CDSL 13-10 Citizenship Law RE: Sponsorship

Proposals for legislation and discussions of these

Moderator: SC Moderators

Tor Karlsvalt
Chancellor
Chancellor

CDSL 13-10 Citizenship Law RE: Sponsorship

Post by Tor Karlsvalt »

As you may already know, CDSL 13-10, provides sponsorship as a means of gaining full citizenship. The law is posted at: http://portal.slcds.info/index.php?id=425

The executive must present a list of sponsor locations for the RA to accept. The attached spreadsheet lists the several locations that I have selected. I feel that this list will serve our needs for the foreseeable future. Naturally, more locations may be desired. However, I think that this list will be a good start and require a minimum of oversight.

A few points that are included with the list.

The executive can allow more than one person to sponsor any of these locations.

The executive may request that additional locations are added to this list.

A small monument or plaque will be erected at each location. This monument will name each sponsor of that location.

The treasurer will establish payment boxes for the collection of the monthly contribution.

The list can be found at: https://spreadsheets2.google.com/ccc?ke ... 2YgO#gid=0

Citizen
Pip Torok
Sadly departed
Sadly departed

Re: CDSL 13-10 Citizenship Law RE: Sponsorship

Post by Pip Torok »

Thank you, Tor ...

Two things I need to bring up:

... the version that I see of 13-10 contains a number of grammatical errors, and this suggests that someone go through the text and confirm whether or not the display agrees in all particulars with the text that the RA approved. If in fact that displayed text inadvertently includes errors that compromise our intent, we'd need to re-examine, then re-draft a text that we feel represents that original intent.

... I've looked at the spreadsheet, and see no locations in either row nor column. Are we looking at the right one?

Pip Torok

Callipygian
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Callipygian »

Pip Torok wrote:

... the version that I see of 13-10 contains a number of grammatical errors, and this suggests that someone go through the text and confirm whether or not the display agrees in all particulars with the text that the RA approved.

While someone should confirm this as you suggest, my recollection is that this does match the text that RA approved. The grammatical errors reflect that English is the second language of the creator of the text.

Calli

People often say that, in a democracy, decisions are made by a majority of the people. Of course, that is not true. Decisions are made by a majority of those who make themselves heard and who vote -- a very different thing.

Walter H. Judd
Arria Perreault
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Arria Perreault »

Tor Karlsvalt wrote:

As you may already know, CDSL 13-10, provides sponsorship as a means of gaining full citizenship. The law is posted at: http://portal.slcds.info/index.php?id=425

The executive must present a list of sponsor locations for the RA to accept. The attached spreadsheet lists the several locations that I have selected. I feel that this list will serve our needs for the foreseeable future. Naturally, more locations may be desired. However, I think that this list will be a good start and require a minimum of oversight.

A few points that are included with the list.

The executive can allow more than one person to sponsor any of these locations.

The executive may request that additional locations are added to this list.

A small monument or plaque will be erected at each location. This monument will name each sponsor of that location.

The treasurer will establish payment boxes for the collection of the monthly contribution.

The list can be found at: https://spreadsheets2.google.com/ccc?ke ... 2YgO#gid=0

Tor,

first I'd like to thank you to work on the implementation of this law, as chair of the Commission which has prepared it. The Bill expect that the Chancellor prepare a policy. It would be good to have a draft of such a policy.
There are some points that I would like to clarify.

Art. 3 sais clearly that there is a maximum number of citizen for a sponsored location. You can get this number easely by dividing the size of the parcel the sponsored location by 256. It would be good to report this number in your spreadsheet. The RA will see how many new citizen this sponsored location could bring. You have to be aware that "Public Land" in the Monastery could bring a huge number of citizen. I suggest that the RA take "Monastery Public Land" out of the list, if you are not able to give the exact surface corresponding to the roads. The reason why we have decided that the RA should vote on the list is to control that the possibility of sponsorship will not damage the finances of the CDS. If there is too many sponsored locations, many people can be temptated to leave their parcels for such location, especially if they don't use their space.

The smallest size a sponsored location or a part of a group-owned parcel is 256 mq. There is no minimum for parcels owned by a single owner.

The law sais also that the information about the different ways to become citizen must be disseminated in the different communication channels. That means that everyone can get such a citizenship. It has to be very transparent. These new citizen must be added to the citizen list. I see now that the current list is from 19th October. It is probably out of date. I hope that the Executive will organize a process in order to have a citizen list up to date. As citizen, I don't want to wait the month before election to realize that there are many new citizen who I have never heard about ...

