Questions for Candidates

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Bromo Ivory
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Questions for Candidates

Post by Bromo Ivory »

It really looks like the activity and desire to serve is in the forefront on many minds in this by election - I am enthusiastically happy that so many are running - and that a wide variety of optinions and approaches to the Chancellor's office are likely to be taken.

Having said that, I have an open question for the candidates as to how they would execute the office of the Chancellor if they would be selected for it:

Given the powers of the Chancellor include the following:

The Chancellor of CDS shall, subject to the laws of CDS, have the power:
(a) to determine the use to which any and all land in CDS shall be put;
(b) to expend monies held by the Office of the Chancellor of CDS for the administration and management of public facilities (including, but not limited to, roadways, signage, public buildings, public events and similar), and to discharge any other duties or powers of the Office of the Chancellor conferred by this Act or any other Act of the Representative Assembly;
(c) to publicise CDS;
(d) to appoint and pay deputies or other staff to hold office in the Office of the Chancellor of CDS to facilitate the discharge of any function of the Office of the Chancellor conferred by this Act or any other Act of the Representative Assembly;
(e) subject to the payment of adequate compensation to any citizen or citizens thereby affected, reclaim or swap any land held by any citizen of CDS for the purposes of discharging any function of the Office of the Chancellor conferred by this Act or any other Act of the Representative Assembly, provided always that no citizen of CDS shall not be caused to have no holding in Neufriestadt at all thereby;
(f) to make regulations pursuant to the above; and
(g) to enforce such regulations in accordance with law.

I would ask the follwing questions:

1. Given the current controversy surrounding covenants and covenant enforcements, how would YOU as Chancellor handle covenant enforcement, complaints, and inspections of new builds? If something is to the letter of the covenant, but deemed "ugly" by some - how would you handle that situation?

2. Given publicity of CDS is an important function, what is your plan or vision of what you would do to promote CDS?

3. The re-build of LA has not been without controversy and itself remains incomplete to its plan. What would you do as Chancellor to complete it? Would you change it at all?

4. What would you look for for your staff? If there is a disagreement between you and your staff, as happens in any organization, how will you handle these disagreements?

5. Is there anything a Chancellor should or could do to encourage a more harmonious community? If so, what?

6. Is there anything else that you feel you bring to CDS if you were to be elected?

Note, I will not make ANY comments upon the replys. I only offer this question as a forum for a candidate to distinguish themselves along some issue and how they would perform the office if they were to win!

Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.

==
"Nenia peno nek provo donos lakton de bovo."

Callipygian
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: Questions for Candidates

Post by Callipygian »

It might also be good to point out the following, since there has been much debate suggesting aesthetics are not part of the covenant, or that citizens requesting covenant enforcement are somehow out of line.

Section 3 – Public Oversight
The Chancellor must provide for regular and active citizen participation and public review of any decision concerning land use or the aesthetic or functional environment.

Calli

People often say that, in a democracy, decisions are made by a majority of the people. Of course, that is not true. Decisions are made by a majority of those who make themselves heard and who vote -- a very different thing.

Walter H. Judd
Lady observer
Casual contributor
Casual contributor

Post by Lady observer »

Wow!! great Questions Bruno!!
I will reply the best i can accordingly . However if my plans that i have falls into anothers hands we then all know they copied my ideals .So when it comes to that i may keep
that a secrete.

1. Given the current controversy surrounding covenants and covenant enforcements, how would YOU as Chancellor handle covenant enforcement, complaints, and inspections of new builds? If something is to the letter of the covenant, but deemed "ugly" by some - how would you handle that situation?
'First an for most, it has to apply by the codes an law period! I will not break nor will i bend laws.' 2nd,if some may think its ugly....I will try an suggest to the owner the build is great, prehaps we can try a new texture,if they in reply points out it follows all laws an codes...Then those who thinks its ugly ,an we are all adults here.....If you have nothing nice to say...then don't say nothing at all.

