Proposals for legislation and discussions of these

Moderator: SC Moderators

Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Al-Andalus Refugee Association

Post by Beathan »

Whereas, the CDS has limited space available for new citizens; and

Whereas our neighbor, Al-Andalus has announced a tier increase that may cause some of its citizens to seek residence elsewhere; and

Whereas the shared, if not always amicably shared, history and culture of the CDS and Al-Andalus may make the CDS an attractive new home for some of these people, but for the lack of space;

The CDS shall create a government sponsored group called the “Al-Andalus Refugee Association”. Current citizens of Al-Andalus who wish to emigrate (in whole or in part) to the CDS may join this group for a fee to be set by the Chancellor. Membership in this group shall confer the rights of a citizen on its members. The fee charged for membership of this group shall be credited against the purchase of any land offered for sale by the CDS. This group shall exist and shall allow members to be citizens by virtue of membership until such time as the vacancy rate in the CDS increases to 15% of its existing residences or such time as a new region is added to the CDS, provided that the number of marketable residences exceeds the number of members of the group.

Let's keep things simple enough to be fair, substantive enough to be effective, and insightful enough to be good.
Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Al-Andalus Refugee Association

Post by Patroklus Murakami »

I'm no great fan of the Al Andalus project but even I find this offensive.

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

Just spitballing here. I've never been one to, how did you put it, "calm it down a notch." That's why I think you, rather than me (and rather than anybody else) should be LRA next term.

Let's keep things simple enough to be fair, substantive enough to be effective, and insightful enough to be good.
Callipygian
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Callipygian »

Considering the history, 'laughable' might be a better choice of word Pat, but neither here nor there. Beathan, there is already a way for those who cannot find, or do not wish to commit to land purchase, to become citizens of CDS. They can sponsor a location ( a list of such locations is held by the Chancellor) and, as long as they stay current in their tier donation to sponsor, achieve and maintain citizenship. The number of locations is limited, but sponsorship is open to anyone wishing to come and 'try out' the CDS, so I don't see the need to create some special category in addition to this.

People often say that, in a democracy, decisions are made by a majority of the people. Of course, that is not true. Decisions are made by a majority of those who make themselves heard and who vote -- a very different thing.

Walter H. Judd
Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

I will admit, this proposal was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, although my twisted sense of sardonic humor often misfires.

That said, in all seriousness, I do think that there is a need and a reason for a special category here, as explained here:

http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3569

Beathan

cleopatraxigalia
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by cleopatraxigalia »

Beathan,
I know you were taking the Mickey .. we have to laugh at something now ! But is the tier going up for the AA citizens? Or is the tier for the sims going up because they lose their EDU tier rate from LL of 50% that they have prepaid for a year..

I went to look last night to see who might come join us from AA.. but most of the parcels in al andalus seemed to be still owned for Rose and not set for sale. So probably not to many refugees.. Maybe I should offer my real estate services. Since we are poking fun :)

seriously though..
And since you brought up LRA, I only have one concern with Pat being LRA and that is his past record of not allowing for much input off the agenda . Will he make a vow to still allow citizen time and let RA members be in clear access to adding agenda items and having a time for open discussoin in every meeting. This was a concern of mine in the past with him.

I also appeal for people to make an effort to not look at proposals based on who wrote them and look at what they contain and how it will benefit the CDS as a whole.

CLEO

Cleo
Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

Cleo --

That was a bone of contention between Pat and me when we served on the RA together oh so many moons ago. However, that was before the formalized procedure for citizen participation, which I think went into place the following term.

Also, if elected to the RA, my in-hours should provide an outlet for far more citizen participation than even a liberal interpretation of the current rules would allow. I hope that other RA members (and even the Chancellor) follow my example and make an effort to make themselves available regularly and at announced times to allow citizens to have input into the government in a way that enables more real citizen participation that the current rules.

Beathan

Return to “Legislative Discussion”