Content Archivist - new means of backup?

Please post your questions and answers here.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Content Archivist - new means of backup?

Post by Aliasi Stonebender »

First off, take a look here.

This could be used to make a central depository of CDS public content without having to necessarily trust one specific avatar (even if that avatar is me, right now).

Should we do this?

Member of the Scientific Council and board moderator.
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Content Archivist - new means of backup?

Post by Sudane Erato »

Aliasi, for those non-techies among us, (like me!), could you explain what this Meerkat thingie is and how it would help the content archive process?

Sudane..........................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Aliasi Stonebender »

Sudane Erato wrote:

Aliasi, for those non-techies among us, (like me!), could you explain what this Meerkat thingie is and how it would help the content archive process?

Sudane..........................

I think the video pretty much explains it. It uses something like the "BuilderBot" Rezzable talked about a bit ago - it allows you to backup and restore objects from the SL grid, and to import/export items from SL to OpenSim-and-similar grids. (Meerkat itself is Yet Another attempt at an open-source SL client unencumbered by closed software, like Impudence.)

Most of the hoo-rah has been about how it could be used as a Copybot - never mind copybot has been in existence a good long while at this point and the grid hasn't collapsed - but in our case we have a legal title to everything paid for public CDS use so it's not an issue to begin with; you could have the builder use Meerkat to back it up and email/upload the resulting XML file!

Most of the stuff currently in the archive we'll have to negotiate with the original creator, if we don't have full permissions, of course. Unless someone hollers real loud I'll probably test-archive a few of the ones that are, just to make sure it's wholly practical. But I like the idea of being able to guard against asset cluster messups and the possibility of establishing the CDS on a non-LL grid (with our public works), should they become more popular.

Member of the Scientific Council and board moderator.
Arria Perreault
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Arria Perreault »

I find personally this idea great.

Timo Gufler
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Timo Gufler »

Technically Aliasi's idea is brilliant and would solve the problem of relying in a single avatar. Still, as far as I know, Meerkat viewer is not listed in Third-Party Party Viewer Directory of Linden Labs. Only the listed ones comply with the Policy on Third-Party Viewers, that is required by LL. I wouldn't recommend us to choose any viewer, that would risk the account of its user to be disabled.

Ironically, the popular Emerald Viewer is not anymore listed in the directory currently, because of the recent internal conflicts and misbehavior of the development team. Still let's hope and trust, that things get back to normal again, because it's estimated, that one third of SL users use Emarald Viewer as their SL client...

FernLeissa
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by FernLeissa »

Like the idea in general but looks like the Meerkat link is "broken" and SL lists it as "discontinued." Any idea what going on here?

FernLeissa
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

I've used Meerkat before to backup my own builds and take them into other grids. It doesn't work perfectly (it messes up the textures a lot), and as Timo mentioned it is not sanctioned by Linden Labs anymore. Neither is Emerald. I'm currently experimenting with the Imprudence viewer that IS on the LL approved list, and reportedly allows backing up of objects in the same way. I haven't figured out how to use it that way yet though.

Rosie

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Re the Imprudence viewer to backup - I've just tried it and it will backup the prims of an object if you have full permissions on it, but it doesn't take the textures with it. I did a test on an object that I created fully, including the texture, but it gives this message:

[10:02 AM] Note: To comply with the Second Life Terms of Service, Imprudence did not download any texture files for the exported object(s).

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas

Return to “Questions & Answers about the CDS”