Proposal to update Colonia Nova theme & covenant

Forum to discuss and coordinate the expansion of the CDS and the redevelopment of existing territories.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Proposal to update Colonia Nova theme & covenant

Post by Rosie Gray »

Due to the fact that Colonia Nova's ancient Roman theme has declined in popularity, I propose that we update the theme and change the covenant. I'd like to make this as easy a transition as possible, allowing for the existing buildings and basic infrastructure to stay in place, but to allow for more modern (up to pre WW I, 1919) buildings to be added as people move in and the region evolves, and to move it from the existing site of ancient Cologne to a generic Mediterranean theme, which would reflect the current General Master Plan.

Here is the draft covenant:

Colonia Nova Specific Covenant

Colonia Nova is a southern-European themed sim (Italian/Greek/Spanish or generically northern-Mediterranean) featuring a shopping district, an amphitheatre, and the seat of the CDS government, the Praetorium. Buildings in this region resemble styles of southern-Europe and should aim to link visually with the styles of Locus Amoenus and Alpine Meadows at those regional borders. The timeframe is from post-Roman (this means Roman builds can exist, but would be ‘old’ rather than new) up to and including pre-WW1 (1914).

1. All building styles to resemble traditional southern European styles
2. Building exteriors shall use pre-industrial materials:
* Structural elements: stone, brick or wood
* Roofing elements: wood, slate or terracotta shingles.
* Exterior flooring elements: brick, ceramic, stone or wood.
* Wall elements: stone, brick, wood or stucco.
* Door and window elements: wood or metals, raw or painted.
* Large panes of glass must be partitioned by appropriate framing.

Zones and Typologies

Zone R (Villa Quarter) and Zone L (South Riverfront Plots).
3. Residential only
4. Commercial activity is prohibited.
5. Rural architecture
6. Structures may be no taller than 20 m
7. Buildings must have a 5 m distance from adjoining parcels
8. Minimum of 3 trees per 512m2 of plot area.
9. Plots in Zone R are named R.XX.
10. Plots in Zone L are named L.XX.
11. Plots R.01-1 through R.01-5 are reserved for attachment to parcels within the city walls. There must be a minimum of 2 trees per plot.

Zone C (Inner City).
12. Commercial and residential use.
13. Urban architecture
14. The ground level must open broadly to the street and be suitable for a commercial space.
15. Structures must be immediately adjacent to a street.
16. No structure in zone C may be replaced or moved without prior consent of the Executive.
17. No one may hold more than 2 lots or more than 1024m2 in zone C
18. Plots in zone C are named C.XX.

Zone S (Stalls).
19. Commercial use only
20. Urban architecture
21. Structures must be placed immediately adjacent to a street
22. Structures must have a colonnade as a boundary to the street
23. No structure in zone S may be replaced or moved without prior consent of the Executive
24. No one may hold more than 2 lots or more than 256m2 in Zone S
25. Plots in zone S are named S.XX

Zone E (Cardo Plots).
26. Mixed commercial and residential use
27. Urban architecture
28. Structures must be no taller than 20 meters.
29. All structures must be placed immediately adjacent to the Cardo
30. Plots in zone E are named E.XX.

Zone B.
31. Commercial and residential use. There is no predefined building style.
32. Structures may be no taller than 20 meters.
33. Buildings must have a 5 m offset from adjoining parcels
34. Minimum of 3 trees per 512m2 of plot area.
35. Plots in this zone are named B.XX

Public Buildings, Structures and Lands
Public buildings are not subject to specific zone or typology guidelines.These buildings and structures are directly administered by the Executive Branch of the CDS.

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Mizou Vavoom
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Re: Proposal to update Colonia Nova theme & covenant

Post by Mizou Vavoom »

Sounds like a worthwhile project Rosie, and much needed renovation of Colonia Nova.
A CDS Google doc with examples of buildings would be welcome for all zones.
A question: Are we aiming at high LoD, low Li mesh buildings?

'Egidius, waer bestu bleven, mi lanct na di, gheselle mijn. Du coors die doot, du liets mi tleven. Dat was gheselscap, goet ende fijn.'
Gruuthuuse-handschrift -circa 1400
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Mizou Vavoom wrote:

Sounds like a worthwhile project Rosie, and much needed renovation of Colonia Nova.
A CDS Google doc with examples of buildings would be welcome for all zones.
A question: Are we aiming at high LoD, low Li mesh buildings?

Thanks Mizou, and a good suggestion about examples of buildings for the various zones. Of course I think we need to aim for High LoD, low LI buildings everywhere now, as older builds are replaced. What I was thinking for Colonia Nova was that the older outdated buildings be replaced as either the owner of the parcel wants to renovate, or as the ownership turns over the CDS builders create new buildings within the new theme - if the RA decides to pass this proposal. In other words, it's not like creating an entire new region, it would be an evolving of CN gradually. I'd like to focus on the most visible, empty buildings first. And of course with the baths update being in progress, they too would make a really big difference to the public infrastructure when finished, and could incorporate some more modern features too.