2. Given publicity of CDS is an important function, what is your plan or vision of what you would do to promote CDS?
Advertise- Each week i would pick out in each sim 2 to 3 places at a time Sending out notices in advertisement groups, second life its self, Facebook etc. I would do this until every store,Restruant, art places,etc was shown . I would do fund raisers for the veterans an cancer. I would like to do theater plays for all the public. Those are just a few i deals that i have.

3. The re-build of LA has not been without controversy and itself remains incomplete to its plan. What would you do as Chancellor to complete it? Would you change it at all?
I would go with the lay out see what needs to be done, call in the guild, find out who's building, where it was left off what their last task,look at the textures etc.an proceed . I would only make 2 changes
I would love to see a huge well built beautiful sign Welcome to Locus done....an a beautiful fountain.

4. What would you look for for your staff? If there is a disagreement between you and your staff, as happens in any organization, how will you handle these disagreements?
First they must be respectful,not to just me to everyone.How well they work with others,how well communicate with each other . If there is harmony,we wont have any disagreements.
I am a very easy person to get along with....an i do listen to what others say an respect how they feel. As i have said before i agree to disagree.If its something simple I'll go with it. Or meet them half way
no big problem at all. However i will not allow people to walk all over me either.There are boundries lines for everyone including myself.

5. Is there anything a Chancellor should or could do to encourage a more harmonious community? If so, what?
Why sure, I think everyone needs to be together in many ways. I say hand out monthly awards to people. Like best citizen of the month, the best yard,best holiday decorations. Have birthday parties for all those rezzed in each month. Have picnics an dances. Have bowling leagues,there is so much you can do to bring them together...but Bruno...the people have to want it also.

6. Is there anything else that you feel you bring to CDS if you were to be elected?
There are many things,like a welcome wagon for new comers. I would like to see LA done an get another sim,an make it a head quartes for cds,like the white house. On this sim
i would like to see a huge garden with real SL flowers that grows,a statue of sudan in the middle of it. like amaze garden ,houses for the lra an ra to dwell in, for thier time of reign.
a museum with a wall of everyones pics who has lived here present or past an the years. The names of those whos past on. Things that was made an are very old. make a time capsual an each person
put something in it an set it to open 10 years from now. I also feel like a new law should be past for the branches we have. That you can only be in one branch at a time. Either LRA , RA,LM,CHANCELLOR,
GUILD ETC. That way it can give other people a chance to grow an become apart of cds. I can go on but i wont. Id like to keep the rest to myself.

Section 3 – Public Oversight
The Chancellor must provide for regular and active citizen participation and public review of any decision concerning land use or the aesthetic or functional environment.

As for section 3.....Any ideals, for land etc....I would bring it to the people of cds attention, an include them in land projects.For instance if the ideal for a park came up...where would the people
like to see it? what would they like in it or like to see in it...including the people,who are cds,is what really matters.

Nolligan
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Post by Nolligan »

Bromo Ivory wrote:

I would ask the following questions:

I will be candid.

I am extremely disappointed by the behaviour in some of the forum threads. There are far too many ad hominem attacks. I rarely post here for these reasons and I am feel embarrassed when questioned about this incivility or the standards of public debate when asked by new or potential citizens to CDS.

So bearing this in mind I would like to amend Bromo's questions as follows:

4. If there have been any disagreements between you and another citizen, as happens in any organization, how have you handled these disagreements?

5. Is there anything you have done to encourage a more harmonious community? If so, what?

Many thanks to Bromo for starting this thread, let's hope that it can help contribute to a more constructive culture of democratic debate where differences can be vigorously and passionately expressed but always in a civilised and respectful way.

'So long and thanks for all the fish'
Cadence Theas
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Cadence Theas »

Hi,

The covenant questions were covered by Bromo, but the crisis also generated another concern that is reflected in the following questions:

1) Do you think that the Chancellor holds too much power in CDS, and do you see a need to propose a reconsideration or constitutional reform to modify these powers (and duties)?

2) Because the system of checks and balances is weak in CDS, do you think that there should be a citizen-based oversight committee that can at least draw attention to possible irregularities in the performance of elected officials?

