timed!
[17:00] Tandra Jupiter: Yvw
[17:00] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Now, #2, Bagheera, it's your turn!
[17:00] Bagheera Kristan: thank you
[17:00] Bagheera Kristan: Rose has just completed or is just completing the enormous task of getting all our laws together. Arria has done a thoughtful job also of researching land management and Chancellor responsibilities.
[17:00] Bagheera Kristan: At this time, I think what is needed is to put in some serious study by citizens and government alike now that we are finally getting all our documentation orderly and up to date.
[17:01] Bagheera Kristan: I wouldn’t recommend any changes until that is done.
[17:01] Bagheera Kristan: I see my role in office as helping with that research, since a Chancellor has the hands-on experience to translate what was a theoretical law into how it manifests inworld in practical application.
[17:01] Bagheera Kristan: Done. thank you
[17:01] Gwyneth Llewelyn: You still have a minute left :D
[17:01] Bagheera Kristan: ah lol :) please share it elsewhere
[17:01] Gwyneth Llewelyn: That's fine, you might get it later as a bonus ....
[17:02] Gwyneth Llewelyn: .... assuming I can STOP the stopwatch too...
[17:02] Gwyneth Llewelyn: hehe no. We'll have to lighten up the mood while it runs to the end...
[17:02] Bagheera Kristan: I could sing.. la la la
[17:02] Gwyneth Llewelyn: yes!
[17:02] Bagheera Kristan: la la tra la
[17:02] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[17:02] Gwyneth Llewelyn: There it goes! Thank you, Bagheera :)
[17:02] Gwyneth Llewelyn: #3 — Pat, it's your turn :)
[17:02] Patroklus: I believe this is a question that should be asked of the RA, not the Chancellor.
[17:03] Patroklus: The RA makes the laws and the Chancellor works within the bounds set by them.
[17:03] Patroklus: I think that the concern comes from the power, granted in the Constitution, “to determine the use to which any and all land in CDS shall be put”.
[17:03] Naftali Torok: lol
[17:03] Patroklus: This has been part of the Constitution since we set up the office of Chancellor eight years ago.
[17:03] Patroklus: Eight years, at least seven chancellors (the ones whose names I can recall) and, to the best of my knowledge this has never been a problem.
[17:03] Patroklus: One point people leave out is that this is “subject to the laws of CDS”.
[17:03] Patroklus: So, if the RA want to put some boundaries around this, that’s entirely up to them.
[17:03] Patroklus: I think, if we are looking at powers, we should look comprehensively at our system of checks and balances on all the government branches.
[17:03] Patroklus: What we have has grown up organically over the years and singling one branch out for special attention does not seem fair to me.
[17:04] Patroklus: Done.
[17:04] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Hehe that was fast too :)
[17:04] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thank you, Pat — you still have 30 secs to sing, whistle, or tell some jokes ;)
[17:04] Pat (patroklus.murakami): sorry. tried to slow it down
[17:04] Pat (patroklus.murakami): have you heard the one about....
[17:04] Gwyneth Llewelyn: :-)
[17:04] Pat (patroklus.murakami): oh no time!
[17:04] Gwyneth Llewelyn: heh
[17:06] Gwyneth Llewelyn: All right, it seems it's fine to proceed.... let's go to question #2...
[17:06] Gwyneth Llewelyn: As you all know,
[17:06] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Covenant enforcement has played a major role in recent Forum discussions.
[17:06] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Q2. What procedures and practises will you put in place to ensure that the process of covenant enforcement is
[17:06] Gwyneth Llewelyn: understood by the populace and performed in an equitable manner?
[17:06] Gwyneth Llewelyn: So now we'll start with Tandra, right?
[17:07] Gwyneth Llewelyn: When you're ready, Tandra, please go ahead!
[17:07] Tandra Jupiter: kk sorry the storm is making me freeze up
[17:07] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Awwww
[17:09] Tandra Jupiter: When you go to purchase land you read all before you agee to being in that cov. I would express and go into details with every buyer and pass them note cards of all the rules and reg and go over it with them in detail to be sure it was understood . That would be my effort to see it happend
[17:09] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[17:09] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Tandra, I'll give you an extra minute if you wish, because of your issues.... is that fine? Or are you really finished with your answer?
