Reviewing where we are with the LA Redevelopment

Forum to discuss and coordinate the expansion of the CDS and the redevelopment of existing territories.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Reviewing where we are with the LA Redevelopment

Post by Rosie Gray »

(Cross posting to create a new thread).

It seems we need a reminder that the discussion regarding redevelopment of Locus Amoenus goes back a couple of years. For the newer members of our citizenry, going back to review these threads will answer many of your questions such as; why do we want to redo LA, what consultation with the citizenry has taken place; and where reference materials for review are:

1. Thread re Locus Amoenus by former Chancellor Trebor Warcliffe in 2011: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3517

2. Threads re meetings held by former Chancellor Tor Karlsvalt in 2013: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3982 and here: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3921

3. Thread by me where maps were provided for citizens to view, posted Nov 25, 2013: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php? ... ent#p21038

4. and the actual folder of maps here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

5. Reference images for the new Tuscany theme here:

There have been other postings by other people as well, so overall there has been a huge amount of discussion on this project.

Again, let me assure those concerned that from the Guild's point of view, and from the RA's point of view, that the aim of all of this is to improve the sim. This means that we want current residents of the sim to be happy! Guild members have been speaking individually with the current parcel owners of LA that would be affected by the guild design, explaining the concept in detail and options available to the individuals.

I encourage everyone with an interest to read all of the above threads, and please contact me directly with any concerns you may have.

Thank you for having the patience to read all of this information. :D

Kindly regards,
Rosie Gray,
Guildmeister

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Shep
Sadly departed
Sadly departed

Re: Reviewing where we are with the LA Redevelopment

Post by Shep »

Thanks for posting that info Rosie .... There were so many meetings about it I tend to forget not everyone was there ..lol ... it feels like they were hahahaha

I am not a sheep ... I am the Shepherdess .. An it harm none .. so mote it be ..
Cadence Theas
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Cadence Theas »

Thank you too, Rosie, to bring us up to date!!

I think the one lesson that can be learned is that sim planning and sim reform is not a quick process, especially if we want the sim to conform to the high standards that have been maintained in CDS so far. Rather than manifesting impatience for what appears to be a drawn-out process, we should appreciate the care that is being given in the planning of the reform, and the consideration to mitigate possible impacts on current residents. We should support, in a constructive manner, the guild and the different administrations implicated in this process. Your posting gives us the information and history to be able to appreciate just how much work has gone into the LA reform. Special thanks to the guild and the different RAs and Chancellors that have promoted this idea.

cleopatraxigalia
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by cleopatraxigalia »

Thank you Rosie.

I encourage "newer" and older citizens NOT to contact Rosie directly but to do two things

1. Ask your questions on the forums so there is a public record and so if anyone else has a similar question it will be posted so she doesn't have to answer things more than one time.

2. I also encourage everyone with any interest at all to join the Artisians' Guild and attend all meetings.

In the midst of this renovation I would think the guild would have been meeting frequently recently though I am not sure how to find the minutes of the meetings I have missed since I joined last term.

Rosie, can you make sure ALL the guild meeting minutes are posted publically, and the link put on this thread... ? Please.

Regards,
Cleo

"transparency breeds good government"

Cleo
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

cleopatraxigalia wrote:

Thank you Rosie.

Rosie, can you make sure ALL the guild meeting minutes are posted publically, and the link put on this thread... ? Please.

Regards,
Cleo

"transparency breeds good government"

Cleo, the guild is under no obligation to share minutes or chat logs with you or anyone. It is a non-governmental-organization. Please read the Charter for clarification: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Qkc ... sp=sharing

~ Tommy Douglas
Garnet Psaltery
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Garnet Psaltery »

Cleo, how dare you try to discourage people from contacting Rosie directly? I don't believe for one moment you are trying to save her work, but instead you are afraid she might tell them something you wouldn't want them to know. That call of yours for publication of minutes is, I believe, yet another attempt by you to create drama and suspicion where there is none.

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

After struggling with this project for over 2 years, trying to please everyone, while maintaining a vision for a truly interesting, creative and dynamic sim, I have withdrawn my offer to work on the LA Redevelopment project.

~ Tommy Douglas
Cadence Theas
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Cadence Theas »

I think that every one of us has to reflect on why something as creative and interesting as a sim reform, the only intent of which was to improve on CDS, got side-swiped by politics and politicos, personal interests and deliberate misrepresentations. Yes, this is democracy at work, but it is not a very good representation of how a democracy should work.

cleopatraxigalia
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

After struggling with this project for over 2 years, trying to please everyone, while maintaining a vision for a truly interesting, creative and dynamic sim, I have withdrawn my offer to work on the LA Redevelopment project.

rosie gray

Rosie,
I am sorry to hear this.

Please clarify to us if it is just you who has pulled out or the Guild? Where are the guild minutes from all the meetings of the 20th RA term?

Will a new Guild leader move forward with this redevelopment project?

I have no idea what has caused this but, I understand that renovating a sim that is populated presents many more complications than working on one that is empty and new. Thank you for all your hard work so far and I do hope that you will continue to share your many positive talents with CDS.

The work you do that is good work is much appreciated by us all.

Cleo

Cleo
Victor1
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Victor1 »

Cadence Theas wrote:

I think that every one of us has to reflect on why something as creative and interesting as a sim reform, the only intent of which was to improve on CDS, got side-swiped by politics and politicos, personal interests and deliberate misrepresentations. Yes, this is democracy at work, but it is not a very good representation of how a democracy should work.

This isn't a democracy anymore, its a joke.

