Proposals for legislation and discussions of these

Moderator: SC Moderators

Tanoujin Milestone
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Ownership, Tier payment, Voting rights

Post by Tanoujin Milestone »

A letter to Ria

During the last RA meeting I received a full permission notecard second hand asking the Assembly to reconsider CDSL 16-03 Citizenhip Establishment Act. It is requested to allow the account registered as the tier payor of the parcel on the payment box to vote even if this account is not the owner of the corresponding parcel.

I refused to discuss it during our meeting. And I do not regret it. Two points: First of all, if I start a discussion at the Assembly, it could (and should) quickly end up in a decision. And a decision should be based on complete knowledge of the facts, historical perspective, elaboration and judgement, not on brainstorming, speculation and vague feelings. This needs effort and time and I reserve the right to manage my effort and time as a representative autonomously. Second: I will not react to indirect communication during a meeting. If you are having a citizen concern, attend the RA meetings in person and let us know, there is an agenda standard point for this. Alternatively contact a representative *directly* and ask her to support you. You can also draft a proposal, pass it to the LRA along with a request to add it to the agenda or start a discussion on the forums.

Since this request is public knowledge, published and signed by the author as a texture on common land - which is absolutely legitimate in my opinion - , I do not hesitate to call the name of the petitioner: Ria Boucher.

Ria defends her own interests. She wants to vote. Cheers! She pays tier for AM BH3, Balma del Berge and is in good standing with a beautiful parcel owned by - AM United Artists. This is public knowledge as well, and now that I am standing on that parcel I take a look at the objects tab, as anyone so inclined can do. The parcel land capacity is 936, the impact 1101 - 165 prims above the local limit atm, which is possible because the parcel is sharing prims with other parcels owned by the mentioned group.

Since I am sure this is not a challenge to the current voter list, which would be the business of the Scientific Council to deal with, (you do not have to be a professor to predict the outcome btw) but a request to change the legislation to make sure Ria would qualify on the next census, I do not hesitate to put this to legislative discussion, the more because I had an exhaustive conversation with Ria on occasion being her dancing partner during the inauguration ball. Thanks for the evening, Ria!

And my answer is: I will not support your request. As explained in the text, CDSL 16-03 Citizenship Establishment Act is an attempt to simplify our code of law and fix a defect that prevented us from having an executable method to validate citizenship other than case-by-case review - which was a nightmare. As stated there, the link between citizenship and land is a fundamental principle of the CDS Constitution. This is why the "About Land" tool is the leading system to verify citizenship, and the tier payment box just a replaceable add-on. The first requirement to qualify for elections is you have to own a parcel in your own name. This is the most simple and straightforward implementation of the constitutional requirement to have a connection of citizenship and land. If you do not own a parcel in your own name, the question whether you are in good standing with any parcel is moot. Parcel ownership in your own name is the conditio sine qua non of citizenship per CDSL 16-03. Finally! We are through with every variation of citizenship you can think of in the framework of the constitution.

I participated in the discussion when this law was prepared and passed, and it was a painful process to sacrifice all the legislation tailor-made for the iridescent proponents of CDS bohemianism. But *this* jollification is somewhat over and in my opinion we need to establish proper administration and network management to have *another* festivity! We have to grow up. There is no way back. And I pledged my word. I can not support what you suggest, Ria.

But I still remember your interest. You are paying tier, and you want to cast your vote during the elections of the 19th RA. The term starts on 1st of June. There will be a census at the end of March 2013. You can have what you want, within the limitations of current law. You have to own a parcel in your own name on the day of the census. This is just a technical question. We are having a deal: you accept, I assist.

Your options:
1) Downprim the BH3 - you have to get rid of 165 prims - and set it for sale to yourself. You can do that, I see you are one of the owners of the group. Buy it and be owner of what you already pay tier for - as long as you wish. If you feel not sure how to do that, call me. I will transfer one of my parcels to you for training.
2) Buy another parcel in AM first and make sure it can carry additional 165 prims. Sell BH3 to yourself. If you are afraid this will blow up the Balma parcel again, call me. We can try this with two of my parcels.
3) Just buy a small parcel somewhere and own it in your name - as long as you wish. Sounds a bit boring, ha? I got one to offer to you - special price for a friend ;)

This was sent by notecard to Ria and published on the forums 2012-12-02. Tan

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Ian Maclaren

Return to “Legislative Discussion”