[17:10] Tandra Jupiter: I may have to do it in form im trying to hang in here loool
[17:10] Tandra Jupiter: however
[17:10] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Ok.... let's break the rules a bit.... prepare your answer on a notecard, Tandra, and you'll have a chance at the end, after the rest of the candidates are done...
[17:10] Tandra Jupiter: i would make sure all em and lm had these and went over them with the people .
[17:11] Tandra Jupiter: its ok
[17:11] Gwyneth Llewelyn: ok :)
[17:11] Gwyneth Llewelyn: In that case, Bagheera, you're next.... please go ahead!
[17:11] Bagheera Kristan: I would follow the same as I set out at the beginning of this last term as that did seem to be working exceptionally well. I gave the link earlier, in my platform statement of this debate.
[17:11] Bagheera Kristan: I might add in a bit more collaboration with the RA so that issues government officials seem to have had covenant enforcement are addressed by the proper branch of government in a positive way.
[17:12] Bagheera Kristan: Done
[17:12] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Aw that was fast again :)
[17:12] Bagheera Kristan: The link to that is here on the forums:
Chancellor's Office handles all Covenant Enforcement / http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4272
[17:12] Bagheera Kristan: okay, now done :)
[17:12] Bagheera Kristan: whistles and tap dances for the audience
[17:12] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Well, I'm sure you all are going to accumulate extra time for the questions from the audience, lol
[17:12] Gwyneth Llewelyn: We will need a much more sophisticated stopwatch, one that svaes seconds for later....
[17:13] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[17:13] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Lucky me, I don't need to prevent the candidates from speaking, but encourage them to speak more! lol
[17:14] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Pat, it's your turn next!
[17:14] Pat (patroklus.murakami): ok
[17:14] Patroklus: I want to spend most of my time working to complete the LA rebuild and celebrate our 10th anniversary.
[17:14] Patroklus: I’m not saying that maintaining building in line with our covenants is not important, it’s just that I don’t want to spend most of my time if elected dealing with these kind of issues.
[17:14] Patroklus: I think this is one area where sensitivity and discretion are the watchwords. I disagree profoundly with my fellow candidate who thinks this should all take place in public view.
[17:15] Patroklus: If one of my builds is not compliant with the covenants I would rather someone approached me privately with an offer to help rather than putting it all out for others to jump in on and judge.
[17:15] Patroklus: So, I will encourage people to contact me privately if they are concerned about their build or someone elses.
[17:15] Patroklus: I also don’t think I’m the best judge of what is/is not in theme. I’ll appoint an Advisory Committee to help me decide on these kind of issues.
[17:15] Patroklus: I like the idea of making any approved variations from the covenants transparent. I will endeavour to work out which waivers have been granted and make them visible. I like the idea of having a seal on buildings which have been approved by the Chancellor
[17:15] Patroklus: Done
[17:16] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thank you, pat! Again, plenty of time left.... I don't know,
[17:16] Gwyneth Llewelyn: we might need much more complicated questions for you guys lol
[17:16] Pat (patroklus.murakami) whistles a tune and congoes
[17:16] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Ok, thanks, Calli!
[17:16] Gwyneth Llewelyn: So we can go straight back to Jerry
[17:16] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Jerry, whenever you wish to start....
[17:16] JerryDon Lane: It is impossible for the public to understand building codes that do not exist except for arbitrary decisions rendered in the minds of another individual. How is it logical for a reasonable person to know exactly what build best benefits his community when the final outcome of the acceptability of his build resides only in the opinion of another person who may, or may not like it?
[17:17] JerryDon Lane: That’s just silly. We need a set of written building and zoning codes so that our desires as a community are written and can be easily understood by any interested party. I have stated previously that I will establish a Planning and Zoning Commission and charge them with the task of doing exactly this.
[17:17] JerryDon Lane: This planning and Zoning Commission will consist of 4 members and a chairperson. They will be the final arbiters in the Chancellor’s office, but fully under the supervision of the elected Chancellor, to institute these codes in collaboration with the RA, to inspect builds to insure covenant compliance and to assist newcomers personally with their build if so requested.
[17:18] JerryDon Lane: When there are disputes and disagreements, every citizen will have the right to a full hearing before the entire board. What could be more fair and equitable a system for the citizen than this? In my administration, the days of one person wielding all the power in the executive branch in this area will come to a halt. Thank you. I’m finished.
