Bells Semyorka announces her candidacy for Chancellor

Proposals for legislation and discussions of these

Moderator: SC Moderators

Bells Semyorka
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Bells Semyorka announces her candidacy for Chancellor

Post by Bells Semyorka »

I Bells Semyorka would like to announce my candidacy for CDS Chancellor. I will be running without the affiliation of a political faction as an individual.

I am patiently awaiting until the candidacy deadline before I post my platform and introduction.

Thank you and have a wonderful day.
Bells Semyorka

“To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest”
Bells Semyorka
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Re: Bells Semyorka announces her candidacy for Chancellor

Post by Bells Semyorka »

Hello Everyone.
I have completed my blog http://bellsforchancellor.blogspot.com/
On this site you will find:
-An introduction to Bells Semyorka and Video
-My Campaign Platform
-A Chancellor and Team
-Campaign Song

Please take the time to look over the site, I am open to questions and comments. I will be updating more in the next couple of days.
Thank you
Bells Semyorka

“To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest”
Bells Semyorka
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Post by Bells Semyorka »

In order to provide you with the most up to date information.....I'll keep providing links to the blog as new items are introduced to Bells For Chancellor.

http://bellsforchancellor.blogspot.com/ ... r-you.html

I created a new gift for citizens of CDS, A campaign basket. This basket is available on the SL marketplace for purchase as well as around the LA and CN sims. If you would like a basket and cannot use the methods above to get one please send me an IM and I'll deliver one to you asap.

This is the type of marketplace activity I would love to see introduced within our community. If elected as chancellor, I would create a marketplace listing for CDS that both the Chancellor and Vice Chancellor would have access to. We could use it to promote CDS on a larger scale and any item created by our community members (provided they wanted to participate) could be added to the box and listed on the market place.

Thank you Bells Semyorka

Bells Semyorka
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Post by Bells Semyorka »

http://bellsforchancellor.blogspot.com/ ... pmslt.html

Just providing another update.

Were having a meet the candidates even on 11-11-11 @1pmslt

Take the SLURL Taxihttp://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/L ... /55/219/24

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Hi Bells. Are you talking about "Meet the candidates for Chancellor"? I am not sure who "we" are, otherwise.

Regards,
Rosie

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

Rosie Gray wrote:

Hi Bells. Are you talking about "Meet the candidates for Chancellor"? I am not sure who "we" are, otherwise.

Regards,
Rosie

I think she means her and Arria -- who is running for the (I guess) informal position of "Vice-Chancellor." I am curious how the idea of a Vice-Chancellorship will work out. There is no Constitutional definition of the position, although the Constitution does empower the Chancellor to appoint deputies or other staff under the auspices of the "Office of the Chancellor."

Such an appointment is fine. However, I do worry about making it an election point. Deputies or other staff should serve "at the pleasure of the Chancellor." However, if a deputy is elected on a "ticket" that presented itself to the voters as such, then that issue could be clouded. I see the possibility that a deputy so elected could claim that the Chancellor could not simply remove them from office.

Beathan

Let's keep things simple enough to be fair, substantive enough to be effective, and insightful enough to be good.
Bells Semyorka
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Post by Bells Semyorka »

Thank you Rosie for the opportunity to clarify more on this event sponsored and hosted by, Bells for Chancellor. Arria and I are hosting this event as Vice Chancellor and Chancellor running mates and candidates.

For those that are able to and wish to find out more information please click the url that follows http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blog ... 5594120265

for those that cannot here are the details.
Come talk with your Chancellor and Vice Chancellor candidates Bells Semyorka and Arria Perreault.
Friday November 11, 2011 from 1-3pm slt
1:00-2:00 answering questions and greeting
2:00-3:00 Music by DJ by Prowler (CDS citizen)
Come join us for a talk, ask your questions, meet your candidates
After, we turn up the music and dance to the DJ sensations of DJ Prowler (CDS citizen).
Come, mingle and Have Fun.
We can't wait to see you there.