Lady observer
Casual contributor
Casual contributor

Post by Lady observer »

Mr Nolli,
People do need to be respectful to each other,an be kind . It should not matter who you are,what your beliefs are,nor where you come from.
Everyone needs to learn to be good to each other . Thats what makes a good community,an harmony.Maybe the only way to get this ,is to fine people,for being mean
or slander.Have them pay a fine,second violation ,have their writing on forums taken away for 30 days. an the 3rd violation to be put out of CDS .
If people is gonna be that rude an nasty who would want them in CDS? This is ONLY a suggestion,maybe then people will choose their words wisely an be nice.
Im not saying for people to run an make it a law,i do know people have freedom to speak an there is a difference in speaking,an slandering each other,name calling etc .
All it takes is Kind ,Love an Tenderness,an respect, a good recipe of a great community. Words are a powerful thing people,an we all know it.
To prove my point please take 1 minute an 47 seconds of your life an watch this. Then maybe you may understand.

Lady observer
Casual contributor
Casual contributor

Post by Lady observer »

Great questions Miss Cadence!!
1) Do you think that the Chancellor holds too much power in CDS, and do you see a need to propose a reconsideration or constitutional reform to modify these powers (and duties)?
Do i think the chancellor has too much power an duties an should these be changed? No, i do not.This is apart of what the are appointed for. It is their duties an responsibility,it always has been.
It would almost be like,telling the president you cant make new laws but you can enforce what we want. Or to tell a king or queen ,you can wear the crown we place on your heads but only when we say.
It just doesnt work this way. However they are allowed to appoint ,land managers,PIOs etc,to help with things that tends to make the load lighter. For those who are not familiar with PIOs they help plan parties an activities . I dont think the people would ever allow it to ever go to far or they would be stripped an released of their duties. If they honor an respect not just themselves but the people
an if they are true at heart i dont think none of us would ever have to worry about someone ever crossing that line.

2) Because the system of checks and balances is weak in CDS, do you think that there should be a citizen-based oversight committee that can at least draw attention to possible irregularities in the performance of elected officials? Excellent!!! why sure!! Along with Miss sudane or LRA an Ra at least one witness from one of these people with 2 or 3 appointed ,I see no reason why we cant.
In case there was a glitch,it would only be fair an honest.

Bromo Ivory
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Bromo Ivory »

Yeah, I know I promised not to "reply" - and this isn't really a reply just a "bump" to ask more to put forward their views. I will not comment on them except to thank the candidate who as already replied and let the citizens know her answers to the questions that I put up (and others added their own to).

So, THANKS Tan, for answering the questions!

And to the other candidates - Jerry, Pat and Bagheera - C'mon in, the water's warm!

==
"Nenia peno nek provo donos lakton de bovo."

JerryDon Lane
Sadly departed
Sadly departed

Post by JerryDon Lane »

All three you just mentioned are wanting to go last... But this, quite obviously, is not going to work because I think the laws of physics dictate that we can't all post last. :) Draw straws, Bromo.....I'll live with the results....

The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government — lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. Patrick Henry
Lady observer
Casual contributor
Casual contributor

Post by Lady observer »

