Reinforcing the Balance of Power Act

Proposals for legislation and discussions of these

Moderator: SC Moderators

Delia Lake
Dean of the SC
Dean of the SC

Reinforcing the Balance of Power Act

Post by Delia Lake »

With Gwyn's permission I am copying her post from the Reforming the Scientific Council thread to here where it can have a thorough discussion on its own, one I believe it deserves.

~Delia

=============================================================================================================================================
from Gwyn
In exercising my right as a citizen to submit proposals for legislation to be discussed and eventually approved at the RA, I'm submitting a notecard to the LRA for a bill to be included on the next agenda:

CDSL #### - "Reinforcing the Balance of Power Act"

Preamble

Since very early in the history of the Confederation of Democratic Simulators, the three branches have tried by every legal means to change the balance of power between themselves by either reinterpreting the extent of the powers granted by them constitutionally, or, in the case of the Representative Assembly, by either passing laws or constitutional amendments changing these same powers. Specially in the case of constitutional changes, and since the Scientific Council has no power to veto constitutional amendments (all constitutional amendments have to be approved, because, by definition, they change the applicability of the Constitution; and the Scientific Council's power to interpret the laws based on the founding documents, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and Linden Lab's Code of Conduct and Terms of Service was abolished long ago), this means that effectively is able to curb the power — and the checks of balances — of the other two branches regarding itself.

While this is often desirable in a community subject to many changes over the years, and the freedom to be able to adapt the Constitution as the Confederation of Democratic Simulators changes is highly necessary, this can also effectively conduct to abuses of power, specially in the cases where discussion has not been exhaustive and/or clearly misrepresents the will of the citizens as expressed publicly. Even though legislation is often reverted and abolished on subsequent terms, using the principle of democratic rotativity to elect new representatives on a term to revert specific laws, Constitutional changes tend to be harder to revert and have potentially more damaging effects. Also due to the small size of the Representative Assembly, a 2/3 majority vote of all members is usually not hard to get, specially on items that reinforce the Representative Assembly's power regarding other branches.

To avoid abuses, thus, this bill introduces the notion that any changes proposed by the Representative Assembly to change the constitutionally granted powers, checks, and balances of the other branches has first to meet approval by a Joint Committee between members of the Representative Assembly and members of the branch which is being changed, after sufficient public discussion has been completed.

=====

Constitutional Amendment

Add a new paragraph to Article I, Section 8 at the end:

Article I — The Representative Branch
Section 8 – Limits on the RA

[...]
Any proposal by the Representative Assembly to change, delete, limit, or add further powers to the other branches, as well as change, delete, limit, or add checks and balances between the other branches and itself, require a previous approval by a Joint Committee between members of the Representative Assembly and members of the branch which is being changed, after sufficient public discussion has been completed.

=====

New bill

Joint Committee Act

In order to comply with the limitations of the Representative Assembly regarding proposed changes, deletions, limitations, or additions to powers, checks, and balances between the Representative Assembly and the Executive Branch and/or the Philosophy Branch (Scientific Council), this bill mandates the following:

1. A motion to begin discussion of a proposed change, deletion, limitation, or addition to powers, checks, and balances to the specified branch is to be approved by the RA by a simple majority vote. If the motion carries, a Joint Committee is appointed using the RA procedures and the applicable laws for empowering a committee.
2. The total number of members of the RA participating on the Joint Committee cannot exceed half the number of the current members of the branch whose powers are being changed.
3. Immediately after the meeting where the motion was carried, the Leader of the RA notifies the leader of the branch whose powers are being changed under the motion to designate a number of its own members for the Joint Committee, and proposes a date for its first meeting, within a limit of 15 days.
4. Failure of either branch to provide members to the Joint Committee and/or boycotting/stalling the meetings are considered serious offenses and may be basis for impeachment.
5. If the total number of members in the Joint Committee is even, a citizen (not holding office on any branch of Government) is asked to join.
6. At the same time that the date for the first meeting is set, the meeting and its agenda (which will include the original motion for discussion) is to be published on the official forums of the Confederation of Democratic Simulators, and citizen participation is encouraged.
7. Procedure and deliberation of the Joint Committee shall be followed as per the meeting procedures of the Representative Assembly regarding committees, to the exclusion of any others.
8. Citizens are welcome to attend and participate in the open and public meetings of the Joint Committee.
9. The Joint Committee will attempt to reach a consensus on the final wording of the proposed change within the time frame of the current term of the RA, or until the end of the subsequent term if the motion is proposed within three months of the end of the current RA term.
10. If no consensus is reached, the motion is declared null and void.
11. At the moment consensus is reached, and if sufficient input has also been gathered from the public — either via the official CDS forums or by direct participation in the Joint Committee meetings — the final wording of the proposed changes are resubmitted to the Leader of the RA as a new motion to be approved.
12. Approval of the final wording at the subsequent RA meeting will follow any established procedures or laws for passing a Constitutional amendment.
13. Changes affecting simultaneously more than one branch (besides the RA) require separate motions, which are to be discussed by different Joint Committees, to be held simultaneously or subsequently at the RA's discretion.
Last edited by Gwyneth Llewelyn on Mon May 07, 2012 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Hrmpf. Bad formatting on the titles in bold.

Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Reinforcing the Balance of Power Act

Post by Patroklus Murakami »

This is up for discussion at today's RA meeting which I won't be able to attend now.

I am opposed to this constitutional amendment and associated bill. It fundamentally unbalances the powers of the branches of the arms of government by making reform of the *unelected, appointed-for-life* branch dependent on their supporting being reformed. This gives the SC a block on reform which the Constitution does not give them and should not give them. I hope we can form a consensus on SC reform over the coming months but the power to make changes has to rest with the RA. Otherwise a future SC would be able to resist reform even if this was the will of the citizens as expressed in a democratic ballot when returning *elected* representatives.

If we had had this law in place during the Judiciary Debate we would still have Ashcroft as 'Chief Judge for Life', sole appointer of future judges, with final arbitration of the forums and a role in 'vetting' legislative proposals. What's more, we would not have been able to get rid of him.

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Delia Lake
Dean of the SC
Dean of the SC

Post by Delia Lake »

Repost of what I said following comments on the transcript of the joint RA/SC meeting on reforming the SC.

Re: 20 May 12 Transcript of RA/SC Cttee on SC Reform

Postby Delia Lake » Sat May 26, 2012 3:09 am
I think the whole discussion of balance of power should be removed from the discussion about reforming the SC. I think this topic deserves its own thread and some serious discussion. This is because balance of power among government branches of government pro or con can fundamentally change the operation of that government and affects all the functions not just the SC. Since the original Constitution was drafted, all three branches have undergone significant changes. It is probably time that we took a good look at the relationships among these branches, solicit and put forth ideas from a wide spectrum of our citizenry, and hold public discussions inworld and in the Forum. We have seldom used referenda, but if after an inclusive discussion some changes in power relationships among the branches seem to be in order, a referendum might be an appropriate course of action.

I believe this is a very important issue. I also believe that we are not ready to take it to a vote, that there is much more conversation and decisions that need to occur on this subject, so I strongly encourage citizenry to read Gwyn's initiating post, read the Constitution as it currently stands, read archives of discussions by our CDS founders, and post thoughtful comments in this thread.

~Delia

Tanoujin Milestone
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Tanoujin Milestone »

Dear Gwyneth, at this point of the discussion I would not support that bill.

In my understanding the SC is entitled to veto constitutional amendments which violate the UDHR or the LL rules (ToS & CS). I think we all commit ourselves to the first and comply to the second on rational grounds. Hardly probable that the majority of any RA will intentionally exceed this limits and ignore constructive criticism. We would have to get rid of them otherwise bc they left the minimal consent of this community.

Another good reason to reject a constitutional amendment presented by the RA would be if the ratification of that amendment renders the constitution internally inconsistent and consequently inoperational. As a side effect the system of representative democracy with presidental elements including separation of powers is very hard to abolish without having a constitutional convention summoned, which is out of question atm.

The worst case I can see is an RA trying to marginalize the other branches, but to the contrary of what you claim I think this is not abusive as long as it reflects the general volition of the citizenry. And I do not see why it would be harder to readjust the balance another term if we go without the *approval* of jointed committees - I would prefer the well informed approval of the demos choosing from alternatives developed by those committees, be it via mandating its representatives or referendum.

I see that the debate regarding the reform of the SC followed your suggestion to some degree without reaching an agreement. I am quite conservative concerning constitutional questions, but I understand there is some change necessary, which needs broad consent. I am not confortable with my conservatism being realized by the failure of a jointed committee. Let us take up this debate again and try to get that consent together.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Ian Maclaren

Return to “Legislative Discussion”