Guillaume Mistwalker
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Guillaume Mistwalker »

Arria Perreault wrote:

Art. 3 sais clearly that there is a maximum number of citizen for a sponsored location. You can get this number easely by dividing the size of the parcel the sponsored location by 256.

I'm afraid that, according to my interpretation of the Law, that there is no such formula for the regulations on the number of citizens per sponsored location in Article 3, Arria; are you citing another law? If so, where is it?, I'd like to see it to draw conclusions on this list. And despite this, Arria makes a good point -- one that you made too, Tor -- that the number of parcels on the list should restrict the number of sponsors.
I wonder what "A policy is made by the Executive to fix every detail of citizenship management" (Art. 9) implies, does it relate to the census list of citizens or to the management of the sponsorship program? I believe that the latter would be supported by Art. 7, "The sponsored locations are defined by the executive"; why would the law apply to the sponsor-locations and not the sponsors themselves?
If my interpretation of that provision of Art. 9 is correct, then I think that you should restrict the number of the sponsors per location and resubmit the list to the RA, Tor. I'd like to see what number of people you're restricting the locations to. The choice of number or formula is yours, if I am correct about my interpretation.

Gaius Nebuliens Curio (Guillaume Mistwalker)
si enim pecunias aequari non placet, si ingenia omnium paria esse non possunt, iura certe paria debent esse eorum inter se, qui sunt cives in eadem re publica. (Cic. De Rep. 1.32.49)
Arria Perreault
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Guillaume,

I can give more details. The committee I have chaired agreed since the beginning about one thing: we will not make a change of the CDS Constitution. That means that we have worked with the definition of citizen given in the Constitution.

Article VI - Citizenship

1. A citizen of the Confederation of Democratic Simulators is a resident of SecondLife who has been granted title to any land by the Confederation of Democratic Simulators, and who holds title under the Confederation of Democratic Simulators, for as long as he or she holds such title.

That means that the link between citizenship and land is not broken. Until recently, the only ways to be citizen was to be owner of a parcel or member of a group which owned a parcel. The new law has confirmed the the way to be citizen and has clarified the second way (group). The new law has also defined a new way to be citizen: by sponsoring a location. For both group and location citizenship, we have defined the minimal amount of land each citizen has to correspond: 256 msq. If I will introduce group citizen in the Monastery group, I can divide the size of the Monastery parcel in 256 msq parts and I will know how many group citizen the Monastery can have. It works the same way with sponsor location: the Amphitheater is a parcel too. It has to be divided in parts of 256 msq. These informations are still missing in the document of Tor. As I have already said, it can be complicated to know surface of roads in the Monastery sim. Maybe we have to define on this sim a parcel for public information. This parcel can be divided for sponsor location.

With this law, CDS cannot have an infinite amount of citizen, but around 1890. This number is subject to change with every new sim. I sincerely hope that we can get more citizen. We have also to provide some activities for them (and not only politics).

Guillaume Mistwalker
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Guillaume Mistwalker »

Arria Perreault wrote:

For both group and location citizenship, we have defined the minimal amount of land each citizen has to correspond: 256 msq.

Indeed, and I congratulate the committee for finding a very creative solution to this article of the Constitution. However, I still do not recognise such a formula for 1 person per 256 meters squared, as Article 3 of this law dictates:

CDSL 13-10: Citizenship Bill wrote:

3. The smallest size a sponsored location or a part of a group-owned parcel is 256 mq. There is no minimum for parcels owned by a single owner.

And, I've read and re-read the Law a few times, and I still do not see such a formula. The article only stipulates that groups and sponsor-locations need a minimum of 256 meters squared of land in order to be valid for citizenship to the sponsor/members of the group and I have not seen the definition that you've described above, that states such a formula. Is it on another Law or have I over-looked it on this Law?

Edit: Would it be safe to say that such a formula, Arria, would be C=p/256? Where p is the area of the parcel and C is the number of allowed citizens per parcel, if such is divided by 256?

Gaius Nebuliens Curio (Guillaume Mistwalker)
si enim pecunias aequari non placet, si ingenia omnium paria esse non possunt, iura certe paria debent esse eorum inter se, qui sunt cives in eadem re publica. (Cic. De Rep. 1.32.49)
Arria Perreault
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Guillaume Mistwalker wrote:

Would it be safe to say that such a formula, Arria, would be C=p/256? Where p is the area of the parcel and C is the number of allowed citizens per parcel, if such is divided by 256?

Guillaume, the transcripts of the meetings of the Commission and also the transcript of the RA show that we had exactly this formula in head for both group and location citizenship.

I would be happy if the RA votes an amendment of the bill to clarify this point.

Return to “Legislative Discussion”