[17:18] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[17:18] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Great, thanks so much :)
[17:18] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Whew, this is going well :D
[17:19] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thanks to you guys.
[17:19] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Tandra, after checking with the SC, it seems better that your remaining answer for this question shall be posted at the forums,
[17:19] Gwyneth Llewelyn: to make it fair to everybody else. Is that ok?
[17:19] Gwyneth Llewelyn: If yes, we can go ahead to question #3
[17:19] Tandra Jupiter: yes
[17:20] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Ok, thanks!
[17:20] Tandra Jupiter: *:-.,_,.-:*'``'*Thank You!!!!*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*
[17:20] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Then, for the benefit of those who don't know the questions in advance,
[17:20] Arria (arria.perreault): Maybe a reminder : please send me questions from the audience ㋡
[17:20] Gwyneth Llewelyn: here goes the last moderator question — afterwards we will have a short break, and then rebuttal
[17:20] Gwyneth Llewelyn: And please keep Arria busy :D
[17:20] Gwyneth Llewelyn: hehe
[17:20] Arria (arria.perreault): ㋡
[17:20] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Meaning: MORE questions. MORE!
[17:20] Gwyneth Llewelyn: lol
[17:21] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Anyway, #3....
[17:21] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Communication has been mentioned a number of times in Forum discussion, including within the CDS community and to SL at large.
[17:21] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Q3. How do you intend to maintain or improve communication between the office of
[17:21] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Chancellor and the citizens of CDS, and publicize CDS to the larger SL community as required
[17:21] Gwyneth Llewelyn: by the Constitution?
[17:21] Gwyneth Llewelyn: So we will start with Bagheera, if I'm not mistaken....
[17:22] Gwyneth Llewelyn: If you're ready, Bagheera, please go ahead!
[17:22] Bagheera Kristan: Something I learned about myself, after I took Office...
[17:22] Bagheera Kristan: Communication to a large public audience is not my greatest strength - and I acknowledge that. I am not too proud to ask for help and will endeavor to improve how well and frequently I communicate to the citizens...
[17:22] Bagheera Kristan: Whenever asked a question, I always answer. My weakness is not always knowing there is a question until asked. So you can help me by reminding me. I do not take offense. I will be grateful. Everyone has weaknesses.
[17:22] Bagheera Kristan: My strengths in relation to this, I hope and believe, are I endeavor to not take offense where none is intended, so please, always feel free to say or ask anything...and I always endeavor to think about the need behind the question and give useful answers.
[17:22] Bagheera Kristan: Done
[17:23] Gwyneth Llewelyn: That was fast again, Bagheera! Oh my.
[17:23] Bagheera Kristan: I am probably missing a question.. lol
[17:23] Gwyneth Llewelyn: I surely hope you guys at the audience are piling up those questions to Arria, so we get the candidates sweating with lack of time :)
[17:24] Gwyneth Llewelyn: But thanks, guys, for keeping it to the point. It's so much better that way :)
[17:24] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[17:24] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Anyway...
[17:24] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Pat is next :)
[17:24] Pat (patroklus.murakami): ty gwin
[17:24] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Please go ahead when you're rwady!
[17:24] Pat (patroklus.murakami): Gwyn
[17:24] Patroklus: Done.
[17:24] Patroklus: If I’m elected, you’ll get sick of hearing from me or I won’t be doing my job!
[17:25] Patroklus: I don’t think this is difficult, you use all the channels available to you.
[17:25] Patroklus: The forums, inworld notices and group chat.
[17:25] Patroklus: Inworld meetings - regular Town Halls would be a good idea.
[17:25] Patroklus: I’ll attend every RA meeting that I can - time zone willing - and gladly provide a report on progress on the LA rebuild and other matters.
[17:25] Patroklus: I’ll use Twitter, Plurk and Facebook too
[17:25] Patroklus: We have a great opportunity this year to publicise ourselves to the wider SL community. We will have a beautiful, renewed Locus Amoenus to show off and 10 years of history to celebrate.
[17:25] Patroklus: Let’s get ourselves showcased in the Destination Guide and the major SL publications.
[17:25] Patroklus: Done.
[17:26] Pat (patroklus.murakami) does an irish jig to fill in time....
[17:26] Gwyneth Llewelyn: That was quick too :) Thank you Pat!
[17:26] Gwyneth Llewelyn: and lol
[17:26] Gwyneth Llewelyn: I think I have an animation for that!
