Sim 4 Discussion Thread

Forum to discuss and coordinate the expansion of the CDS and the redevelopment of existing territories.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Sim 4 Discussion Thread

Post by Beathan »

Arria --

I leave the specific building design to the guild, but I, at least, did not have in mind continuing with villae construction. CN is missing one critical and common kind of Roman architecture -- tenements. I would hope to see large tenements built -- and then treated as condominiums for density purposes. I think that would be well in line with historical architecture and would satisfy the RA concerns about population growth and creation of affordable lots.

Beathan

Let's keep things simple enough to be fair, substantive enough to be effective, and insightful enough to be good.
Arria Perreault
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Arria Perreault »

We have to deal with the fact that we are outside the wall. I have seen this problematic with Ulysse Alexandre. We think that we have differents ways to build this sim:

Model of the harbour of Ostia (or whatever port):

- a countryside outside the wall. A cimetery along the road. At least one temple.
- near the sea a commercial harbour with insulae (tenements).
- shops on the port

Problem: the plots will be very small. It will be hard to rez enough furniture. I don't know if people who usually live in town in small flats are amazed to live in the same conditions ...

Model of the villa Hadriana:

- a huge palace, with apartments and outbuildings that we can sell to people. Outbuildings can be shops.
- the rest of the sim is countryside, with one or two temples

In this case, the plots are attractive, because they are in a wonderful environment.

In any case, this sim need some skill to be built. We cannot have a "just rez you house" concept. In this point of view, the countryside option is much easier, but the number of plots cannot be the same (like AM). I think that we have discuss this point: do we will build totally our sims or just the infrastructure?
And again, when I talk with sim owners, they say that people prefer bigger plots.

Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

Arria --

You are right -- tenements do not make sense outside the walls. However, I think that we are building on a sim that adjoins the wall -- so we can expand the wall.

That said, I love both your ideas for the new sim. If we are outside the wall and in an nonadjoining part, I would be happy with either build. I have wanted to try a "palace build" in which citizens own discrete space in a single building, rather than own separate parcels -- and the villa Hadriana would be perfect for that. Also, I would like to see the CDS expand its commercial base -- and the Port of Ostia would be perfect for that.

On the RA determination, if we are outside the walls so that tenements are inappropriate, we should go the villa Hadriana route. The RA plan was for sim 4 to be primarily residential -- and sim 5 would then be primarily commercial to make up the difference.

Beathan

Let's keep things simple enough to be fair, substantive enough to be effective, and insightful enough to be good.
Jamie Palisades
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Jamie Palisades »

This is a thread about the artistic elements and style of Sim4. We *also* ought to chat about the manner in which we acquire (financially and ownership wise) Sim4. I am going to start a separate thread, in this Sim&City Planning category about that - as soon as I finsh reading (groan) all the relevant posts and minutes I can find.

== My Second Life home is CDS. Retired after three terms
== as chancellor of the oldest self-governing sims in SL.
Arria Perreault
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Arria Perreault »

I think it is important that every citizen are involved in the most important decisions for our community. The survey about TP is a very good experience. It is not yet direct democracy, but it gives to RA decision an empirical basis. If the RA takes a contrary decision, it has to give good reasons.
We had the opportunity to give our opinion about the former sim project. Despite the fact that my project was not choosed, I consider that it is the best way to insure that the direction we take is wished by a majority of citizen. This the reason why I have accepted and wished to work on this sim: it was the willing of the majority. The TP survey experiment shows also that we can ask several questions to citizen, to have a better view of what they expect. It's different than a simple vote.
A sim is expensive and need a lot of ressources. These ressources come mostly from volunteers. Volunteers are citizen or future citizen. It is logic to ask everyone. What I don't appreciate is to consider that a sim project is the project from one person, or whished by one person. We are a community, we are a whole. We decide together. Our different institutions may also play a role:

- RA: acceptation of the project and the financial plan
- New Guild: technical expertise

Before to go further, I ask the RA to ask the Chancellor to organize a citizen survey.

symokurka
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by symokurka »

A sim is expensive and need a lot of ressources. These ressources come mostly from volunteers. Volunteers are citizen or future citizen. It is logic to ask everyone. What I don't appreciate is to consider that a sim project is the project from one person, or whished by one person. We are a community, we are a whole. We decide together.

I did not know how such decisions worked before. I ought to say as a newbie that decision process on how to extend CN was not clear at all. What Arria says sounds very reasonable to me.

Sonja Strom
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Sonja Strom »

I propose that two Yes/No questions be added to the April Special Election:
1) "Shall a fourth sim be added to the CDS, expanding the Roman city of Colonia Nova?"
and, based on this thread: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1722
2) "Shall a private developer be allowed to work on development of this new sim, at their own risk and expense?"

Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

Sonja --

The fourth sim and the private development proposal are not the same and are not linked. They are intended to run in parallel with each other -- not overlap. Thus, I disagree with your questions as stated.

Further, we are putting the cart before the horse on referenda. We can't have referendum without a referendum (wait for it -- here's that nasty word again) process. We need to pass a bill enabling referendum and then use it. I am willing to work on this as a priority item to get it done before the election -- but we really can't just add whatever we want to the ballot. That way lies madness.

Beathan

Sonja Strom
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Sonja Strom »

The questions that I proposed above are separate questions, 1) and 2). :wink: However, their wording is only proposed and can be altered. Any suggestions for how to make them better?

I have also proposed wording for an official Referendum process here: http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php? ... 667#p10763

Sonja Strom
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Sonja Strom »

The latest on a proposed authorising bill for Referenda is to be found in "General Discussion" here:
http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php? ... d=a#p10932
and in "Representative Assembly Discussion" here:
http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1792

Return to “Sim and City Planning”