Reversing the Chancellor removal: Basta!

Proposals for legislation and discussions of these

Moderator: SC Moderators

Jamie Palisades
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Reversing the Chancellor removal: Basta!

Post by Jamie Palisades »

For the reasons noted here: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php? ... 970#p11645
I plan to move at our next RA meeting on 19 July to reinstate Alexicon Kurka as Chancellor.
As noted in that post, this is due to fairness, and some badly handled communications, and has nothing to do with legal rules, or views about Alexi's general performance.

1. We should NOT waste our time with a witch-hunt about who knew and didn't know what, when. I'm disappointed that we weren't informed. But we should concentrate on doing the right thing, not chasing blame. CDS as a community MUST reorient itself, to thrive. We eat our young, when we should be encouraging volunteers. Too many in our politics are in love with the game. (Good lord! Look at those forum entries!) There are *multiple* parties at fault here. Encouraging them to keep duelling over who's more to blame is immature and unnecessary. BASTA. Reject cannibalism, in any form. Refuse to support those who practice it. Let's just fix this and move on.

People who use CDS primarily as a forum for back-stabbing, bad-mouthing, or rule-twisting game-playing are hereby respectfully requested to get the hell out of my neighborhood. Go start a Supreme Court of Caledon or something :D

2. The SC appeal was an understandable attempt to respond quickly, but is not a reliable or complete solution.
-- For one thing, the standard of appeal is mushy and unclear. The SC is badly designed -- this is a fault of the rules, not the people serving. They don't even themselves know how much power they're supposed to exercise outside of the written rules ... because our founding documents are a MESS. Even when you can find them.
-- Frankly, I doubt this appeal would hold up, if the SC applies the written rules ... as opposed to being some kind of Philosophical Karma Samurai Cosmic-Justice-Divining thing that uses E.S.P. instead of laws.
-- Even if they act -- they'd just throw it back to the RA for a re-vote anyway.
-- Most importantly, through, we don't NEED any more pogroms. A "hearing" just leads to another cannibalistic festival of blame. Evidence, trials, star chambers. :P I could blame lots of people for us not being sufficiently informed last Saturday. But that will NOT advance our community interest in reconciliation and fairness!

3. The cleanest, fairest thing here is for the RA to accept Pip Torok's resignation as replacement, and then reinstate Alexi. Pip is entirely aware of what I'm suggesting here, is blameless in all this, and is being a perfect gentleman about a tough situation. It's up to him whether to offer that, and he can make his own statements, obviously. RA would need 5 votes to remove him, but if he resigned, only a simple majority to reinstate Alex.

4. In the future, we should have clearer, explicit standards for the Chancellor's approval and policy activities. Then we can enforce them strictly, in complete fairness.

I am going to make those motions at the next RA meeting on 19 July at 9 am SLT. Might or might not pass. We'll see. If it does, it probably moots the SC appeal. Alexi, whatever his successes and failures, did not deserve removal, knowing what we know now. Comments welcome -- this thread is open for replies.

Regards Jamie P

== My Second Life home is CDS. Retired after three terms
== as chancellor of the oldest self-governing sims in SL.
cleopatraxigalia
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Reversing the Chancellor removal: Basta!

Post by cleopatraxigalia »

That is not fair to Pip.. who has done nothing wrong. And Jamie, you know .. you dont want me to say more about a motive here on your part.. you need to Leave This all be hon....................

Cleo
symokurka
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by symokurka »

Jamie - 1. We should NOT waste our time with a witch-hunt about who knew and didn't know what, when. I'm disappointed that we weren't informed. But we should concentrate on doing the right thing, not chasing blame. CDS as a community MUST reorient itself, to thrive. We eat our young, when we should be encouraging volunteers.

Yes I absolutely agree with Jamie.

We have 7 threads with 45 replies on this subject running from july 13th until today.
This makes to me clear that:
- we can spend our energies in a better way
- we can largely improve our communication skills about how tasks work in CDS
- we have to find a way to improve political debate on real CDS problems and to limit political carnival on personal struggles

Jamie Palisades
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

A detailed reply to ThePrincess's comment, here, would not be consistent with our community goals. Which are, I repeat, civility and positive reconciliation.

I will make the motion. RA members are welcome to vote as they see fit. I suggest that faction members can TELL their RA members what they want, if they wish. In fact they even can REMOVE their RA members if they wish, apparently. So I assume each RA member will act in accordance with their faction's wishes. :) Let's hold each faction reponsible for the acts of its members. We can handle all this just fine, without rancor or immaturity, if we choose.

Of course, I talked with Pip about these issues FIRST. He's being gracious, and is blameless in all this, and can handle it however he likes. (If I'm right that the removal was unjust -- because the facts of payment were obscured -- then Pip becoming chancellor is like a guy who unknowingly buys a stolen watch. He's not at fault. The right thing to do may be to give the watch back voluntarily anyway. But that's his choice.)

Regards Jamie P

Jamie Palisades
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Chancellor removal rescinded (crosspost)

Matter appears to have been resolved. See:
http://forums.slcds.info//viewtopic.php ... 959#p11676
Up to the SC what to do with its appeal, though.
Regards Jamie P

Desmond Shang
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Desmond Shang »

No supreme court please! Ooooh that would be scary...

laughs

Cindy Ecksol
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Cindy Ecksol »

Desmond Shang wrote:

No supreme court please! Ooooh that would be scary...

laughs

That's "Scientific Council", Des, and you should show us proper respect or we might order an invasion of Caledon someday.

And as it happens, we DID take up this matter briefly in the last 10 minutes of our meeting on July 22, ruling to release the "flagged" legislation since the RA action on the 19th had made the Chancellor's dismissal moot. You can see for yourself how decisions are made in a democracy that doesn't stand on ceremony at http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1994

Cindy
<wondering whether the rumors about Desmond are true http://www.news3online.com/index.php?co ... 9QSD028W37 and when he might be planning to reveal his TRUE intentions...>

Desmond Shang
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Desmond Shang »

Hah! Funny video ^^

Proper Respect for the CDS? Oh that would be fun! We'll send over an Honour Guard, replete with bagpipes (please don't mistake it for our surprise attack - we use two bagpipes if it's aggression with intent!).

I am impressed (and I DO hope MT does not take it as a slight, it is not - ) ...there is always someone quite wound up about something in the CDS! Such passion!

To Alexicon: yes, shame about the whole embassy thing. No matter though, I suppose, if the CDS might be invading. We should mark the date on the calendar, pack lunches, properly fit the troops! Victor throws the party afterward!

Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Aliasi Stonebender »

Desmond Shang wrote:

Hah! Funny video ^^

Proper Respect for the CDS? Oh that would be fun! We'll send over an Honour Guard, replete with bagpipes (please don't mistake it for our surprise attack - we use two bagpipes if it's aggression with intent!).

I invaded Caledon. I invaded it ALL NIGHT LONG!

Hm. That didn't sound right...

Member of the Scientific Council and board moderator.
Cindy Ecksol
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Cindy Ecksol »

Aliasi Stonebender wrote:
Desmond Shang wrote:

Hah! Funny video ^^

I invaded Caledon. I invaded it ALL NIGHT LONG!

Hm. That didn't sound right...

Well....next time you decide to do that, let us know and maybe we'll do it as a crowd....:-)

Cindy

Return to “Legislative Discussion”