Beathan Vale Candidacy for RA

Proposals for legislation and discussions of these

Moderator: SC Moderators

Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Beathan Vale Candidacy for RA

Post by Beathan »

I am announcing my candidacy for the RA.

Many of you know me as a previous member of the RA and as one of the founders of the Simplicity Party. My governing principles can be found throughout these forums.

My current platform is BIG -- a three-part plan to address current CDS needs.

BUILD -- It is time to build the CDS community through events, activities, and construction. The CDS is people -- the citizens of the CDS -- first and foremost. As people we can either live separate and isolated virtual lives on our personal properties in the CDS sims -- or we can build relationships and community through CDS events and activities. We should continue to plan, implement and improve community-building activities and events to create a vibrant community of active and inter-connected citizens. The RA should also focus its attention on Building our sims themselves through construction improvements to existing sims (based on the will of our community as expressed after consultation) and of new sims to receive new population. (I understand that we are full -- which is a wonderful result of the efforts of our current Chancellor and several other citizens who act as informal envoys and CDS cheerleaders.)

INVEST -- Building, both physical construction and community building, must be not be done through unguided or frantic action, but should be done with clear goals and plans, keeping our eye on the goal of making things better through our effort while preserving the financial health and reserves of our organization. We should spend money on things that produce a return -- either in beauty, or immigration, or community spirit -- and should budget for these activities in a financially responsible way.

GROW -- Our sims are full. It is time to grow again and to plan for that growth so that it enhances, rather than dilutes, our community and the aesthetics of our sims. We need both deliberate planning and speed -- and the trick is to make sure these divergent needs don't pull themselves, or ourselves, apart.

Beathan

Let's keep things simple enough to be fair, substantive enough to be effective, and insightful enough to be good.
Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Beathan Vale Candidacy for RA

Post by Beathan »

I see that one Chancellor candidate has an election anthem.

I might as well dust off my old anthem in this election as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_g4rEPXkyI

Beathan

Let's keep things simple enough to be fair, substantive enough to be effective, and insightful enough to be good.
Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

Even though she called what is now my primary position nonesense (that I will resign after setting up a by-election that includes new citizens and offers real competition, unless I can get the RA to pass legislation providing that all members of the 16th RA stand for re-election or un-election in the by-election, which I would prefer), Rose's request that I provide specific policy statements on several issue makes sense. I invite any and all other citizens to post similar questions here.

Do I support events? Yes, with limits. I have set forth my position in response to Pat's proposal to abolish the event budget (a position I think he is alone, among the RA candidates, in advocating). http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php? ... 188#p18188

I don't support tearing down and rebuilding the sims as we know them, but I do support modernizing them through reconstruction after citizen consultation and participation (even though that is a slow and tedious process). In the event of any such reconstruction, I would prefer a system of multiple proposals -- rather than having a situation in which a new build is presented as a pre-built, only-alternative to the current build. I also think that a "Disney theme" might be kind of cool -- but I would prefer a Grimm theme both because it is less likely to involve rl copyright issues and because I am dark like that.

I do support expanding the CDS, either through association with existing communities in SL (my proposal on that is here http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php? ... 865#p16865 or through our traditional process of purchasing and building a new sim. We have (or, to give credit where credit is due, Cleo has) been very successful this last term in revitalizing our project by bringing in new citizens. I want this to continue and we need to grow in space to accommodate such a growth in population.

Other highlights of my position -- I would legislate clear policies on open government, setting ruler for and restrictions of out-of-view policymaking or communications among CDS officer. I outlined a possible mechanism for that at the last RA meeting. http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3580.

I have also proposed three amendments to the Constitution (although I am still on the fence about whether the last two have to be amendments, rather than straight legislation):

1. A formalization and restriction of future Constitutional Amendments to prevent the Constitution from being changed willy-nilly (especially being changed to incorporate one-time events). http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php? ... 3&start=30 2. To formalize the RA approval process for SC selection -- to prevent the SC from being a purely self-selected aristocracy that runs completely counter to our democratic project by having no democratic check; and 3. To implement a process for RA fact-finding hearings to add RA legislation and policy-making (modeled on the American Congressional hearing process). http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3584

Beathan

Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

Cleo asked, "I would like to know what the SC / RA apparently soon to be elected candidates think about AA's situation and its relationship to CDS, their current affiliations with AA. Also the new SC candidates please answer."