~ Tommy Douglas
Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Han Held »

I don't understand what you're basing the "declining popularity" idea from -we're also having problems keeping LA filled too. I'd be surprised to find people are being put off by the Roman motif.

I'm honestly not sure what i think -if there's a clear indicator that changing theme will help us move parcels then obviously I'm for it; I'm just afraid we'll make the adjustment but find it doesn't make any difference.

---
"I could talk talk talk, talk myself to death
But I believe I would only waste my breath" -Roxy Music "Remake, remodel"
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Han Held wrote:

I don't understand what you're basing the "declining popularity" idea from -we're also having problems keeping LA filled too. I'd be surprised to find people are being put off by the Roman motif.

I'm honestly not sure what i think -if there's a clear indicator that changing theme will help us move parcels then obviously I'm for it; I'm just afraid we'll make the adjustment but find it doesn't make any difference.

Han, the ancient Roman theme in CN has been in decline for quite a long time and when you talk to people about it, most don't care for the theme as it is very restrictive. So restrictive in fact, that many of the original buildings don't event fit the theme as they were never truly ancient Roman - look at the upper stories on the old forum buildings - they look renaissance.

The idea of approaching the change this way is so that it can be done gradually, as people move in and update their own buildings, and as we can get to the public buildings to update them. This should take the pressure off of trying to get it all done at once, and it would also allow people who like their buildings just the way they are to keep them that way.

~ Tommy Douglas
Widget Whiteberry
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Widget Whiteberry »

This

the ancient Roman theme in CN has been in decline for quite a long time and when you talk to people about it, most don't care for the theme as it is very restrictive. So restrictive in fact, that many of the original buildings don't event fit the theme as they were never truly ancient Roman - look at the upper stories on the old forum buildings - they look renaissance.

The idea of approaching the change this way is so that it can be done gradually, as people move in and update their own buildings, and as we can get to the public buildings to update them. This should take the pressure off of trying to get it all done at once, and it would also allow people who like their buildings just the way they are to keep them that way.

Theme restrictions caused me to move regions. As an EM, I talk with people about these things and I know I'm not the only one.
People leave regions for all sorts of reasons, different from why we leave estates.

Edited to add: today LA is at 64% occupancy (23% short of breakeven); CN is at 47% (36% short of breakeven)

Arria Perreault
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Arria Perreault »

I agree that CDS sims have to evolve. I hope that the structure of the town of Colonia Nova with the walls and the bridge can be let as they are today. I agree that most of the buildings don't fit the roman theme and I agree that the theme of the sim must be more open. Many people are not interested to have an original roman house.
This said, my house in CN doesn't respect the new convenant. It doesn't not respect the current convenant too. But this house is the result of a long process.

First I have too many parcels in the zone C: C14 + C15 that are adjacent, C18 that is above on the left side of the street. Total of m2: 1568.
The two parcels C14 and C15 are 1088 m2. On these two parcels, I have built a house (Domus Arriana) inspired by the roman urban architecture of Herculanum. The inside walls are covered with roman paintings from Pompei (original paintings or painting after original). In one rooms, the famous paintings of the Villa of Mysteries are on display. I have set on the floors some mosaics also inspired from original roman mosaics. The house is composed of an atrium, a tablinium, a triclinium and a garden with columns. On the second floor, there are two rooms. When LL gave us more flexibility to build in SL, I have improved the house. This house is open to everyone to get an idea of what was a roman house if the 1st century AC.

I use C18 as a reserve of prims. This is also the first parcel I have ever owned in CDS. And I intend to use it to advertise the Monastery.

I want to know if the convenant could be adapted in a way I can maintain this house (for example by making a single parcel with C14 and C15 as the one behind is not easy to reach and/or by extending the surface that one individual can own). Or can I get an exception to maintain this house, as it is on this place since a while ? I have to add that I keep this house only if I can maintain its roman aspect. I will improve the house, if needed, but I don't intend to modify the style, especially inside the house.

NB : a new version of the convenant should help citizen to maintain their projects in CDS …

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Arria Perreault wrote:

...I want to know if the convenant could be adapted in a way I can maintain this house (for example by making a single parcel with C14 and C15 as the one behind is not easy to reach and/or by extending the surface that one individual can own). Or can I get an exception to maintain this house, as it is on this place since a while ? I have to add that I keep this house only if I can maintain its roman aspect. I will improve the house, if needed, but I don't intend to modify the style, especially inside the house.

