Proposals for legislation and discussions of these

Moderator: SC Moderators

solomon mosely
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Commission proposal

Post by solomon mosely »

here's a simple proposal for a simple commission with a simple agenda:

Commission to explore fund raising opportunities for AA.

PURPOSE:
1) identify available funding sources, requirements, and regulations.

2) identify possible directions for program development.

3) create recommendations for appropriate projects.

STRUCTURE:
1) a minimum of a 5 member commission to investigate potential grant and other fund raising opportunities now available to AA, given their 501c3 status.

2) commission members to be appointed by the executive of VDI.

3) organizes itself as it sees fit in regards to tasks and time and leadership.

4) coordinate with extra volunteers as needed.

TASKS:
1) investigate the fund raising and spending regulations associated with appropriate 501c3.

2) identify available income opportunities for CDS

3) create recommendations to exec and ra for proceeding on fund raising and related activities.

POSSIBLE USES OF MONEY:
1) program development

2) maintenance of land and structures

3) to be explored by the commission, given regulation findings, and recommendations created.

RESPONSIBILITIES:
1) Report to the forums as facts are discovered.

2) Report to RA at each meeting with recent findings and any recommendations.

3) Conduct at least 1 weekly public meeting to discuss findings and ideas. meeting not required to have all commission members present.

##

should there be a deadline for preliminary results of any or all of the tasks?

i am assuming that such a commission would take the initiative to learn about existing AA programs and talk with appropriate people/organizations when developing recommendations.

i would recommend announcement of the commission for solicitation of volunteers for the executive to consider.

there is no official decision making power here. this is intended to be a r&d group for new funding opportunities for cds.

perhaps this would be better handed directly to VDI (the 501c3) to handle entirely?

solomon mosely
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Re: Commission proposal

Post by solomon mosely »

Re: Citizen definition proposal

Postby Delia Lake » Sun May 09, 2010 3:50 pm
Just so everyone is on the same page regarding Comissions:

"NL 5-21 Citizen Involvement Act

Preamble
A bill to enhance citizen involvement in the government of the CDS; also to promote the deeper analysis of proposals in discussion and as means to aid the RA in their legislative work.

1. For any proposal in discussion, the RA can decide that a commission be formed to analyse the proposal.
2. The RA will decide the remit, responsibilities, lifespan and which powers, if any, it wants to delegate to the commission, with the exception of legislative powers.
3. The commission must be chaired by a member of the RA.
4. The commission shall have at least three members.
5. Any citizen of the CDS may join a commission, and must indicate their availability to the chair.
6. The commission must report on progress to the RA at each subsequent RA meeting.
7. In the event where the commission makes a formal recommendation to the RA it must include information about the extent to which it is supported by the full commission along with information about dissenting minorities and their alternative preference.
8. This act shall not preclude the assignment of bills to committee by the RA or LRA without legislative act.

passed as amended 13 January 2007"

http://portal.slcds.info/index.php?id=197

i quoted this from the post delia made at the citizen definition. i wonder how this applies to my proposed commission.

i guess my proposal strays from the commission described above, in the sense that i'm not suggesting its formation to research anything for a specific bill since there hasn't been one thus far. so, i don't know if the rules above would apply to it.
my draft already includes much of it already, i think the only part left would be the required RA member. oh, and the bit about how recommendations are made, i like that part. happy to add it in.

solomon mosely
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Post by solomon mosely »

here's this again. are we ready for this yet? at least to start working with it as a base for something that has to happen anyway?

Cindy Ecksol
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Cindy Ecksol »

solomon mosely wrote:

here's this again. are we ready for this yet? at least to start working with it as a base for something that has to happen anyway?

Sol, this sounds like an interesting idea. I encourage you to recruit a group of like-minded citizens and take the lead on doing some research. Whether it's an official "commission" or not, you can always put together a report and bring it to the RA for consideration. Call it an interest group, call it whatever you like -- you don't need to wait for someone official to bless the idea before sitting down to brainstorm. And once you've got something interesting put together, all you'll need to do is ask any RA member to put your request to present to RA onto the agenda. It may not get there the week you request, but hopefully the LRA will find room for it within a reasonable timeframe. If the ideas have merit, the RA can take it from there.

