Proposals for legislation and discussions of these

Moderator: SC Moderators

Tor Karlsvalt
Chancellor
Chancellor

Tier Increase Proposal for the 19th Term

Post by Tor Karlsvalt »

Citizens of CDS,

I propose a small increase in the tier on four of our five sims. I feel it is my duty to recommend this as it is necessary to protect CDS and its reserve which continues to provide the estate a sense of security and hope for the future.

I comes as no surprise to many of you that our sims have been running a serious loss in the last three terms. CDS lost L$138,277 or approximately $553.00 during the most recent term. This loss occurred despite a very austere budget where we had few events and some were based on the charity of our citizens.

Without doubt, CDS is not in danger of folding. The reserve remains very strong. At the end of the last term, the treasury holds L$3,188,422, or approximately $12,753.00. I do not want to alarm anyone into thinking that CDS is in danger of not meeting its tier obligation to Linden Labs.

Although our reserve is strong, we cannot continue indefinitely with an operating loss of about $1100 per year. We are not in danger of folding, but as you can see from last term, we will be running a very lackluster sim if the government continues to run with an austere budget. Also, the reserve has long been intended for emergencies, for sim planning and improvement and hopefully future expansion. I should not be used toward continuous operating losses much less future entertainment.

I should point out, that deleting LA would reduce the deficit, but not remove it. At present, only one land owner in CDS would be totally displaced by deleting LA. As all the sims are losing money (except for NFS and until recently, AM) it is uncertain if more land would be acquired in the remaining sims by current citizens. Very likely, those residents would merely drop their LA land. Finally, remember that we consider our parcels owned by its citizens. There is a legal requirement in CDS that the government would have to claim eminent domain of all parcels owned in LA before the region could be deleted. This would amount to quite a cost for the government as well as another hit against the reserve.

Although I do believe the reserve is intended for use in tough times, I do not believe we can constantly use the reserve until it is exhausted or reaches the level where we would be required by law to raise tier in order to keep three months tier in reserve. Obviously a decline for a term or two is one thing that can be covered by the reserve. But after three terms of a significant loss, I see a trend that must be addressed.

Perhaps I am too interested in history but I appreciate the hard work and contribution of prior citizens toward creating the reserve. In that regard I consider myself a steward of a treasure.

Consequently, I am proposing a tier increase of 0.0325 per prim for all regions except Monastery. The Monastery tier is already higher than the rate for other regions.

The proposed tier can be found at

A more interactive spreadsheet is posted here.

Use it to play with numbers. However, only change the tier rate per prim on the Summary tab. The worksheet will recalculate if you change the rate and compare the effects of different tier rates.

I hope the RA can enact a tier increase at its next meeting on August 3d.

Please keep in mind that I have always tried to reduce costs in CDS. Some of you remember my fight to rationalize land purchase prices which in the past were very far from reality. Also, I supported the tier reduction as we were, in my opinion, out of sync with the rest of SL. In addition, I think I was the first Chancellor to propose not adding to the reserve and discontinued funding its expansion. My goal was always to keep CDS affordable. Doing so I think these policies have allowed a good cross section of people in a truly democratic community.

I have not forgotten the budget. I have been spending my CDS time on the tier spreadsheet. Tho I will be proposing a similar budget as last term. Our big expense will be Oktoberfest. That will be rather expensive but as in the past I can have a good fest without spending too much. Still it will cost at least $L75K.

This year I will be asking people to sponsor various aspects of Oktoberfest. Perhaps this will be in the form of money toward an event or purchase of decorations. Acknowledgment of a contribution might include a poster at the event, announcement by the entertainer or posting by myself on the forum, in an event schedule or on Facebook. In addition, contributions may remain anonymous.

I will be formulating an executive proposal with regard to LA. In the sort term however, I will keep parcels along the north coast of LA held in reserve for Cedar group members. I have been told that the Cedar group is planning another meeting for next week. So there appears to be interest among Cedar members in joining CDS. However, I do realize that we cannot hold thee parcels off the market much longer. Granted we have not had much luck in selling LA, but refraining too long in trying to sell parcels is bad business.

In the long term, my proposal will involve updating the covenant to allow for a late 19th century through mid-20th century Mediterranean Greek fishing village/Riviera.

