Alignment the Terms of Office specified in Constitution

Proposals for legislation and discussions of these

Moderator: SC Moderators

Delia Lake
Dean of the SC
Dean of the SC

Alignment the Terms of Office specified in Constitution

Post by Delia Lake »

The Powers Commission recommends that we bring into alignment the Term of Office specified in the Constitution for the Chancellor with the Term of Office of the RA.

The Constitution, Article II Section 5.2 currently reads,

The Chancellor will serve a term ending with the election of the next Chancellor.

We recommend this section be amended to read “Chancellor terms begin on June 1 and December 1, concurrent with the term of the RA. In the event of a bi-election, the Chancellor takes office immediately upon election”

=============================================

Relevant discussion from the Transcript of the RA meeting of 6 October 2014 at 4:30 PM SL http://forums.slcds.info/search.php?key ... sf=msgonly
Article I Section 2 of the Constitution reads "The Representative Assembly shall serve for a term of six months. New RAs shall take office on 1 December* and 1 June."
Article II Section 5.2 reads The Chancellor will serve a term ending with the election of the next Chancellor."
[18:05:03] Cadence Theas: I would like to open the floor to discussion
[18:05:52] Vic Mornington (Victor1st Mornington) left chat range.
[18:05:58] Cadence Theas: Rosie
[18:06:04] Rosie Gray: thank you
[18:06:04] Cadence Theas: then Delia
[18:06:17] Rosie Gray: I think that this bill is quite straight forward
[18:06:33] Rosie Gray: it makes sense to clarify the dates, and to align them with the RA
[18:06:36] XD-Moderator Speaker List v2.36: Current Speaker is Now: Rosie Gray
[18:06:36] XD-Moderator Speaker List v2.36: Your Name has Been Removed From the List of Speakers
[18:06:42] CLEOPATRA Xigalia is offline.
[18:06:49] CLEOPATRA Xigalia left chat range.
[18:07:09] Cadence Theas: ty Rosie
[18:07:10] Rosie Gray: it's what the expectation would be when we hold the elections, and just seems to clear up any misconceptions
[18:07:13] Rosie Gray: done
[18:07:17] Cadence Theas: Delia then
[18:07:17] XD-Moderator Speaker List v2.36: Current Speaker is Now: Delia Lake
[18:07:23] Cadence Theas: Calli
[18:07:38] Delia Lake: the current wording in the constitution regarding when the chancellor takes office is left over from when the chancellor was elected by the RA
[18:07:51] Delia Lake: so the RA had to be seated to elect and the previous chancellor had to remain in office until the new chancellor was elected
[18:08:06] Delia Lake: at which time the new chancellor immediately replaced the old one
[18:08:54] Catz Jewell Lane (Catz Jewell) left chat range.
[18:09:27] Delia Lake: when the chancellor became elected directly by the voters this should have been changed but wasn't. This measure is to bring the term of chancellor in line with the current process of direct election of chancellor by the voters
[18:10:59] Callipygian Christensen: I agree with what Delia said, and also had this realization a few moments ago. I think you need to add " Whre a byelection for Chancellor occurs, the newly elected Chancellor takes up the position immediately' or some such.

Delia Lake
Dean of the SC
Dean of the SC

Re: Alignment the Terms of Office specified in Constitution

Post by Delia Lake »

Given the current state of affairs in the CDS, that the Chancellor has resigned before the end of the Term yet too late in the Term to hold a by-election, I recommend that this Amendment to the Constitution include the following addition. If the Chancellor resign later than the beginning of the Period of Declaration for Chancellor for the upcoming Term and there is no by-election, the next Chancellor shall take office immediately upon election."

The whole Constitutional Amendment would read:

Chancellor terms begin on June 1 and December 1, concurrent with the term of the RA. In the event of a bi-election, the Chancellor takes office immediately upon election. If the Chancellor resigns later than the beginning of the Period of Declaration for Chancellor for the upcoming Term and there is no by-election, the next Chancellor shall take office immediately upon election.

Return to “Legislative Discussion”