All you need to do is actually TAKE the initiative rather than floating the idea and expecting Somebody Else to run with it :-) The RA can't think up EVERY good idea nor run every brainstorming session. We need good ideas (and thought-provoking presentations) from citizens who care.

Cindy

solomon mosely
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Post by solomon mosely »

excellent thoughts. i totally agree cindy. i'll start with this:

the formation of a democracy was not needed to manage the affairs of a sim cluster. a bunch of people got together, thought it would be cool, for whatever reasons were important to them, and decided that it was important enough to organize stuff. so they did.

the ra, as any government body, has been chosen to be the body in cds, to organize and manage the stuff that cds finds important enough to ensure they get done.

like land management, it's not left to the whims and good will of some good samaritans. or, were the founding fathers of cds just lazy and wanted to pass the buck of management to someone else? possibly. i doubt it.

cds just expanded with the merger with AA. it involves legal and financial non-profit issues that very few are very familiar with.
many people, especially in the last ra, talked a lot about what insurmountable legal issues these were to be able to work with cds.
many people, especially in the last ra, spoke of what an unbearable financial burden AA would be on cds.
many people, especially in the last ra, spoke of how happily they would support efforts made to overcome these obstacles and create a stronger, happier, democratic union, were it only possible.
many people, especially in the last ra, love extolling the unending font of creativity and skills with which the cds is blessed, in their platforms, manifestos, speeches, and forum posts, especially around election time.

as a citizen, in the last term of ra, i proposed with the creation of this commission, that the ra take the issue of discovering the legal realities, the revenue potential, and the development of creative, culturally relevant programming seriously, and thus make serious efforts to over come perceived barriers and get to the real work of being what cds is. which i believe is a being a place for the creation of interesting projects and sharing them with the greater community, the cds itself being one of them.

sure, i can take the suggested strategy, go play researcher and see if anyone else wants to play too. and then, maybe in a few months, when people have decided to give it enough spare minutes here and there, we might bother to come to ra and see if they think we found anything kinda cool, and they can see if they have time to recognize it and find something to vote on with it, and then we can all wait and see if anyone else wants to play project developer, and hope a cast of, at least slightly less than apathetic, volunteers want to play too.

what i was hoping for, when i first presented this idea, was that cds ra make the statement "yes, understanding our legal position, accounting requirements, and fund raising eligibility, in an effort to find advantage from and for our new union, is important to us." and then delegate and oversee the process of making it happen as soon as possible.

as fate would have it, and thanks to the miracle of modern democracy, i am ra.

now, does my proposal as stated need work to be more effective? yes. little things like that don't seem to stop others from making official proposals for far less relevant matters. does no one even want to take it, tell me it's a good idea, but i'm the wrong guy for the job, and do something with it?

i'm disappointed in myself for not creating an engaging enough proposal.
i am slightly more disappointed with the lack of initiative the ra has taken on this issue so far over the last 12 months.
i am extremely disappointed with apparent apathy and avoidance it is being treated with now.
cds just had a huge gift dropped in it's lap, on several levels, and it's been treated, to a great extent, like a flaming bag of dog crap.

i will continue taking some initiative. i will, with others, be crafting this proposal to work in conjunction with other important efforts to be proposed, to take the merger, our evolution as a community model, and long-term creative and cultural relevance, seriously. I will then follow up with the related as necessary.

i understand full well, from personal experience and observation, that the ra isn't responsible or expected to get things done. but it should at least be where things get started.

if anyone would like to participate in this effort, the door is always open, coffee's always hot, and there's plenty of room in the thread.

solomon mosely
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Post by solomon mosely »

cindy, i apologize for the aggressive tone of that post. i felt a bit patronized and responded with anger.
i know ra is a volunteer effort and cds needs more volunteers to operate. i was just hoping for a little more support for a project that i feel holds a substantial benefit for cds. none of that research benefits any individual, it's all info that the ra and exec and citizenry, now and in the future, should know. especially if any financial and cultural advantage is to be made from it.

i appreciate the people that have approached me about this effort and call on more to come forward to help. there is a good amount of info to research and report on for educating the government and public on these issues.
we will begin the effort, but i still intend to bring this to ra as part of a broader plan for this term.