Thank you again Rosie,
Bells Semyorka

cleopatraxigalia
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by cleopatraxigalia »

Beathan wrote:
Rosie Gray wrote:

Regards,
Rosie

I think she means her and Arria -- who is running for the (I guess) informal position of "Vice-Chancellor." I am curious how the idea of a Vice-Chancellorship will work out. There is no Constitutional definition of the position, although the Constitution does empower the Chancellor to appoint deputies or other staff under the auspices of the "Office of the Chancellor."

Such an appointment is fine. However, I do worry about making it an election point. Deputies or other staff should serve "at the pleasure of the Chancellor." However, if a deputy is elected on a "ticket" that presented itself to the voters as such, then that issue could be clouded. I see the possibility that a deputy so elected could claim that the Chancellor could not simply remove them from office.

Beathan

This following is an agenda item from October 7, 2009 (jamie palisades was chancellor):
" 7. The Chancellor announced the appointment of Rose Springvale as Vice Chancellor for the duration of this term. He noted that this is an appointed position not subject to RA approval and that it may or may not be continued under future Chancellors.
" end of quote.

As a voter, I wonder why I would be better off not knowing who a candidate might work with and choose to appoint after they are elected.

Transparency in this matter seems better to me.

Personally, I like the idea that I know Bells will be appointing Arria Vice Chancellor when elected.

cleo
:wink:

Cleo
Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

cleopatraxigalia wrote:

This following is an agenda item from October 7, 2009 (jamie palisades was chancellor):
" 7. The Chancellor announced the appointment of Rose Springvale as Vice Chancellor for the duration of this term. He noted that this is an appointed position not subject to RA approval and that it may or may not be continued under future Chancellors.
" end of quote.

As a voter, I wonder why I would be better off not knowing who a candidate might work with and choose to appoint after they are elected.

Transparency in this matter seems better to me.

Personally, I like the idea that I know Bells will be appointing Arria Vice Chancellor when elected.

cleo
:wink:

I have no problem with transparency -- indeed, I support it over the alternatives (surprise and secrecy). However, I think that there is a dangerous precedent in running as a "ticket." That would give the Vice-Chancellor leverage not provided by the Constitution in case of an in-term falling out with the Chancellor. The Chancellor has, and should have, the power to remove any appointed deputy or officer from office. However, if the Vice-Chancellor was part of a "ticket" which voters selected, that person could have an argument that they were as elected as the Chancellor and therefore could not be removed at the will and pleasure of the Chancellor.

Let's keep things simple enough to be fair, substantive enough to be effective, and insightful enough to be good.
Arria Perreault
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Arria Perreault »

Beathan, the Vice-Chancellor is neither an official position in CDS nor an elected position. The Chancellor Jamie Palisades has appointed a Vice-Chancellor. In my understanding:

- the Chancellor is the only elected person. He/she can remove a member of the Executive at any time
- if the Chancellor is not able to hold his/her position until the end of the term, there is a by-election.

CDSL 13-05 Chancellor Election Act
4. In case the Chancellor leaves office or is removed from it mid-term, a special Chancellor by-election will be called for by the Scientific Council which will open new applications on the day notice was given and close applications after a week.

The new thing that did Bells is to tell people during the campaign who she intend to work with. Besides the campaigning, a candidate has to look for a team, to work on a budget and to have some ideas about the actions needed in the first weeks. .

I did not want to run this term. I have accepted the proposal of Bells because I want to help and to transfer what I know about CDS. I will help to do things that have to be done: freeze the river, update the portal with the financial reports, ... Bells could have said that she intends to appoint me as PIO. She want to share the tasks a bit differently. Besides communication activities, I will have to support her in solving issues with convenants.

Bells has new ideas about managing our community. Think about the Teatimes she will have with citizen, where they can say their concerns. Until now they could only go to the RA meetings to tell their concerns and the RA had to tell the Chancellor to act.

Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

Arria --

All that makes sense, and I support that kind of openness. I just have a highly speculative concern about running as a "ticket."

Beathan

Return to “Legislative Discussion”