Road Committee - 33rd RA

Forum to discuss and coordinate the expansion of the CDS and the redevelopment of existing territories.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Almut Brunswick
LRA
LRA

Re: Road Committee - 33rd RA

Post by Almut Brunswick »

Just three comments to this vivid and prolific discussion:

1. Neufreistadt is supposed to be a German-influenced town mainly populated with Fachwerk houses. Thus I would prefer to have solely German street names here which are typical for such kinds of settlements mainly founded in the Middle Ages. Typically, streets, lanes and alleys were named after landmarks (Kirchstraße = Church Steet, Am Friedseer Tor = At the Friedsee Gate), saints (St. Katharinengasse = Saint Katherine Alley) or guilds (Böttcherstraße = Cooper Street). Depending on the region, dialect and local heritage, other, more exotic names were common.

2. Please be consequent in naming streets in one language instead of mixing up. For example, "Marketplatz" needs to be corrected to Marktplatz. When this is not understandable for non-German speakers, a translation could be added to the actual sign (like the bi-lingual road signs in RL New Brunswick/Canada). Rathaus is the Town Hall or City Hall, and we could treat it the same way. I actually don't get why some non-German speakers tend to take it as a sort of personal imposition when they need to learn the meaning of some few but essential German words in such an environment. We Germans have to learn the corresponding English words as well, and do we ever complain about it? (Sidenote: The Chancellor is - by the way - a typical German title for a sort of Prime Minister and could also be named "Kanzler". Same applies to the Guild which used to be the "Gilde" as an assembly of handcrafter colleagues in medieval Germany and bordering regions.)

3. In German tradition, it is not common to name public buildings or streets after living persons. There was one exception to this tradition in the "thousand years" between 1933 and 1945 - and I don't think we should revive this tasteless sacrilege in our wonderful little town. That would save us also discussions about the (non-)entitlement of street names especially when the name giver has a controversial reputation.

Almut

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

The custom of multi-lingual (and multi-alphabet) street, road and building signs is certainly the normal in Greece.

Multi Lingual Sign

Multi Alphabet Sign

Another

I'd be all in favor of this. I love our street and road names, but I have no idea what many of them mean :).

Re Almut's comments, some cheeky citizen might raise the possibility of canonizing the individuals named by our existing streets... OMG... St.Ulrikastrasse!!

Sudane............................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lilith Ivory »

Being a long time citizen in Neufreistadt I LOVE the street names and am strictly against changing them for whatever reason

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Sudane Erato wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:04 am

The custom of multi-lingual (and multi-alphabet) street, road and building signs is certainly the normal in Greece.

Multi Lingual Sign

Multi Alphabet Sign

Another

I'd be all in favor of this. I love our street and road names, but I have no idea what many of them mean :).

Re Almut's comments, some cheeky citizen might raise the possibility of canonizing the individuals named by our existing streets... OMG... St.Ulrikastrasse!!

Sudane............................

These are good examples for the Roads Committee to keep in mind, especially where different alphabets are used.

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Mizou Vavoom
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Mizou Vavoom »

Lilith Ivory wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:30 am

Being a long time citizen in Neufreistadt I LOVE the street names and am strictly against changing them for whatever reason

I second that!
Of course I am in favour of keeping the current names of the streets in NFS even with the painful history connected to Ulrika.
Her name reminds me of Sudane visiting me as a noob on my land in Cosy Cove, she was on her way to another of the debates with Ulrika in NFS, this would have been in 2006, i think?
For each of us, older residents, the street names are connected to our memories of years living and working with other avatars, some painful, some happy, some are of struggles ...
Just a reminder that the rebuilding of the Rathaus created hot topics in this forum a few years ago and eventhough there was a clear dislike of the person who build it originally, Kendra, the new Rathaus has a plaque mentioning her ... Rathaus rebuild 2017
Rathaus - Kendra
We could add a plaque to Ulrikastrasse, and connecting it to the Wiki about Neualtenburg to Neufreistadt! Wiki Neufreistadt- Neualtenburg so visitors can learn about our past and freedom from Ulrika's dominion.

'Egidius, waer bestu bleven, mi lanct na di, gheselle mijn. Du coors die doot, du liets mi tleven. Dat was gheselscap, goet ende fijn.'
Gruuthuuse-handschrift -circa 1400

Return to “Sim and City Planning”