I thank Nolligan for his thoughtful suggestions for LA during yesterdays meeting. I am sure we can begin to come up with a good basis for action in LA.

I apologize for not posting some of this to the forum earlier. But It is my hope we can resolve at least the tier increase this summer.

Thank you all for you attention.

Tor

Citizen
Nolligan
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Re: Tier Increase Proposal for the 19th Term

Post by Nolligan »

Thank you Tor for creating the budget spreadsheet.

I have a question, in your post you mention

a tier increase of 0.0325 per prim

Since I am too lazy to do the Math myself...
what does this equal in terms of a % increase?
Thanks

'So long and thanks for all the fish'
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

I support the tier increase. I think the basic issue is responsibility.

The tier was lowered some months back because many felt that our tier was higher than the average SL tier, and that by lowering it we would encourage more people to buy land in the CDS. That has not happened. My personal opinion is that our tier was not higher than comparable properties elsewhere in the CDS.

Some would say that the deficits are no problem, since we have a large reserve. We've argued about the healthy reserve for some years now. But even if lowering the reserve is a wise step for the community to make, lowering it simply by saving tier money for current residents is the height of irresponsibility. That's fine for a few years; we can live off the contributions of previous citizens and get no community benefit from that reserve except the savings in our own pocketbooks. That's simply wrong.

There is currently nothing to the budget other than the tier income and the tier expense (plus the tiny monthly cost of the website). We must bring tier income and tier expense back into balance, and we can do that only by lowering tier expense (dropping a sim) or raising tier income, as is proposed by Tor. Either of those courses of action is responsible. Personally, I feel that losing LA at this time seems misplaced, since we are not at all sure that such an action will balance the budget, and since there are so many possible investments (VALID uses for our reserves!) that could be made to make LA more attractive.

This is why I favor the tier increase. The process of increase is a tool that we can finely tune, because we have control over it. As noted, we are NOT an expensive estate, and our tier could very well be raised somewhat. Tweaking the tier, in combination with improvements in our sims to make them more appealing, could very well make the difference and cause the budget to get balanced.

Raising tier is a considered, adjustable intelligent way to handle our finances now. Doing nothing, or dropping sims, do not in my mind carefully correct our finances. I strongly suggest that we raise the tier as Tor has suggested.

Sudane..........................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Tanoujin Milestone
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Tanoujin Milestone »

Dear Nolligan, we calculate US$ 3.25 per 512 sqm single prim at the moment.
(Transaction fee L$ to US$ = 3 % is added in a second step, making the price at the tier box).

Current rate US$ per prim
512 sqm support 117 prims. 3.25/117 = 0.0278

Suggested rate = 0.0325

325/278 = 1.169

Recommended tier increase is 16.9%

-----

My motto at the moment:raise tier, keep LA. Do we discuss the rate?

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Ian Maclaren
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Hi Folks,

Sorry but I have to say that I don't at this time support a tier increase. It think that in this economy, a tier increase would have a negative affect on any potential new citizens joining us, and perhaps on some of the current citizens. I'd probably have to cut back on my own properties, sad to say. :(

I also don't think that it is the answer for our real issue which is to attract more citizens to the sims. What we need are full, or near full sims, and that will stop the drain on our finances.

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Callipygian
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Callipygian »

I do not support a tier increase at this time for a couple of reasons. I believe when I joined CDS a few years back the reserve was around 10k-11K; apparently it is now almost 13k even after operating in the red the last couple of terms - I am starting to envision CDS as a dragon sitting on its pile of jewels, adding to them as much as possible and never wanting to part with one shiny bauble :)

Instead of raising tier as an isolated bandaid on the problem of occupancy, I have put forward my suggestion of a plan that includes reference to tier, land and occupancy here: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php? ... 062#p20594

If this means a 600US$ loss for the next six months, so be it. Along with that expense let's invest some of the reserve in a strong effort to revitalize LA, as well as increase occupancy throughout CDS; spend another 400US$ on advertising that we have a beautiful estate, reasonably priced - not on music events that attract fans of the performer for exactly the 60 minutes they perform- but on targeted advertising, along with a drive to get some 'free' promotion - Destination Guide, New World Notes, one of the SL TV shows etc. Yes, we need music events, games events etc as part of the community that keeps people interested in staying, but I do not believe they are the best investment of dollars to attract people.