[17:26] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[17:27] Gwyneth Llewelyn: All right, Jerry, it's your turn, whenever you're ready!
[17:27] JerryDon Lane: Communication problems, in any situation where a party can be positively or negatively affected in some way, always cause uneasiness, uncertainty and insecurities that often lead to stress, misunderstandings and sometimes even conflict. I have already gone on record as quoting an old adage: power is knowledge and in a democratic system where the people have knowledge, the citizens can be secure knowing that indeed, they are empowered.
[17:27] JerryDon Lane: I intend to keep the line of communications to the Chancellors office unobstructed and easily accessible both the other government bodies in CDS and also a line directly hooked to the people. First, in establishing that line of communication, I have a reputation as an approachable guy and I’ll always make every attempt to be personally available to the individual citizen at their convenience.
[17:28] JerryDon Lane: Second, when elected to the Chancellor’s Office I will take advantage of the traditional position termed the PIO (Public Information Officer) to concentrate exactly on what the name implies: the communication of information. This person will be charged with the duties of doing what the name of the position implies: acting as a communication channel between the public and the Chancellor’s Office and, at the convenience of the public.
[17:28] JerryDon Lane: The forums will become active with press releases and information emanating from the Chancellor’s Office and also with information and input from the people leading back to that office and those postings will be managed by the PIO. This Officer will also make themselves available to be contacted by an IM or a notecard delivery at the convenience of the public to help them with any need they might have or simply to answer a question or to provide support.

We intend to make CDS a better place to live by instituting a communication system where everyone stays informed and can participate by providing input and having a direct voice into the Chancellor’s Office. That's a better way. Thank you, I am finished.
[17:29] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[17:29] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thank you so much :)
[17:30] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Ok, and it's back to TAndra.... whenever you're ready, Tandra!
[17:30] Gwyneth Llewelyn: I hope it's warmer now at your place....
[17:30] Callipygian Christensen: I think we lost Tandra to the storm
[17:31] Gwyneth Llewelyn: I hope not!
[17:31] Callipygian Christensen: she's ben gone for a bit now
[17:31] Callipygian Christensen: If o, Ill have her post her notecards in the Forum
[17:31] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Ok.... let's do it that way.
[17:32] Gwyneth Llewelyn: "Always have a Plan B"
[17:32] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Wait, I shouldn't be saying that!
[17:32] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Oops
[17:32] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Anyway!
[17:32] Gwyneth Llewelyn: 5 minutes break, everybody :)
[17:32] Pat (patroklus.murakami): brb
[17:32] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Great, the stopwatch does 5 minutes too hehe
[17:32] Gwyneth Llewelyn: For the benefit of the audience....
[17:32] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Calli has provided a box here,
[17:32] Gwyneth Llewelyn: where you have all the rules,
[17:33] Gwyneth Llewelyn: as well as the moderator questions
[17:33] Gwyneth Llewelyn: and how you should contact the question keeper, who is Arria today
[17:33] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Remember one thing, guys...
[17:33] Gwyneth Llewelyn: All questions you wish to address the candidates will be asked to ALL of them
[17:33] Gwyneth Llewelyn: So each, in turn, will answer that question you have
[17:33] Bagheera Kristan: was there a rebuttal period?
[17:33] Gwyneth Llewelyn: We're not doing "personal" questions
[17:34] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Ah yes Bagheera — after the break,
[17:34] Bagheera Kristan: sorryokay
[17:34] Gwyneth Llewelyn: we'll give each of the candidates 2 minutes for rebuttal
[17:34] Callipygian Christensen: after he break Bags..the break is your time to prep it
[17:34] Bagheera Kristan: ty
[17:34] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Yes, you should be busy preparing that heheheh
[17:34] Gwyneth Llewelyn: So, to repeat that — you, the *audience* are allowed to ask whatever you wish from ALL the candidates, but not ask INDIVIDUAL questions,
[17:35] Gwyneth Llewelyn: (you're forgiven, Xuryon, and btw, everybody is welcome to discuss in public on the CDS group chat)

[17:37] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[17:37] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Ok! Rebuttal time
[17:37] Gwyneth Llewelyn: To remind the candidates:
[17:37] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Each candidate will have 2 minutes of time for rebuttal, confirmation, clarification, or to provide additional information.
