The new Monastery

Forum to discuss and coordinate the expansion of the CDS and the redevelopment of existing territories.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

The new Monastery

Post by Sudane Erato »

Mention has been made that the new Monastery is taking shape in our workshop, inviting folks to visit and comment if so inclined. PLEASE do!

New Monastery in workshop

I've put in walkways so you can get around, as the workshop has a somewhat limiting footprint. Also please be tolerant of doorways that you can't walk through... yet. Some you can, but others are awaiting linking and subsequent removal of physics which will allow passage. Always keep in mind that this is a work in progress, and many things remain unfinished... doors, windows, textures, and detail fittings. Still, I hope you will enjoy a visit. This project is hugely inspiring to me, and my energy for it is really unbounded.

The monastery itself is greatly inspired by a place I once visited in RL, St Mary's Abbey on the tiny isle of Iona in Scotland. Ancient legend has it that in 563 AD the future saint Columba sailed to this spot from Ireland, founded the monastery, and set out to Christianize the Scots. Later, in the 1200's, the Abbey was built as a Benedictine establishment. Nowadays, the Abbey is rebuilt and is the spiritual home of the ecumenical Iona Community, a word-wide "dispersed Christian ecumenical community working for peace and social justice, rebuilding of community and the renewal of worship".

With Mizou's help, I am revisualizing this place as place of spiritual harmony. My personal vision, which I share with Mizou, is a harmony of balance between the male and female aspects, human life and all of the natural world. This is the underlying vision, but on this vision builds goals such as are embodied in our community and in other communities such as the Iona Community. So perhaps the new Monastery can be a home not just for spirit and peace, but for living and community activities as well.

I hope you enjoy it. Please don't hesitate to comment, good or bad.

Sudane..........................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Mizou Vavoom
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Re: The new Monastery

Post by Mizou Vavoom »

Thanks Sudane for creating such an amazing build, the more I see it growing, the more that I feel its peaceful atmosphere.
It might be also a suitable place for acapella voices permeating the old stones?

'Egidius, waer bestu bleven, mi lanct na di, gheselle mijn. Du coors die doot, du liets mi tleven. Dat was gheselscap, goet ende fijn.'
Gruuthuuse-handschrift -circa 1400
Tanoujin Milestone
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Tanoujin Milestone »

Yes, a big thank you to Sudane from me as well.

It turned out there is no possibility to take the old building on archive as is. I will try my best to link together the remains as soon as I have returned the no-transfer objects of Ramna, Samantha and Arria and hand it over to Archie.

Meanwhile Spider Macron is doing a Machinima of the Monastery, when he is done we can proceed to put the new built in place. Please be nice to Spider when you meet him ;)

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Ian Maclaren
Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lilith Ivory »

I have been able to pick a softlinked copy of the dovecote and the staircase in the Tower as I have been told both items need to be preserved :)

Thank you a lot Tan for sponsoring the Monastery parcel.
I will do my best to help with tier as I want to see Sudanes building stand here for a very long time.
... the tierbox is set so any amount can be paid so if any of you feels like helping too, you can just use the tierbox as a tip jar - hint hint ;-)

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

A really super-big thank you to Tan for sponsoring the Monastery! I can't wait to see the new building set in place :D

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Tanoujin Milestone
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

The Machinima is done, it is a 550 MB file. I have it on my hard drive. Any idea where to store it for the community?

I took some objects for the museum as Arria asked for and returned the objects I do not own. That crippled the tower, but the rest is more or less intact. I was not able to hardlink it for it was more than 265 Prims. I will keep the coalequed object, which has transfer, until someone asks for it.

The parcel is swept now, but I guess it needs landscaping, there is a roadway on the border and I am not sure whether the parcel cut is suitable for the new building.

Over to you, Sudane :)

Ian Maclaren
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Tan, Mizou created a CDS YouTube channel so that we would have a place to put any community videos. Perhaps you could ask her for the login details and upload it there. Once it is there, I could embed it onto the CDS portal, and of course, the 'share' would be available for anywhere else from YouTube.

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Mizou Vavoom
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Mizou Vavoom »

Tanoujin Milestone wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:58 pm

The Machinima is done, it is a 550 MB file. I have it on my hard drive. Any idea where to store it for the community?

I send you a msg Tan.

'Egidius, waer bestu bleven, mi lanct na di, gheselle mijn. Du coors die doot, du liets mi tleven. Dat was gheselscap, goet ende fijn.'
Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lilith Ivory »

If you send me the file I can also try to upload it on flikr and share it with the CDS group and try to share it with facebook :)

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett
Tanoujin Milestone
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Ian Maclaren
Mizou Vavoom
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Mizou Vavoom »

This is the link of the Monastery file on Archie's (CDS) YouTube channel uploaded by Rosie.

Delia Lake
Dean of the SC
Dean of the SC

Post by Delia Lake »

I love the new Monastery. It is really charming. Walking around I keep thinking I'll run into a monk or two, or maybe the ghosts of monks. Beautifully done, Sudane and Tan.

Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lilith Ivory »

Since yersterday the "Monastery" entry in the Destination Guide shines in new splendour
https://secondlife.com/destination/the-monastery

Tank you Sudane for providing the picture and thank you Tan for sucessfully flirting with the Lindens ;-)
... and thank you whoever wrote that beautiful description

Terry Pratchett

Return to “Sim and City Planning”