Bromo you are very welcome!! Yes the water is warm...i know i dived in first ! lol Someone had to lol might as well be me lol.
I understand why they may have chosen not too. They maybe busy writing up their speech understandable.Got to respect that. I remember,The very first time i saw CDS.
I was blown away by the beauty,the themes an wanted so much to know ....Who did this? Why they did,an what was the history on this place? Something kept drawing me back..i yearned to know more an all i could and every day I am still learning.I want to be apart of this place,make it HOME. I remember seeing the sunset on the quay...thinking what a peaceful harbor...So i put my achor down and did so.
I wanted to know the master mind or minds,who an why the created this place. You learn by asking...an when i found out they had not 1 but 2 queens i was flabbergasted!! Then seeing we are now into 10 years of CDS People this creative would never come this far and not have a back up plans in case of anything anything should happen. They made laws an begin building a dream,everyone has money in our place we all call home. A word alot of people lack in... trust.
Yes people want to know who?? How is it set up etc,etc. Now to answer some of the questions the fear of losing your places or home...Am i afraid of this?....No i am not.We the people of CDS our group
our family....For one isnt gonna allow someone to step in office an do this...common sense. Yes i said family because some of you sure squabble like you are. lol There is a huge difference when you cut each others throat or debating in politics...thats clearly seen....The question is how do we fix this? Each an everyone of you know the answer to this in your hearts.Who will apply them selves to be the better person? When someone wants to be all nasty like that...take a step back...let them jump off the stupid stick an be ugly.Do not strike back with bad words .That is only fuel an the fire has gotten way out of hand. Take a deep breath an say to yourself....I got this.Dont reply back,an if you do Bid them a wonderful day. Viewers will see this....Actions speak louder then words. When they are ranting like crazy doespacing the floor wondering why you didnt strike back,their evil little minds are gonna be up thinking i know they are up to something!! When all along it is you who can lay down at night and rest peacefully.
When they continue ,their rude awakening will finally hit them...forgiveness isnt about them......its about you. Nough being said about this..Lets move on lol
Land....I do understand when it comes to bigger land an more prims we all want it. I also noticed people saying that they felt that other peoples friends were getting first dibs the unfairness..So as a suggestion,maybe the next chancellor can advise it to be fair it was posted in group about selling of land so that everyone has a option an be in fairness an respect of all others. Solves that issue. Now on Land.....yes i do think we should keep a few lots locked for new comers who are serious about being a citizen. That means show them what we have...explain other land does come open will be annouced in CDS group it is available first come first serve. We know CDS isnt for all people, some seemed to find laws crazy or choose not to abide by them an we dont need any of that here. So in order to know if they really want this... as a suggestion......Maybe we should have new citizens swear in to become a citizen here in CDS? To promise to respect an obey the laws and abide by them, make them feel welcome,and that they made a wonderful choice Joining us. Then let them preceed with buying land an getting established . Maybe a simple solution could be easy? Thank you all for your time,to my fellow mates who are running for chancellor ,be you , an best wishes. Humbly Tandra.

JerryDon Lane
Sadly departed
Sadly departed

Post by JerryDon Lane »

INTRODUCTION

I am very proud and humbled to be so accepted by such a fine community as CDS. What a noble, rich history this community has carved and nurtured over the years and I fail to understand why anyone, with any sense of civic duty within them, would not want to actively and wholeheartedly embrace CDS and contribute to it.

I well remember the days, and probably so do you, as most of you are old-timers like me; when SL was as wild as was the American wild West just as they are portrayed in the cowboy movies. It still is in many parts, of course, but not here in the CDS sims because many of you sacrificed both time and money and arduously went to work to organize and to change your little piece of SL for the betterment of its citizens.

Who would have ever thought that a democratic experiment such as this—a mere utopian notion held in common within the minds of friends and neighbors—a totally unique and radical idea that some have termed Internet utopianism—would ever take off? Not only did it take off, it soared and today is flourishing like a tiny, beautiful flower in an overgrown, ill-tended garden called Second Life.

Look for a moment what our founding Mothers and Fathers have accomplished via much hard work and wise negotiation and thank them for it if you ever run across one as you’re walking the streets of CDS. There is positive news. The sims look nice--they are well kept. The tiers are reasonable. Many buildings are simply stunning in their beauty. There are convenient walkways and open countryside for us to ride our horses. One can just walk down the street and run into people they know for a quick conversation almost any day one chooses. There is always something to do. If you are bored, it’s your fault.

They managed to carve out a community consisting of people of different races, differing religions, some with no religion at all, people that have different sexual orientations and people of many professions and of extravagantly differing cultures and even discordant moral values. They live largely in harmony here, albeit with a dash or two of healthy fussing and fighting which occurs in any democratic society. When we disagree, which we do often, we do peacefully.

So….. look at how far we’ve come and then ask yourself this question: is this all there is? My answer to that question is a resounding no. We’ve come quite a distance but this is not all there is because we still have a way to go.