[17:38] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Poor Tandra seems to have really logged off
[17:38] Gwyneth Llewelyn: So the first to start his rebuttal will be Pat
[17:38] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Whenever you're ready, Pat, please go ahead :)
[17:38] Patroklus: i think that the other candidates have made excellent points and set out their stalls
[17:39] Patroklus: i'd like to think that what makes my manifesto distinctive
[17:39] Patroklus: and my answers to questions
[17:39] Patroklus: is that i've been very specific about what i would do if elected
[17:39] Patroklus: i've said how i would build bridges
[17:39] Patroklus: i've said how i would complete the LA rebuild
[17:39] Patroklus: I've said how i would celebrate our 10th birithday
[17:39] Patroklus: i hope that gives people confidence that they know what i woudl do if elected
[17:40] Pat (patroklus.murakami): so, even if you don't like what i say, you at least know where i'm coming from
[17:40] Pat (patroklus.murakami): and whether you vote for me or one of the other candidates
[17:40] Pat (patroklus.murakami): you know what you would be getting if i'm elected
[17:40] Pat (patroklus.murakami): ty, that's all :)
[17:40] Gwyneth Llewelyn: hehe
[17:40] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[17:40] Gwyneth Llewelyn: again, you've finished well before the end of your rebuttal time
[17:40] Gwyneth Llewelyn: :)
[17:41] Gwyneth Llewelyn: So Jerry, it's your turn next!
[17:41] JerryDon Lane: I really only have one rebuttal, and that is to address Pat's postulation that he has no problem conducting government business in private. I would like to remind him that a democracy is supposed to be a government of, by and for the people. The people are in charge, not Pat. He is only representing their wishes. And the people have a right to know what is happening when he is conducting their business.
[17:42] JerryDon Lane: When I'm elected Chancellor, I will demand openness and transparency in my administration. That is the way it should work in a representative republic. Business conducted in the closet is simply not democracy....I'm sorry. I'm finished, thank you.
[17:43] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[17:43] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thanks, Jerry :-))
[17:43] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Now it should have been Tandra's turn...
[17:43] Gwyneth Llewelyn: ... alas, we'll publish her rebuttal later on the forums :(
[17:43] Gwyneth Llewelyn: So, please, Bagheera, go ahead whenever you're ready!
[17:44] Bagheera Kristan: okay, thank you, ready
[17:44] Bagheera Kristan: **Pat, I wanted to respond to your misunderstanding of my methods for covenant enforcement if was me you were referring to.
You seemed to think I thought it ought to be in public view. My approach was the exact opposite of that.
[17:44] Bagheera Kristan: My approach included a private exchange between the complainer and the Chancellor and then a private exchange between the Chancellor and the owner of the build under complaint.

The exception to this is when the complaint is in the form of a petition circulated through CDS. My reason for a petition being public is because it already has been made selectively public by the person(s) passing it around. The one person decidedly left in the dark is the person about whose build the complaint is being made.
[17:45] Bagheera Kristan: ** To all of you, again, I wish you luck with your hopes for a robust staff. I’m not going to say you cannot do it, only that history doesn’t support your chances. So prepare for things not turning out that way. Even the most well meaning supporter can be distracted by RL, if nothing else.
[17:45] Bagheera Kristan: **It isn’t shiny and twinkly, but as I stated in my platform, I would use this month in Office to strengthen the tools for incoming Chancellors going forward so that there may be a clean transition and the Office won’t be an overwhelming chore. That and completing the LA build and doing the best I can by every citizen, as I hope I demonstrated in the past.
[17:45] Bagheera Kristan: Done, thank you.
[17:46] Debate Timer: Time is up - thank you.
[17:46] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Thank you, Bagheera, that was also in time :D
[17:46] Gwyneth Llewelyn: All right, now we'll go to the questions from the audience.
[17:47] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Please accept the apologies of the moderation team for taking a bit of time to sort them out
[17:47] Gwyneth Llewelyn: (aye, we're busy in IMs too about your questions!)
[17:48] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Ok, to recap....
[17:48] Gwyneth Llewelyn: For the benefit of those who haven't read the notecard....

(continued in part 2 - separate post)

People often say that, in a democracy, decisions are made by a majority of the people. Of course, that is not true. Decisions are made by a majority of those who make themselves heard and who vote -- a very different thing.

Walter H. Judd

Return to “Debate transcripts”