If at the end of six months this has not increased land occupancy by the measure we establish it should, then perhaps we do have to say farewell to a sim, but we will do so knowing we did the best we could to save and improve it. I think that is worth spending some reserve funds on.

Calli

People often say that, in a democracy, decisions are made by a majority of the people. Of course, that is not true. Decisions are made by a majority of those who make themselves heard and who vote -- a very different thing.

Walter H. Judd
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

Callipygian wrote:

I do not support a tier increase at this time for a couple of reasons. I believe when I joined CDS a few years back the reserve was around 10k-11K; apparently it is now almost 13k even after operating in the red the last couple of terms - I am starting to envision CDS as a dragon sitting on its pile of jewels, adding to them as much as possible and never wanting to part with one shiny bauble :)

You're being silly. But regardless, the reserve is still about $10,000, and it sits in a special reserve account so you can easily tell. It is not increasing. The additional money mandated by the RA to remain in our operating account... we are required by act of the RA to have an extra month's tier there, beyond what is needed for the current month's tier. Please have a look at the June Treasurers Report here: http://portal.slcds.info/index.php/cds-treasurer/ On the top of the page called Balance Sheet are the 4 "bank accounts" in the section Current Assets. The Reserves is the Reserves. The Treasurers accounts (one in L$s and one in US$s, like every avatar in SL) simply holds the money currently collected for tier, the money needed to pay this month's tier, plus the required reserve for next month's tier. Look back at previous reports. The total has gone down, as would be expected if we're losing money. Money does not magically appear in bank accounts unless we figure out how to manufacture it.

I do not support keeping the tier at money-losing values... so long as we are losing money! I STRONGLY support spending our reserve as Calli suggests, here and elsewhere:

... I have put forward my suggestion of a plan that includes reference to tier, land and occupancy here: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php? ... 062#p20594
... let's invest some of the reserve in a strong effort to revitalize LA, as well as increase occupancy throughout CDS; spend another 400US$ on advertising that we have a beautiful estate, reasonably priced - not on music events that attract fans of the performer for exactly the 60 minutes they perform- but on targeted advertising, along with a drive to get some 'free' promotion - Destination Guide, New World Notes, one of the SL TV shows etc. Yes, we need music events, games events etc as part of the community that keeps people interested in staying, but I do not believe they are the best investment of dollars to attract people....

We are obsessed with the idea that our "high tier" is driving people away. It is NOT high, and was NOT high before we lowered it some months ago. Raising the tier will bring our finances back to reasonableness. I strongly urge that we take Calli's suggestions of investing our reserves in our community (but not her suggestion of squandering the reserve on tier subsidies for ourselves). When, and if, we succeed in growing our community as a result of those intelligent investments... THEN we can adjust tier to bring the finances into closer balance.

Sudane................................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Tor Karlsvalt
Chancellor
Chancellor

Post by Tor Karlsvalt »

I updated the spreadsheets to include recent changes in occupancy.

Citizen
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Callipygian wrote:

Instead of raising tier as an isolated bandaid on the problem of occupancy, I have put forward my suggestion of a plan that includes reference to tier, land and occupancy here: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php? ... 062#p20594

If this means a 600US$ loss for the next six months, so be it. Along with that expense let's invest some of the reserve in a strong effort to revitalize LA, as well as increase occupancy throughout CDS; spend another 400US$ on advertising that we have a beautiful estate, reasonably priced - not on music events that attract fans of the performer for exactly the 60 minutes they perform- but on targeted advertising, along with a drive to get some 'free' promotion - Destination Guide, New World Notes, one of the SL TV shows etc. Yes, we need music events, games events etc as part of the community that keeps people interested in staying, but I do not believe they are the best investment of dollars to attract people.

Calli

I agree with this, and especially the assessment of music or other events. People are highly unlikely to join our community because they have followed an artist to the sims for a show, and especially if the show is 'out of character' for our sims. Not saying we shouldn't have them, but they should be for our community, just as Calli has said.

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas

Return to “Legislative Discussion”