Rose Springvale
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rose Springvale »

Thanks for continuing to chase this Solomon. I think there are three considerations that need to be addressed first.

Many of the people in CDS have assumed that the merger wasn't a merger until the first year was over. All that clause was ever supposed to do was give the citizens of each community a chance to say no, this doesn't work, let's undo it. It was never supposed to be an excuse to delay the actual integration of the two sim projects, and it is my hope that this RA does the work necessary to show that it can handle the work. If one side or the other then chooses to undo the merger, we wont' ever have to wonder if it would have stuck had we just done what we said we'd do.

First though, since CDS has NOT formed a non profit organization,and since it takes several months to qualify one for purposes of LL, it is necessary to have an operating agreement formed between Virtual Democracy Inc and CDS. That agreement has to have real effect on the people of CDS, not be treated as an option, as the merger agreement has, because VDI is a rl organization with responsibility to account. I'm happy to work with whomever is chosen to represent CDS in the matter, to create a workable document. I've posted the organizational documents of VDI online, here,articles of incorporation.https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AQER ... RkMg&hl=en bylaws, https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AQER ... hmNg&hl=en conflicts policy, https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AQER ... hobg&hl=en and activity statement https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0Bw ... NTQx&hl=enso anyone who feels like wading through them is able to. The only really relevant things are these: VDI has the corporate power to enter into contracts and any disposition of assets by VDI must be to another non profit organization.

What CAN be done with VDI is pretty broad.

VDI can accept private donations from individuals, and US citizens can deduct the value of the donations from their Federal income tax. It is the same organizational structure as the Red Cross, or the YMCA, or similar organizations. That's one source of funding we can employ, if we need funding.

VDI can also apply for grants, and there are several people involved in AA and CDS with expertise in this area. I did a quick google search on "grants for democracy" and came up with several sources of grant money for such an elementary search.

Other options for fundraising include the things we do in world. There are restrictions on raising money, especially if the fundraising is outside the scope of our purpose. (I think we'd have some issues if we suddenly went into the Sex Bed business, for example)

So your idea of a commission is not bad at all. What I foresee for the next RA is a very careful plan of the issues we want to cover. I spent time yesterday outlining what those things might include, and when the most appropriate time to consider them on our CDS calendar would be. With 13 representatives, and 26 potential meetings, it will be important that we "plan the work and work the plan." My hope is that each representative will champion one area, and conduct the necessary research and citizen meetings so that when a proposal comes to the RA, it is in a form that we can debate briefly, outlining the opposing viewpoints, and then vote on. I'll be posting more on that in the coming week.

solomon mosely
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Post by solomon mosely »

ding. ding. ding. thank you rose. those docs posted are a perfect start. your brief summary of 'can/can't do' is just the kind of report i want to expand on and have in an archive for reference.

this was an area i was concerned about:

Rose Springvale wrote:

The only really relevant things are these: VDI has the corporate power to enter into contracts and any disposition of assets by VDI must be to another non profit organization.

what does this mean to the cds accounting system? two separate sets of books? vdi makes it's own tier payments, not coming from cds? does any of that matter?
vdi can not share funds with 'mainland cds', even from projects created by/with cds people and/or held/operated from 'mainland cds' land or in addition to vdi?

these dont have to be addressed here, of course. those just came to mind when reading your summary.

delia and i are having a skype call on friday at 1 pm slt (if that time works for her, but sometime friday afternoon) to start to prioritize and assign research. i would love it if you could make it rose.
everyone is welcome to join the call, or participate in chat, if you prefer.

