Time to Halt Work on Locus Amoenus

Forum to discuss and coordinate the expansion of the CDS and the redevelopment of existing territories.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Time to Halt Work on Locus Amoenus

Post by Patroklus Murakami »

I've noticed that work seems to be continuing on the Locus Amoenus rebuild despite the fact that our Chancellor has resigned and we are about to hold a by-election to choose a new one.

My understanding of the mandate for building work is that the RA instructed the Chancellor to conduct the rebuild. Since we have no Chancellor it would seem to follow that building work should cease since there is no democratic mandate for carrying out further work. Doing any further work could well turn out to be nugatory if an incoming Chancellor decides that the work carried out is not up to standard or in line with the overall plan. I think that, so no one's time is wasted, it would be better if further building were to halt.

I'm sure that no one wants to see a hiatus in the LA rebuild and for this to take even longer to complete but I think this in an inevitable consequence of our erstwhile Chancellor resigning before the work was completed.

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Garnet Psaltery
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Re: Time to Halt Work on Locus Amoenus

Post by Garnet Psaltery »

I agree fully. LA is set to be a flagship sim for CDS with all the publicity it was getting and could again if we allow talented builders to build! The standard I'm seeing to the north of the bay for non-bought builds is simply not good enough. It looks like something from 2009, and things like badly set textures and prim flutter are not acceptable. With a new Chancellor we'd have a chance of the Guild starting work, as is proper. I should not want to see the same situation repeating as happened with Bagheera and the Guild, who could not see eye to eye. There is now no justification to continue with the current builds. If I were Chancellor, I'd remove it all and get it replaced with something decent.

cleopatraxigalia
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by cleopatraxigalia »

The chancellors orders should still stand until a new one is elected. As a member of the 20th RA I belive it is fine for Sudane to continue working on the order that the ra gave for the plan to be completed.

That is the only work left to be "done" on the sim, that which was given to Sudane.

The fishing village buildings of course will have to be approved by the new chancellor and none of them are even completed yet, as far as I know. They are collaborative works in progress. Perhaps whoever is elected chancellor, the guild will realize what's best for cds and cooperate with the incoming chancellor and the vote of the RA. All of us cooperating whether things are our personal first choice or not, that's democracy The fact is the ra voted unanimously for the current plan to be implemented. We all have to work together. Any member of the current artisans guild could have offered to work with the chancellor thanks to the ones who did. For whatever reason the ones who didn't it wasn't team work and it was not one persons fault. It never is.

But the infrastructure work is all being done by Sudane as far as I know. I do not believe there is any legal reason she should cease.

Thanks though for speaking out pat and garnet. Now your agenda is in the open. Let us know what else you plan to do should you be elected chancellor. LA has never been poised to be the CDS flagship, it is our fifth sim and the current home to many new cedar island returnees as well as new and older citizens.

PS If cds has a flagship sim it's definitely NFS amd I do not expect that to change.

Cleo
Bromo Ivory
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Bromo Ivory »

I haven't seem much work being done in LA at the moment except by Sudane who has moved a bridge into the air, out of sight, and is adjusting the sea wall with a promise to put the bridge back once she figures out how to do it. Perhaps you can take your complaint to her? I don't think anyone else is doing anything, though I could be wrong, since I am not really connected with the previous administration. But don't take my word for it, go look for yourself.

Clearly you have plans for LA aside from stopping work, can you elaborate? Clearly Garnet, who appears to be your running mate, has plans for de-rezzing the entire (I assume just) public build and building something new "flagship" style can we assume that you both are equivalent to each other in this campaign promise? Considering the powers of the Chancellor is extensive in this area ... it is a fair question.

I am mainly concerned that I am going to end up evicted from my properties in a misguided "complete SIM revamp" and reparceling along the lines of what was proposed by Tor awhile ago (if I recall it was evicting everyone from LA, and reparceling, with the best lots going to longer time residents, who also happened to be his strongest political supporters). Can you assure me and other residents that you will not be evicting residents currently renting if you were to win the election?

Patroklus Murakami wrote:

I've noticed that work seems to be continuing on the Locus Amoenus rebuild despite the fact that our Chancellor has resigned and we are about to hold a by-election to choose a new one.

My understanding of the mandate for building work is that the RA instructed the Chancellor to conduct the rebuild. Since we have no Chancellor it would seem to follow that building work should cease since there is no democratic mandate for carrying out further work. Doing any further work could well turn out to be nugatory if an incoming Chancellor decides that the work carried out is not up to standard or in line with the overall plan. I think that, so no one's time is wasted, it would be better if further building were to halt.

I'm sure that no one wants to see a hiatus in the LA rebuild and for this to take even longer to complete but I think this in an inevitable consequence of our erstwhile Chancellor resigning before the work was completed.

Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

==
"Nenia peno nek provo donos lakton de bovo."

