Budget for the 15th term (June 2011 thru Nov 2011

Proposals for legislation and discussions of these

Moderator: SC Moderators

Tor Karlsvalt
Chancellor
Chancellor

Budget for the 15th term (June 2011 thru Nov 2011

Post by Tor Karlsvalt »

Per CDSL 13-11 I am required to submit a budget for the 15th Term by June 13th.

The proposed budget is at the following link:

https://spreadsheets0.google.com/spread ... n_US#gid=0

The budget includes memos and notations that should answer most questions.

I should not however, that the text of CDSL 13-11 has not been posted to the portal. Yesterday I did post it on the forum.

http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3471

I look forward to the RA's quick action with regard to the budget.

Thank you,

Tor

Citizen
FernLeissa
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Re: Budget for the 15th term (June 2011 thru Nov 2011

Post by FernLeissa »

Hi Tor,

I've looked over the Executive budget that you are proposing for the 15th term. I would like to see a little more funding for New Guild Project Development, even though this would produce an increase in deficit spending given the projected revenue for the term. I do think the reserves should be used for sim improvements. I'm suggesting 1500 per month. However, I am willing to support your budget even without this increase.

Several pp have questioned the usefulness of advertising funds going to Radio Riel Volksmusik. This may be something the Exec should examine in terms of how effective our ads are, but for the present, I recommend that we continue to place ads with Radio Riel. They have a large sl audience, we have all acknowledged the importance of advertising our sims, and currently I do not see that we have had a good alternative suggested.

Fern

FernLeissa
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

I'd like to support Fern's suggestion of some additional money's towards the New Guild projects, at the $1,500/month level.

I'd also like to suggest that the Chancellor should receive some compensation for work, at the same level as the Treasurer, PIO, and Commerce Coordinator. I would say that if Metanomics are not active, then we can dispense with the Metanomics Host expense (Assistant PIO).

I propose adding $1,100L for monthly classified subscriptions to promote each sim. This is based on the basic $50L/week fee for a classified.

As to the question of the Radio Riel subscription - I've been one that has questioned its value.

Firstly, they are not PSA's, as Public Service Announcements are free - they are in fact paid ads that we are receiving. If we were receiving above and beyond what we pay for, such as some chat on the stream about C.D.S. events, or a 'live' visit once in awhile, then that would greatly enhance its value for us. I am not saying we shouldn't be continuing with the subscriptions, just debating the semantics and value of it. It is our biggest monthly outlay other than events, and I know there are other ways of spending the money on advertising that to me might be worth exploring. This includes paying for in-world searches for each sim by using the classifieds, as I've suggested above. This can be very inexpensive and does create direct traffic.

I also realize that this puts us into a deficit, but based on our recent discussions with Sudane elsewhere think that his would be a reasonable decision.

Rosie

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
FernLeissa
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by FernLeissa »

Hi Rosie,

I don't really like the idea that the Chancellor receive compensation for work. I know that some Chancellor's spend an enormous amount of time keeping our community running. RA members can end up spending a lot of time performing their duties as well. But these are positions that we fill as part of our responsibilities as a citizen in this community. They're not a job.

The Treasurer, PIO, Commerce Coordinator, etc. are the unelected, "employees" of the Executive branch. They report to an elected official, ie, the Chancellor, carrying out the day-to-day activities needed to support the Exec. In an ideal world, they should relieve much of the day-to-day responsibilities of the Chancellor,

Also, since we're kinda on the topic... I'm not quite comfortable with someone being paid as a member of the executive branch at the same time as they are serving on the RA. This appears to be a conflict of interest to me. I've sort of left this alone as I know we are very short of bodies to do the work of CDS, but we should think about it.

So... back to the topic... :D I don't think a compensation for the Chancellor should be included in theChancellor's budget.

Fern

FernLeissa
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

In RL politics, some elected officials receive compensation - I was just noticing how much work the Chancellor does and it didn't seem fair to me that he/she didn't receive something for it. I see your point though.

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Tor Karlsvalt
Chancellor
Chancellor

Post by Tor Karlsvalt »

This is a pic of the budget accepted by the RA. (Seems a PDF is not allowed) There was only one minor correction to the computation of the amount we are over. No changes were made to the actual budget.

CDSBudget 15th Term 28Jun11-No11 pg 1.jpg
CDSBudget 15th Term 28Jun2011-Nov11 pg 2.jpg
CDSBudget 15th Term 28Jun11-Nov11 pg 3.jpg
Citizen
FernLeissa
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by FernLeissa »

Hi Tor,

Thank you for posting this so quickly and with your detailed notes.

I feel fortunate to have you as Chancellor and look forward to working with you for another term. :D

Fern

FernLeissa

Return to “Legislative Discussion”