Arria Perreault
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Arria Perreault »

Rose Springvale wrote:

it is necessary to have an operating agreement formed between Virtual Democracy Inc and CDS. That agreement has to have real effect on the people of CDS, not be treated as an option, as the merger agreement has, because VDI is a rl organization with responsibility to account.

This is totally scarying.

I cannot open the first document.

I guess I am not welcome in the discussion mentionned by Solomon.

solomon mosely
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Post by solomon mosely »

i couldnt open it either. it may just need a setting adjustment. if not, i'll make sure to pass the memo on the secret handshake. well, it's more a complex series of pounds, airplane noises, and guttural sounds with humming a few bars of that Queen tune from the Highlander series. :D

solomon mosely
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Post by solomon mosely »

correction. only the first doc didnt open. the other 3 did.

Rose Springvale
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

sorry guys, i'm not a computer programmer. Sol, i got a request on one of the documents to allow you.. i added you, tell me what i need to do to make them public, the directions said they were fine.

Arria, you are more than welcome. If i can't figure out how to make them public, i can try copying them in the forums, but formatting will be a mess.

And i'm really not sure what is so scary. This is a good thing.

Rose Springvale
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Sol, on your other post: VDI has to be able to report its income and expenses, so that needs to be part of the operating agreement. As it is a separate sim owning entity, the invoices for tier payment come directly to VDI. CDS sims are billed through the LL regular system, which deducts us dollars from the avatar account for rudeen edo on a monthly basis.

This has been handled for the past year by me forwarding the invoices to rudeen, her sending me, as rep for VDI, lindens, me converting the lindens and paying LL. Then the receipt is sent to rudeen.

There's no reason VDI can't work on joint projects with CDS, or vice versa.

Remember when you create a corporation what you are really doing is creating a new legal entity. It's like having a baby. Unless specifically restricted, the corporation can do anything an individual can do.

Arria Perreault
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Arria Perreault »

I see many potential issues. I really would like to know what kind of clause will be in the agreement. Does it concern finance?
I would like to know also how is our responsibility engaged. I am also curious to know if CDS is an entity this rl org can have a contract or an agreement with. What is the validity of such an agreement for a texan court?
I will read all this. To be frank, this is not worth to the little money we spare with the non-profit fees of LL or for any grant we could get. This brings an other question. If VDI get a grant, how will this money manage? Will this money be only for AA ?

Rose Springvale
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

1. the agreement would simply be giving CDS the rights and obligations of the merger agreement. Those rights and obligations include the right to govern the AA assets. They will include the right to collect tier, and will include the responsibility to pay the LL invoices when presented.

2. To the extent that CDS is an unincorporated entity, as I've posted before, we are at best a joint venture, which is treated as a partnership in the United States. I'm not particularly concerned with enforceability issues because frankly, if either party doesn't meet it's responsibility, the recourse is to terminate the contract. The biggest risk is that CDS would collect the fees and not pay the tier, and frankly, we have that risk with the old CDS sims as much as with AA.

3. Let's talk about what can be done with grant money etc, after youv'e had a chance to review the purpose clauses and other documents. Since both the reason for being for AA and CDS is the democratic project, I'm hard pressed to find a reason that use of funds would be limited ... especially as VDI would be engaging CDS for operations.

4. The option is not open to "not" be a non profit. That is what AA is, and always has been. It has very little to do with how much money it saves and much more to do with what it is about. I really do not understand the fear you are expressing. Why would we be afraid of an organization whose responsibility is to be transparent and dedicated to "creating democratic communities in virtual worlds, exploring historical democratic societies and teaching democratic structures through information and educational presentations and discussions, and applying democratic principles to governance of virtual communities?"

If that is a problem, then maybe we need to discuss in more detail what CDS's mission is. Because that is certainly what i understood we were doing in CDS, and i think most of the other participants do too.

Return to “Legislative Discussion”