Bromo Ivory
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Bromo Ivory »

Garnet Psaltery wrote:

With a new Chancellor we'd have a chance of the Guild starting work, as is proper. I should not want to see the same situation repeating as happened with Bagheera and the Guild, who could not see eye to eye. There is now no justification to continue with the current builds. If I were Chancellor, I'd remove it all and get it replaced with something decent.

And from what I have gleaned from notes it looks like the Guild rejected the plan. If it wasn't simple political sabotage, then LA would need a new plan in order to be accepted by the Guild. I don't think de-rezzing a couple of buildings and plopping down new ones built by them would do it?

So, how would you change the PLAN to make it acceptable to tbe guild?

==

Callipygian
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Callipygian »

Bromo Ivory wrote:

I am mainly concerned that I am going to end up evicted from my properties in a misguided "complete SIM revamp" and reparceling along the lines of what was proposed by Tor awhile ago (if I recall it was evicting everyone from LA, and reparceling, with the best lots going to longer time residents, who also happened to be his strongest political supporters). Can you assure me and other residents that you will not be evicting residents currently renting if you were to win the election?

Bromo, you seem to swing from sincerely wanting to see the general tone of things here improve, over to throwing gasoline onto the fire.

Evict everyone from LA and give the best parcels to friends?? If that is truly what you 'recall' then going back and reading the whole sorry history of the LA revamp would be a good thing. From a mostly empty sim needing rejuvenation, multiple meetings, through a few people raising concerns about eminent domain, through the ever increasing rhetoric that led new residents of LA to believe they were to be mistreated (not surprising this was during campaign time), to the current state of mistrust and general political manuevering. I would hope after doing so that you would realize you owe Tor an apology.

If your recollection has been assisted by someone telling you this is what happened, I would say you have been misled.

These frequent attacks on the work Tor did as Chancellor, not just by you but by others as well, at a time when those same people are decrying the way they feel Bagheera has been treated -it resembles the pot and kettle.

Did Tor do everything right? Of course not. Neither has Bagheera, nor any other chancellor before or to come, most likely. If people truly want to see a gentler tone to life in CDS and on these forums, it can start with voicing concerns something like this:
' I am worried I might lose my parcel - would the candidates for Chancellor please identify the changes they intend to make to the current plans for LA, if any?'

No knives involved, just a request for information that doesn't involve trashing someone in the process - assuming of course that the desire IS for information.

Calli

Last edited by Callipygian on Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited to fix quote formatting
People often say that, in a democracy, decisions are made by a majority of the people. Of course, that is not true. Decisions are made by a majority of those who make themselves heard and who vote -- a very different thing.

Walter H. Judd
Bagheera
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Bagheera »

Ceasar, Ludo and Sudane were given instructions and powers to work on Locus Amoenus on a plan that was unanimously approved by the RA while I was still in office as Chancellor. Why would they need to be singled out to stop when those with Estate Manager powers are also continuing to do things like change the seasons, clean up stray prims and help citizens with land transfers. They are all under the authority of the previous Chancellor. The work of the government and land management does not stop without an express order. That is how I would interpret our laws, both theoretically and pragmatically.

Usually I Dislike a Cloud Sky
Tonight I Realize That a Cloud Sky
Makes Me Appreciate the Light of the Moon
- impromptu poem composed by Gen'i
as depicted in Yoshitoshi's 100 Aspects of the Moon
Bromo Ivory
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Bromo Ivory »

Callipygian wrote:
Bromo Ivory wrote:

I just don't want to be evicted, it really is that simple. When I hear all the talk about changin ghte LA plans and such, given the previous plans were going to be evicted (though the plans didn't pass) I get worried. I feel that would be a mistake, but it would hurt me, specifically.

But also the dramatically charged called to "stop work" by candidates with the implications that there will be big changes, and, indeed sympathetic calls from what appears to be an ally calling for those big changes, while declaring the builds in one part of the sim not ethetically to par (exception to prefabs noted) - how am I to interpret it?

I also think that my intent wasn't quite so accusatory as interpreted. But I suppose todays' LA build stirs passions like the Judiciary in 2006, and the Citizenship Commission in 2008. I'll be more careful, I misjudged the sensitivity of the topic.

But, even though my manner may be a little hot-headed - I still would like some sort of reassurance that the candidates that clearly want to change LA from what it is becoming, the evictions are not part of those plans.

==

Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Bromo

No one is talking about 'evicting' people... except you. I'll set out how I would complete the LA rebuild when I publish my manifesto. Until then, paranoid musings about what candidates 'might' do are just ways of spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt.

cleopatraxigalia
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Cally wrote:
"Evict everyone from LA and give the best parcels to friends?? If that is truly what you 'recall' then going back and reading the whole sorry history of the LA revamp would be a good thing. From a mostly empty sim needing rejuvenation, multiple meetings, through a few people raising concerns about eminent domain, through the ever increasing rhetoric that led new residents of LA to believe they were to be mistreated (not surprising this was during campaign time), to the current state of mistrust and general political manuevering. I would hope after doing so that you would realize you owe Tor an apology."

Cally , Seriously !