Cadence Theas
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Cadence Theas »

Well Victor, we can sit around and lament about it, or we can try to do something about it. I don't think it is as broken as you make it seem, and yes there are processes and people that seem determined to make everything an obstacle at every possible term. But I do feel that if we are property owners here, we 1) accept CDS warts and all (or trolls and all), and 2) do our part to make it an enjoyable democratic and social experience. I don't think democracy should be an obligatory thing, but CDS does offer some unique social and environmental contexts that behooves us to be more participatory. The forum is one place we can construct arguments, but there are many others.

Victor1
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Victor1 »

Cadence Theas wrote:

Well Victor, we can sit around and lament about it, or we can try to do something about it. I don't think it is as broken as you make it seem, and yes there are processes and people that seem determined to make everything an obstacle at every possible term. But I do feel that if we are property owners here, we 1) accept CDS warts and all (or trolls and all), and 2) do our part to make it an enjoyable democratic and social experience. I don't think democracy should be an obligatory thing, but CDS does offer some unique social and environmental contexts that behooves us to be more participatory. The forum is one place we can construct arguments, but there are many others.

1: The trolls should be banned.

2: There should be a system in place where a vote of "No Confidence" can be placed against a member of the RA, right now, there isnt one, which means any member of the RA is UNIMPEACHABLE and their term continues on even if it's blatantly obvious they have absolutley no regard for the well being of CDS, and yes cleo, i'm talking about you.

3: Powerplay within the RA has ground the development of Locus to an absolute standstill, again due to the actions of ONE single RA member (again.. cleo) which has caused another RA member to wash their hands of LA and walk away, and to be honest I cant blame Rose for walking away one bit.

You lot can play politics all you want, as long as it doesnt affect the actual CASH PAYING RENTERS of the regions. I was told that LA was due for a redesign and that by now it should have been well underway. Take a look at this Cadence... https://secondlife.com/destination/tuscan-order thats my old home in LA (which Lia now has) the Lab added that to the destination guide themselves and "bigged up" the whole "Democracy" thing of CDS and then stuck my name on the Destination Guide listing. All the while I am sitting here watching this train wreck of a government be held to ransom by one single elected member of the RA...and now that train has crashed into a brick wall.

If this was a democratic government in RL? Cleo would be hauled up infront of the supreme court for voter buying, the chanceller/president would be currently getting impeached for doing nothing about the steep spiralling downward slope of his/her government and the rest of the government would have been sacked.

Three weeks ago Lia and myself was about to just ditch the plot we have in LA and walk away from the whole CDS failure...then the Lab added my build to the Destination Guide. Ya know the first thought that went into my head Cadence?

"What if some power mad nut job buys my plot when i leave, they will get all the traffic associated to the plot via the destination guide"

It's a sad state of affairs Cadence when TWO people think the same thing at the same time. It;s the only reason Lia and myself are still in LA, because the Destination Guide listing has locked us into that parcel and I am now too scared to give the parcel up incase a nut job takes the parcel over and uses MY name for their own benefit.

I'm sorry Cadence, if this is your idea of a "democracy" then guess what...

ITS FAILED... MISERABLY

Last edited by Victor1 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cadence Theas
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Cadence Theas »

Victor, to characterize something as a failure means that it is all done. I think CDS, as with any democracy or social experiment, is a permanently on-going process with some good moments, and some bad moments, and some really really bad moments. Maybe right now we are between the bad and really really bad moments. All countries go through this, sometime with very good leaders and sometimes with very self-serving ones. This is what I mean, we have decided to make this our virtual home, so we identify what is wrong, and then figure out how we can make it better. I like the idea of no-confidence votes, for example. There are other mechanisms like referendums that can be quite useful. But CDS has not failed because there are still a lot of good committed people here to make it work as a social experiment.

cleopatraxigalia
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

1. CDS has not failed. No matter how many times you say it has, it has not, its still here, we have five sims. And probably close to a record number of citizens.

2. If any citizen of CDS wants to make a proposal about no confidence in elected representatives, write a proposal and hand it to the LRA, post it on the forums for review.

3. FYI: there are five members in the RA this term, I only get one vote. I represent the people who voted for me.

4. CDS does not have "renters" we are all "citizens".

5.Thank you for all the good and positive things you have done for CDS. Please consider staying and contributing to our wonderful society. It's really a great place if you give it a chance.

Last edited by cleopatraxigalia on Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cleo
Bagheera
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Bagheera »

Vic, I believed I have asked your advice inworld privately, as I have also asked others, but you chose to keep your counsel to yourself, which is your right... but if you are then going to cry to the rooftops that the Chancellor is doing nothing and ought to be impeached, aren't you being rather unfair?

Rosie's choice to leave is due to a misunderstanding between her and me. Place the blame squarely at my doorstep. The issues that instigated our falling out were because I came very late "officially" to the LA planning party, I felt the planning was stuck in the past - working off the concepts that had been developed when the sim was still vacant - and I was not as diplomatic as I should have been with my feelings.

Rosie had stated at last Saturday's RA meeting that there were plans to move citizens, which caught me by surprise, as I thought moving LA citizens was off the table. Afterwards, I have gotten earfuls from citizens about what was said. Today's meeting at my Locus Amoenus property - open to all citizens to attend, but with the first order of business to sort out LA citizen concerns - begins at 3:30pm.

Usually I Dislike a Cloud Sky
Tonight I Realize That a Cloud Sky
Makes Me Appreciate the Light of the Moon
- impromptu poem composed by Gen'i
as depicted in Yoshitoshi's 100 Aspects of the Moon

Return to “Sim and City Planning”