Citizenship Notification Bill

Proposals for legislation and discussions of these

Moderator: SC Moderators

Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Citizenship Notification Bill

Post by Patroklus Murakami »

The last RA meeting on 16 June discussed the issue of sufficient notification for actions which affect citizens. I've put together the following 'straw man' proposal based on the discussion. I'm happy for RA members (and others) to take this and redraft it so the RA can consider a Bill at its next meeting on 30 June.

---------------------------------------
Citizen Notification Bill

Preamble
Citizens have a right to expect some notification of changes that will affect them. Similarly, citizens also have a responsibility to check official channels and raise concerns about changes which will affect them in a timely fashion. This Act sets out the expectations for both Government branches and citizens.

• 1. Posting information on the CDS forums and via in world notices will be considered to be sufficient notification to citizens of changes which affect them.
    2. Citizens will be given at least 14 days notice of such changes.

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Shep
Sadly departed
Sadly departed

Re: Citizenship Notification Bill

Post by Shep »

Thank you for that Pat .. I appreciate it :)

I am not a sheep ... I am the Shepherdess .. An it harm none .. so mote it be ..
Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Patroklus Murakami »

This was passed at the RA meeting on 30 June 2012 in the following form:

CDSL 17-01 Citizen Notification Act

1. Posting information on the CDS forums and via in world notices will be considered to be sufficient notification to citizens of changes which affect them.
2. Citizens will be given at least 30 days notice of such changes.

Ayes: Beathan, Moonrise, Pip, Shep.

Anna has a 7-day vote.

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Gwyneth Llewelyn »

One question, does this apply to individual notifications as well? A typical example is, for instance, reminding that one's tier fees are due. I'm assuming not — that individual notifications will use other methods as well, and not be restricted to, say, a forum post — and that this bill we applied to collective notifications.

This is just a clarification request, I'm actually glad that this bill was passed — it makes things simpler :)

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

PGP Fingerprint: CE8A 6006 B611 850F 1275 72BA D93E AA3D C4B3 E1CB

Shep
Sadly departed
Sadly departed

Post by Shep »

Gwyneth Llewelyn wrote:

One question, does this apply to individual notifications as well? A typical example is, for instance, reminding that one's tier fees are due. I'm assuming not — that individual notifications will use other methods as well, and not be restricted to, say, a forum post — and that this bill we applied to collective notifications.

This is just a clarification request, I'm actually glad that this bill was passed — it makes things simpler :)

Hello Gwyn ... no not for individual items such as tier .. but changes made by RA and any general announcemenmts by SC that the citizens are expected to comply with :)

I am not a sheep ... I am the Shepherdess .. An it harm none .. so mote it be ..
Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Shep wrote:
Gwyneth Llewelyn wrote:

Hello Gwyn ... no not for individual items such as tier .. but changes made by RA and any general announcemenmts by SC that the citizens are expected to comply with :)

Thanks, Shep :) It should be obvious... but it isn't ;) You see, an excellent preamble to this bill ought to have been: "Preamble: This bill applies to changes made by the RA and any general announcements by SC that the citizens are expected to comply with" :) Then it would not be ambiguous and vague, and I wouldn't have needed to make a fool of myself by asking obvious questions :-)

Tanoujin Milestone
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Tanoujin Milestone »

I wish i was a fool like you, Gwyn! Such a nice preamble - is there a way to squeeze it in after the fact?

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Ian Maclaren
Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

No, Tan, but I'm sure that the RA can pass an amendment to the bill :)

Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

Gwyn --

Very good point. I should have caught that. I think a clarifying amendment is in order.

Shep --

Can we consider the clarifying amendment (probably at the meeting after next -- as we don't have time to send out the notices for the 7/14 session)? Can you send out the notices that we will? I'm buried and haven't been able to get inworld.

Beathan

Let's keep things simple enough to be fair, substantive enough to be effective, and insightful enough to be good.

Return to “Legislative Discussion”