First of all where are you trying to get the REAL malicious posters to stop posting... Maybe go look at the flagged posts again. Now you are using your forum moderator role as a political swat to Bromo? get serious here, LA was NOT EMPTY ! when the plan to take people out of parcels was proposed and rosie kept on with having to move people to build her plan ! UM how could an empty sim require EVICTIONS !!! this is too funny for words.. sorry.

No one owes tor an apology. He owes the citizens one, and an explanation of his behavior and lack of judgement for trying to get rid of land owners and lock down parcels in order to fill a sim. Surely you read Tor's document called " A Fair Plan of Land Redistribution". just not making sense cally, sorry hon. You all can say that you fill sims by locking down parcels and upsetting current owners rights to own the land they bought til the cows come home and it will never make sense.

Last edited by cleopatraxigalia on Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cleo
cleopatraxigalia
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

" Patrokolus wrote: Bromo

No one is talking about 'evicting' people... except you. I'll set out how I would complete the LA rebuild when I publish my manifesto. Until then, paranoid musings about what candidates 'might' do are just ways of spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt. "

Great Pat, assure us you wont move one parcel line in LA.. id like to see that in writing from you. The guild had been asked for that for weeks, and never came up with a plan that would not require currently owned parcels to be redefined. That is why Bagheera had to go forward and make a plan that did not displace anyone.

Also Pat, With Rosie, Tor and Shep in the RA .. YOU as chancellor or Garnet give the rest of CDS no voice whatsoever.. a huge disadvantage as suddenly all the power is in the CAMP of Rosie's Guild+Pat's politics+Tor's ways+soro's partners SC.. the unnamed faction is still a faction and we all know who you are. And yes, YOUR camp garnet and Pat have a HISTORY despite what YOUR friend Cally says.. of making plans to displace land owners from their land. It is a fact.

Cleo
Garnet Psaltery
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Garnet Psaltery »

cleopatraxigalia wrote:

YOU as chancellor or Garnet give the rest of CDS no voice whatsoever

Unproven, even by someone who can see the future, apparently.

cleopatraxigalia wrote:

YOUR camp garnet and Pat have a HISTORY despite what YOUR friend Cally says.. of making plans to displace land owners from their land. It is a fact.

No, it isn't. I haven't made any plans.

Cadence Theas
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Cadence Theas »

This is unbelievable. We achieve a relative peace and tranquility for a few days, and then Cleo and JerryDon start in again and again to get things heated up again. I have a suggestion to both of them. Go into your bathrooms, take a look in the mirror and fight with the person you see there, and leave the rest of us to construct CDS in a harmonious manner.

Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

cleopatraxigalia wrote:

" Patrokolus wrote: Bromo

No one is talking about 'evicting' people... except you. I'll set out how I would complete the LA rebuild when I publish my manifesto. Until then, paranoid musings about what candidates 'might' do are just ways of spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt. "

Great Pat, assure us you wont move one parcel line in LA.. id like to see that in writing from you. The guild had been asked for that for weeks, and never came up with a plan that would not require currently owned parcels to be redefined. That is why Bagheera had to go forward and make a plan that did not displace anyone.

Also Pat, With Rosie, Tor and Shep in the RA .. YOU as chancellor or Garnet give the rest of CDS no voice whatsoever.. a huge disadvantage as suddenly all the power is in the CAMP of Rosie's Guild+Pat's politics+Tor's ways+soro's partners SC.. the unnamed faction is still a faction and we all know who you are. And yes, YOUR camp garnet and Pat have a HISTORY despite what YOUR friend Cally says.. of making plans to displace land owners from their land. It is a fact.

I'm not a member of any 'faction'. I haven't been since I left the CSDF several years ago. But your post is fascinating for explaining how you see the lay of the land in the CDS.

cleopatraxigalia
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Garnet Psaltery wrote:
cleopatraxigalia wrote:

YOU as chancellor or Garnet give the rest of CDS no voice whatsoever

Unproven, even by someone who can see the future, apparently.

cleopatraxigalia wrote:

YOUR camp garnet and Pat have a HISTORY despite what YOUR friend Cally says.. of making plans to displace land owners from their land. It is a fact.

No, it isn't. I haven't made any plans.

Garnet .. it is proven that with 3 people in the RA voting with a chancellor in their camp that there is the ability for those three votes to do what they want, if the chancellor is on their side, then its a give the chancellor wont veto them. No matter who the other 2 ra members are anything that is not constitutional can be passed easy peasy as long as the chancellor and the 3 ra members are in agreement.
This is a fact. its independent of who.

A better "balance" for CDS is where 3 RA members are in one CAMP or faction, the chancellor is in the CAMP of the other 2 or independent. it gives a better balance of power.

And history is not dependent on anyones plans, sorry .. your camp.. or your known supporters lets call them.. have a known proven documented history of wanting to displace citizens. im not saying you will do it .. I am asking you if you will, and you still neither you or pat have answered the question definitively .

Saying their are no factions doesn't make it so :) You have allys and we all know who they are.

Cleo

Return to “Sim and City Planning”