NB : a new version of the convenant should help citizen to maintain their projects in CDS …

Arria, my proposal was specifically made so that you could keep your house the way it is if you want to - the intention is NOT to make anyone change their existing buildings, but rather to allow new more modern buildings and things to be added as the sim evolves.

I'm sure we can make a change to your c14 and c15 parcels to add them together for your convenience, since I know you have had them a long time and your house is a wonderful addition to the region - I've enjoyed walking through those Roman hallways. Let's talk about it sometime when we are both inworld and work it out for you.

~ Tommy Douglas
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

I am just wondering if anyone else has thoughts about this proposal, since it will be coming up in the next RA meeting.

~ Tommy Douglas
Widget Whiteberry
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Widget Whiteberry »

Rosie, I suggest posting a notice to CDS group with a link to this thread.

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Oops, I may have mis-posted. I'm not absolutely sure now what was passed during the last RA meeting. Waiting for clarification.

~ Tommy Douglas
Tanoujin Milestone
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Tanoujin Milestone »

From the minutes:

5.1) New covenant for Colonia Nova ...
[…]
Motion proposed by Tanoujin Milestone to amend the draft to an ahistorical Southern European theme, second by Gaius Tiberius Curio, motion passes unanimously (13:48-13:49)

In my understanding the RA wants you to change the passage

"The timeframe is from post-Roman (this means Roman builds can exist, but would be ‘old’ rather than new) up to and including pre-WW1 (1914)."

accordingly.

I see no reason why the new covenant should not be passed after that in the next meeting.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Ian Maclaren
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

REVISED draft theme and covenant update - changed text is bolded and blue.

Colonia Nova Specific Covenant

Colonia Nova is an ahistorical, southern-European themed sim (Italian/Greek/Spanish or generically northern-Mediterranean) featuring a shopping district, an amphitheatre, and the seat of the CDS government, the Praetorium. Buildings in this region resemble styles of southern-Europe and should aim to link visually with the styles of Locus Amoenus and Alpine Meadows at those regional borders.

1. All building styles to resemble traditional southern European styles
2. Building exteriors shall use pre-industrial materials:
* Structural elements: stone, brick or wood
* Roofing elements: wood, slate or terracotta shingles.
* Exterior flooring elements: brick, ceramic, stone or wood.
* Wall elements: stone, brick, wood or stucco.
* Door and window elements: wood or metals, raw or painted.
* Large panes of glass must be partitioned by appropriate framing.

Zones and Typologies

Zone R (Villa Quarter) and Zone L (South Riverfront Plots).
3. Residential only
4. Commercial activity is prohibited.
5. Rural architecture
6. Structures may be no taller than 20 m
7. Buildings must have a 5 m distance from adjoining parcels
8. Minimum of 3 trees per 512m2 of plot area.
9. Plots in Zone R are named R.XX.
10. Plots in Zone L are named L.XX.
11. Plots R.01-1 through R.01-5 are reserved for attachment to parcels within the city walls. There must be a minimum of 2 trees per plot.

Zone C (Inner City).
12. Commercial and residential use.
13. Urban architecture
14. The ground level must open broadly to the street and be suitable for a commercial space.
15. Structures must be immediately adjacent to a street.
16. No structure in zone C may be replaced or moved without prior consent of the Executive.
17. No one may hold more than 2 lots or more than 1024m2 in zone C
18. Plots in zone C are named C.XX.

Zone S (Stalls).
19. Commercial use only
20. Urban architecture
21. Structures must be placed immediately adjacent to a street
22. Structures must have a colonnade as a boundary to the street
23. No structure in zone S may be replaced or moved without prior consent of the Executive
24. No one may hold more than 2 lots or more than 256m2 in Zone S
25. Plots in zone S are named S.XX

Zone E (Cardo Plots).
26. Mixed commercial and residential use
27. Urban architecture
28. Structures must be no taller than 20 meters.
29. All structures must be placed immediately adjacent to the Cardo
30. Plots in zone E are named E.XX.

Zone B.
31. Commercial and residential use. There is no predefined building style.
32. Structures may be no taller than 20 meters.
33. Buildings must have a 5 m offset from adjoining parcels
34. Minimum of 3 trees per 512m2 of plot area.
35. Plots in this zone are named B.XX

Public Buildings, Structures and Lands
Public buildings are not subject to specific zone or typology guidelines.These buildings and structures are directly administered by the Executive Branch of the CDS.[/quote]

~ Tommy Douglas
Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lilith Ivory »

If possible I would like to keep the public thermae too. Either the version Gaius and Mizou started to build or another slightly more modern one.

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett
Em Warden
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Em Warden »

I appreciate this initiative very much. Like Lillith I would like to have a version of the Thermae still on the site.

When you go through hell- keep walking!

Winston Churchill

Return to “Sim and City Planning”