We need to grow and take democracy to every corner of the virtual world that would have it. But if we are to grow, we must have tighter organization of what we’ve already created in order to progress smoothly and efficiently.

That means we must have better laws, more clearly written ones, a tighter constitution, very clear building codes and covenants watched over by a real planning and zoning board just like they do it in major cities around the world. We must institute long range planning committees. We need an events board that meets regularly to plan and coordinate quarterly events of the type that will draw people in from all over SL. We need a mediation board established where people can take their complaints, have the board hear those, and have them efficiently resolved via board recommendations to the Chancellor.

And even more important, we must work hard together to keep our community a true democracy recognizing that every one of us must have a clear and powerful vote and voice. It must be our credo that our citizenry must be fairly and equally treated no matter who they are, what office they hold, or if they’ve been a CDS resident for 10 years or for 10 days.

THE LOGISTICS

I have read with interest some comments of late asking a very valid question. Is too much power vested in one person when we elect a Chancellor? And I have an answer to that question: yes, I think so.

I believe that the Chancellor has too many duties and too much power for any one person to possess and to properly administer. But there are ways to fix this through proper organization of that office.

In short, I’m going to get the government out of your face.

But how can this be done when only one person has all duties, powers and responsibilities that are normally assigned to the entire executive branch of most democracies? I’m going to get the government out of your face, my friend, by greatly expanding it.

Does getting something out of your face by making it bigger sound like an oxymoron to you? It isn’t. Because this massive expansion of the executive branch is an organizational one designed to streamline line this agency, and to place key people sitting on boards and committees into positions where before it was just the Chancellor herself who personally handled these matters.

Don’t be surprised when, in the next few short weeks, someone contacts you and asks you to be a part of this government. Because win or lose, this executive branch is going to be ready to go by Election Day. There is a lot of organization to do, and we must be ready to govern if and when we win it.

Of course, these are not paid positions they are advisory roles. Heck, any of us that have sat on a local schoolboard or home owner’s association know that these aren’t paid positions even in real life. They are public service positions. And, all boardmembers will answer directly to the Chancellor. It is still the Chancellor that was elected, will have the final say in all matters relative to that office and each of these positions will serve at the pleasure of the elected Chancellor.

Let me introduce you to the first agency with a little more detail.

Recently we had a big hullabaloo over a secret petition that was presented to the Chancellor because some people were unhappy with certain actions and inactions of other people. This ultimately led to the resignation of the Chancellor and is why we are in the mess we are in with a by-election.

In the future, citizens that have problems similar to those who signed this petition, or any dispute at all, can simply file a notecard with the Chancellor’s Board of Public Service, and it will be resolved with no drama.

All boards, including this one, will consist of 5 people, 4 members and a chairman appointed by the Chancellor. And once a complaint is received by this board, they will consult and decide how to handle it. Perhaps the best way to handle a matter might be to contact those mentioned in the complaint and resolve the conflict via negotiation. Other times the issue may be more complicated and hearings would be held and a vote taken among the commissioners to the settle the matter.

Next, meet the Events Commission. This is how the Chancellor’s Office will promote CDS. The Events Commission will hold monthly meetings to plan events that promote our regions. These events will be held quarterly and must be the type of well organized events that the Lab will be glad to place on the destination guide where CDS will have people literally dropping out of the sky. Then, once new people come in, we will have kiosks that directly promote democracy and CDS in particular. We will also strive to see that each event is designed to promote businesses that operate within CDS.

Onto the Building Commission--I want the Chancellor’s Office to actively and continuously reach out to the Artisan’s Guild and I will begin right now by throwing them an olive branch and by letting them know how much they are appreciated. I’ve seen the work that some of these guys have done and they are master builders at a level far beyond me. I want them to have a direct voice within the Chancellor’s Office so that we can all work in harmony to have the greatest builds possible in CDS—even the best in Second Life. I will appoint the best builders to this board, mostly members of the guild, they will envision the architectural design, I will approve it, and then they will go out and build it.

