Moderator: SC Moderators

Bromo Ivory
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Bill Proposal: The Civil Service Term Act

Post by Bromo Ivory »

Here is a bill I'd like to propose:

The Civil Service Term Act

The maximum term for service is 18 months for all positions in the administration of CDS. This applies to any and all appointments not subject to a CDS general election, in the virtual world, or outside of it. The RA may extend the term by up to 18 months with a simple majority vote once the previous term is within 2 months of ending. There is no limit to the number of affirmation extensions that can occur as extensions and terms expire. The RA may also extend by any amount of time up to 18 months, but cannot vote to extend until the term is within 2 months of ending. The extension vote cannot happen during an election. The maximum amount of time a term can be at any given time is 20 months (meaning a partial term left + extension cannot exceed 20 months). The exception to this is the Estate Owner position - there is no time limit to that term. Any function that serves at the pleasure of an elected official (such as but not exclusively Estate Managers) is not subject to this law. The members of the SC are not subject to this law.

I think this makes all officials subject to an affirmation every 18 months by the elected officials of CDS. A person who is good at their job, could serve even 100 years with periodic affirmation success. It eliminates "life appointments" and "de-facto life appointments" but addresses the concern that someone who has gotten good at something will be booted out due to the calendar. It is also longer than our election cycle to allow for the continuity of service and stability that it gives. It doesn't change any terms of employment (such as removal "for cause"), and does not change the method that an elected official selects and maintains his or her staff.

==
"Nenia peno nek provo donos lakton de bovo."

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Bill Proposal: The Civil Service Term Act

Post by Gwyneth Llewelyn »

I like that idea!

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

PGP Fingerprint: CE8A 6006 B611 850F 1275 72BA D93E AA3D C4B3 E1CB

Return to “Legislative Discussion”