Completing the LA Rebuild

Forum to discuss and coordinate the expansion of the CDS and the redevelopment of existing territories.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Completing the LA Rebuild

Post by Patroklus Murakami »

Ceasar's new bridge is in place, Vic's fishing village builds are close to completion and Cadence will shortly begin construction on her own fishing village homes.

We need to think about how to make this 'official', transfer a full perms copy to 'Archie' (the CDS Content Archivist avatar) and pay sufficient recompense. This has tended to be 'token' payments as you will see from the record from 2008.

I propose we adapt the existing agreement process developed in 2008 here and post the agreements here.

Amended agreement:

• a. Builder: (YourAvatar Name here)
    b. Project: (What you built)
    c. Region: (where is the project located?)
    d. Date: (Date you post)
    e. Payment: (Amount you will accept for full payment)
    f. I acknowledge my acceptance of the License agreement dated October 27, 2008, as completed by information in this post. Archive copies of my work have been delivered to the Content Archivist Avatar. I accept the payment on line "e"as full and complete consideration for the Project specified.

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Completing the LA Rebuild

I posted this before the election in which Ceasar was elected Chancellor. It provides a means for agreeing the transfer of intellectual property (IP) rights after a piece of work has been completed for the CDS. We established these processes after the "U-quake" of 2006 where large portions of Neufreistadt were destroyed and we found that we did not have 'back up' copies for everything.

Now that the work on the fishing village has been finished under the new administration, I recommend using the forms and process I linked to above to complete the work.

I'm quite surprised that his has *not* been done so far. People have, perhaps, been confused by the term 'contract'. These are really IP *transfer* agreements and can only be entered into when the work has been completed. This is clear if you look at the 'contracts' signed in the linked thread; they are for work which has been completed not work yet to be done.

This essential administrative task should have been done before the fishing village was set for sale with Vic and Cadence's builds in place. But it needs to be done now as a matter of urgency. Currently, you could argue that the CDS really has no legal right to use the properties that Vic and Cadence have developed for the fishing village. We are currently dependent on their goodwill and the current administration does not seem to regard that as a valuable commodity.

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Gwyneth Llewelyn »

I fully agree.

Did the current builders of LA also sign a contract before they started to build, where it was specified that, at the end of the building, they were expected to release their IP to the CDS?

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

PGP Fingerprint: CE8A 6006 B611 850F 1275 72BA D93E AA3D C4B3 E1CB

Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Gwyn

I'm not aware that we have any such contracts in CDS or have used them before. I just linked to the examples I could find to ensure we were thinking about IP transfer and making that official.

As explained elsewhere, the builders had a 'work plan' which they were working to which outlined the specific builds required and what was expected of them.

Return to “Sim and City Planning”