Commission proposal

Proposals for legislation and discussions of these

Moderator: SC Moderators

Arria Perreault
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: Commission proposal

Post by Arria Perreault »

One of my fear is that decisions taken in VDI can override the CDS processes of decision. Let's imagine this scenario. A rich man gives VDI a amount of money to add 3 greeks sims to CDS (as CDS+AA), because it is the place where democracy was invented. This man can give some details about the project: he wants to see an agora and a temple of Athena on one of the sims. VDI will also makes some decisions about this project like the localisation of these sims. Then it will launch a program with CDS to buy, built and operate the sims. VDI comes to the CDS and propose this project to the Chancellor. What's happens then ? Can the Chancellor accept the program or does she/he bring this to the RA ? We know that the Chancellor has full power for the finance and the land management. I am not even sure she/he has to ask the RA. Even the RA has to be involved, can this assembly change some aspects that are already decided by other stakeholders ? The RA could prefer to have a temple of Apollo and no agora, but an odeon.
Now you can consider I am stupid to refuse the possibility to see these three greek sims added to the CDS, despite what the rich man and VDI have added to the project. We expand: that's cool! I have an other opinion. If this scenario is possible, it would simply mean that many things can be done without asking the RA, so without a purely democratic process. I prefer fight for years with the RA and the Chancellor and the citizen to build three greeks sims instead to get them without the processes we currently have.

Rose Springvale
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rose Springvale »

in short, no.

No one can bargain with VDI for something outside of the CDS process, because VDI will be controlled by CDS. The problems you describe have nothing to do with VDI, but with the balance of power between the CDS chancellor and the CDS RA.

Rose Springvale
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rose Springvale »

One thing you need to keep in mind. VDI was created as a holding company. The merger agreement specifies that CDS will appoint the directors. The operating agreement should specify what responsibilities each side had to the other... and really does relate to operations only. VDI CAN be used to raise funds, but there is no requirement that it do so.

On the other hand, when a "rich man" comes into the CDS and buys up all the land for sale, putting some in his name, some in the name of his friends, to 'comply' with the land owning limitations, who controls that? I'm not suggesting there is a problem, just pointing out the flaw in this argument. Buying sims takes the act of the CDS government.

Can VDI operate outside the CDS government? yes, i believe it can at present. If you want to limit its ability to say, agree with Better Worlds to work on a joint project, or with Islam Online, or any of a number of other related projects, that would have nothing to do with CDS, then you need to specify that in your operating agreement. Though i'm not sure why you would care.

solomon mosely
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Post by solomon mosely »

Thanks to delia for meeting with me today. we had a great skype discussion, finally meeting voice to voice. it's like we just met for the first time! :)

we covered several topics. had some trouble staying on point while discussing all the great opportunities the 501c3 affords us. but, we were able to narrow down a couple reasonable goals for two people to achieve.
1) compiling a list of applicable funding sources with description and contact info, by category, ie., culture-history, art, etc..., education, democracy, community development, media, and so on. this list will evolve as does our collective research and vision.
2) a FAQ or "cheat sheet" of vdi requirements for applying for and accepting grants and donations, how funds can and can't be used, and so on.

the initial goal of the FAQ is to create a resource, in plain english, that allows people who aren't lawyers or seasoned grant writers to get a basic understanding of what can't or needs to happen to accept funds, donate funds, and to fund a project within the 501c3.
items in the FAQ will of course cite the original text of the documents, and emphasize the necessity of reading and understanding the legal documentation thoroughly before actually following through on any relevant projects or financial transactions.

the list of funding resources will allow people to easily find some potential financial support for projects they might be interested in perusing. This will also help give some direction and structure to cds program development for not only education and entertainment, but increasing revenue.

as you can imagine, there is quite a bit to do and there are a number of concurrent projects this one relates to, so if you would like to lend some time, drop a line.

Return to “Legislative Discussion”