Rose responded, "Dear Princess/Cleo,

AA's seven sims have no need nor interest in anything from CDS. AA is simply not an appropriate topic of conversation for CDS officials or otherwise. There are no affiliations between the two estates, other than a few duplicate citizens. That can be said of a hundred other estates as well.

Rose."

I think both have valid points. AA matters because we have dual citizens with AA, we have a long and bumpy history from AA (from its very beginning) and we share a substantial border with AA so that visitors not familiar with our divergent projects experience us as a unified place/build. However, AA is a distinct region not under CDS jurisdiction and attempts to bring us into closer cooperation have failed.

I don't have, and I think it is inappropriate to have, any opinion on the internal running of the AA, including any tier issues there. However, people are attracted to AA for reasons similar to what attract people to the CDS. If AA is planning to double the amount it charges for residency, then there will likely be some AA citizens who decide to leave -- and that is an opportunity for the CDS to bring in new citizens who are familiar with our area -- and our culture. I think that the RA should work to prepare to receive any such refugees -- and that means having land available on which they can take up residence.

Beathan

Rose Springvale
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rose Springvale »

To the extent that it is any business of anyone in CDS (though it is nice to see CDS has no problem attempting to poach our citizenry...good luck with that. They voted to dissolve the merger, remember?) there is no plan to double tier in Al Andalus. Anyone wishing to participate in our meetings is welcome to come and ask your questions in an open and democratic forum. If you'd like to purchase land in AA, you need to talk to me :)

Furthermore, Al Andalus had no desire to share borders with CDS. The move to adjoining borders was made to facilitate a merger that was dissolved. Al Andalus has asked CDS to move its five sims officially at least three times, but none of the officials charged with bringing that request to vote ever bothered. I made the request, both on behalf of AA and as an ongoing and continuous citizen of CDS, but the RA members and Chancellor chose to ignore it. Whatever. As far as i know, there have been no attempts to collaborate with AA by CDS since the end of the merger.

For this and all future elections, Al Andalus is simply another estate as far as CDS is concerned, no more or less interersting to you than SLNE, Caledon, New Toulouse or many others with which you also have "dual citizens." Our histories may have had some intersections in the past, but they are all severed now.

Last edited by Rose Springvale on Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

Rose,

I don't think that free citizens can be "poached." They are free to leave or stay as they will. If no AA citizen wants to emigrate, then that's fine with me; if any do, then I think the CDS should welcome them as I think we should welcome any and all new citizens. If AA does not raise tier or otherwise give its citizens a reason to emigrate, then they probably won't, and that's just fine. If AA does give its citizens some reason to leave, then the CDS should make clear that, despite the bumpy history between our regions, they will be welcomed here. Because of that bumpy history, I think some specific outreach is probably in order -- and I don't think that there is anything wrong with that.

As for our shared border, if AA doesn't like it, AA can pay to move its sims away. That is not an expense I would support the CDS incurring (even though my personal house is right on the border).

Beathan

Last edited by Beathan on Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

From now through my term of service on the 16th RA (which might be a short one), I promise to be available to citizens at announced "in-hours" in my residence, at which any citizen can raise any concern to me in an informal manner, rather than having to wait for and participate in the sometimes cumbersome RA citizen participation process. If appropriate, I will help any such citizen draft legislation for presentation to the RA, and I will present it to the RA (although not necessarily as a sponsor and supporter). Further, although I happen to live in SLT, I will endeavor to stagger my in-hours to allow CDS citizens who have first-life, corporal existences in other time zones an opportunity to participate, even at possible loss of sleep, to the extent my real life permits.

Beathan

Rose Springvale
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rose Springvale »

Did you ever even read the merger documents, where CDS agreed to bear the expense of the move? Probably not.. you were ... unavailable... then.

I will advise the citizens of Al Andalus that CDS will likely have land available soon for you! I'm sure they will rush to your doors!

Best of luck in the election.

Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

Rose, I did read the documents. I consider them to be provisional, based on a deal that didn't happen, and therefore not binding in current circumstances. Again, I would not support bearing the expense of moving just because AA wants us to, but if AA wants to move itself, that's its own issue.

I was inactive at the time of the merger talks. I read over everything soon after it fell apart, when I became active again. It's a shame that things worked out as they did, mostly (it seems) through miscues and misplaced mistrust. It seems that unhealthy suspicion and hard feelings are lingering long after the collapse of merger discussions, which is very sad.

Beathan

Return to “Legislative Discussion”