Proposals for legislation and discussions of these

Moderator: SC Moderators

Arria Perreault
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Citizenship Bill

Post by Arria Perreault »

Citizenship Bill

Preamble: The CDS Constitution makes a clear link between citizenship and land. In respect of this principle, this bill describes the possible methods of attaining citizenship in CDS and their implementation. 

a. The following methods to attain citizenship in CDS are possible: 

- Land ownership (landowner citizen) 
- Sponsorship of landmarks, parks or common lands will, designated as 'sponsored locations' (sponsor citizen)  
- Group (group-owned parcel citizen)

b. All rules regarding tier payment and the right to vote or te be candidate for an official position apply on landowner citizen as well as on  sponsor citizen and on group-owned parcel citizen.  

2. The smallest size for a parcel, a sponsored location or a part of a group-owned parcel is 256 mq.

3. The smallest tier for sponsorship and group citizenship is 250 L$. 

4. The landowner citizen has the right to build in the parcel.  The sponsor citizen has no right on the parcel. The rights of a group-owned parcel citizen on the parcel is defined in the group charter. 

5. Each citizen has a tier box and appears in the list of citizen. 

6. The sponsored locations are defined by the executive and accepted by the RA. They are listed in the masterplan of each sim. The names of the sponsors are listed on the location.   

a. The owner of the group and the avatar requesting citizenship notify the CDS Treasurer of the desire for a group citizenship, and request a tier box be assigned on one of the parcels of the group. The owner of the group pays the difference between the fees paid by the group-owned parcelcitizen from his /her group and the official tier. 
b. The owner of the group cannot put a member who is getting citizenship only from this group out of the member list. The group which gives citizenship can decide the way it is organized. The organization and the possibility to get citizenship must be mentionned in the charter of the group. The charter and the member list of the group are public.   

8.  A policy is made by the Executive to fix every detail of citizenship management. The Executive is responsible to inform all poeple who are concerned by the adoption of this bill.  

9. The various possibilities to attain citizenship are described in the different information and communication channels and especially in the portal and in the in-world kiosks. 

10. The act  NL 5-9 Group Land Ownership Act  is abrogated. 

a. The avatars who are citizen only by owning a parcel of 128 mq before the adoption of the current law stay CDS citizen. This citizenship is not transferable to the next owner of these parcels. The Executive has the right to buy the parcel for its official price.   
b. The avatars who are citizen by payjng a fee of 100 L$ stay citizen for 2 entire terms after the adoption of the current law. After this period, the Treasurer will offer them a sponsored location.    

Arria Perreault
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: Citizenship Bill

I have posted above a proposal for a bill about citizenship. I will give few remarks about it:

- the Citizen Commission has hold three meetings. All discussions were constructive. I have tried to translate the wishes of this Commission in a law.
- this bill avoids any constitutionnal change. It can be adopted with an absolute majority.
- the link between land and citizen is conformed, but on a flexible wax
- this law would allowed potentially to have 1280 citizen in CDS, if every private or public parcel is divided in 256 mq subdivision. I don't think it will happen. The number just show how flexible we can be by adopting this law.
- there is no competition between normal parcels and sponsor location which could endanger our finances, as the list of sponsored locations has to be designed by the Executive and approuved by the RA.
- partnership citizenship has to be solved with group

Callipygian
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Callipygian »

Hi Arria - responding here so that discussion can happen before this goes before RA.

As written here, the bill would make a number of the original fachwerks, which are less than 256 sq m, ineligible as land parcels giving citizenship. I missed the last meeting so may have missed the conversation related to this point. I may have misunderstood that the fachwerk were the original 'small parcels allowing citizenship' - but if that is the case, this change in the law regarding citizenship may make ownership of a fachwerk less appealing and result in more vacant spaces, as well as changing a long standing tradition. While grandfathering those who currently have the smaller parcels addresses current owners, the lack of citizenship for future owners and the point about the Executive buying the land suggests a future need for reparcelling land into suitable sizes, recategorizing multiple parcels etc. This may not be a desirable result of addressing citizenship.

My sense of the meetings was that *purchase* of a parcel of any size would create citizenship as it always has, and that minimum tier donations and sq footage was to apply to sponsored and group citizenship only.

Calli

Arria Perreault
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Callipygian wrote:

Hi Arria - responding here so that discussion can happen before this goes before RA.

As written here, the bill would make a number of the original fachwerks, which are less than 256 sq m, ineligible as land parcels giving citizenship. I missed the last meeting so may have missed the conversation related to this point. I may have misunderstood that the fachwerk were the original 'small parcels allowing citizenship' - but if that is the case, this change in the law regarding citizenship may make ownership of a fachwerk less appealing and result in more vacant spaces, as well as changing a long standing tradition. While grandfathering those who currently have the smaller parcels addresses current owners, the lack of citizenship for future owners and the point about the Executive buying the land suggests a future need for reparcelling land into suitable sizes, recategorizing multiple parcels etc. This may not be a desirable result of addressing citizenship.

My sense of the meetings was that *purchase* of a parcel of any size would create citizenship as it always has, and that minimum tier donations and sq footage was to apply to sponsored and group citizenship only.

Calli

Calli,

I have tried to make symetric rules. I agree with the exception of the Fachwerks of NFS.

Return to “Legislative Discussion”