And here is one of my pet peeves, you have probably figured this out by now if you’ve been reading my posts. Meet the Planning and Zoning Commission. We need building codes and building inspectors. Who has ever heard of any city of any size without one? These commissioners will be charged with coming up with written codes in consultation with the sitting RA and then keeping citizens in compliance with them. Don’t want full bright? These codes will just say it in English……No full bright textures are permitted and the matter is settled with no drama.

Finally, meet the Legislative Committee. This committee is charged with bettering our laws by drafting legislation, clarifying legislation, repealing outdated legislation, etc. At first glance one might think this is an infringement into the legislative branch of government. No, these commissioners are simply liaisons of the Chancellor’s Office with full understanding that it is the RA that drafts and implements legislation. But we can petition them to act on certain things, suggest how to word a given law and offer them the support of the executive branch as they go about their sometimes difficult duties.

So there you have the logistics. The one-person executive branch just morphed into about 30 people all working for, and being closely supervised by the elected Chancellor. There will be no one person telling you to tear down that wall or replace that texture, instead you will be helped by a board of qualified people who wish to serve you. And, if you don’t like the way that turns out, ask for a hearing before the full board. What could be more fair to the individual citizen than this system.

ANSWERING THE QUESTIONS

I feel I’ve answered many of these questions above. However, I will note those I feel I answered and perhaps add some clarifications.

Given the current controversy surrounding covenants and covenant enforcements, how would YOU as Chancellor handle covenant enforcement, complaints, and inspections of new builds? If something is to the letter of the covenant, but deemed "ugly" by some - how would you handle that situation?

I would refer each situation to the proper board of authority after ascertaining and dissecting the complaint. If it were a building code or covenant violation it would go before the Planning and Zoning Commission. And if the matter is a complicated one, every citizen shall have the right to a public hearing on the matter before this board if the issue concerns building codes and/or covenants.

The power to affect the actions of a citizen when they err in private decision making should not reside in one person and it won’t in my administration. Let’s get the opinion of five people who specialize in a given area into this process rather than just one. People will feel they are treated fairly when issues are resolved professionally and competently and all citizens are treated exactly the same.

Would the mayor of any real life town you are familiar with attempt to handle all of that personally, without codes to rely on? No, and CDS doesn’t need to go there either. Let’s move this government into the new millennium where it belongs.

This one I believe I answered in detail above. The Events Commissioners will be working diligently and concentrating on one agenda: the promotion of the CDS sims and the businesses within them via organizing promotional events to be held at least quarterly.

It has not been without controversy and I’ve scratched my head a few times wondering why something as simple as a sim build has to be so divisive to our community. It should be a fun and exciting project!

It seems that eminent domain and silly squabbles over parceling out land to favored individuals has somehow crept into that project. I am already on record as stating that the use of eminent domain has no use in a free society as that is simply a form of abusive government trampling on the freedoms of individual citizens. I will have no part of that and I will use my office to vigorously defend any citizen who is subjected to that abuse.

Let’s allow the free market to govern all land sales and acquisitions. If our government did not have the foresight to hold back a portion of land they would need for future development, then let them buy it at the seller’s price or simply change the development plans. It’s not the citizen landholder’s problem. That’s called capitalism and it’s a system that works.

I am also very pleased and supportive of the RA member who today announced that she will introduce legislation to prohibit these land grabs before the RA. It is direly needed legislation.

As to the ongoing building in LA itself, I feel it simply needs to be completed. I’m totally on board with the Tuscan theme and I have personally spent time watching the building proceed as a builder worked in real time. The great care in detailed construction using textures taken from authentic Tuscan buildings found on-line was impressive.

With this said, I also intend to fully represent ALL citizens of CDS. I attend RA meetings and there was a complaint at one recently wherein a citizen had noticed several problems with recent construction. I believe one statement was along the line that some of the work, if I recall, it had to do with textures, looked amateurish to him. OK, let’s take a walk and look at them, maybe they do and if they do we’ll fix that.

The building in LA is also the quintessential example as to how and to where I will apply the skills of the Building Commission. Let’s let the building artists use their imagination to envision something well beyond what most of us have the ability to fabricate in our minds. I will authorize these builds either personally or via delegation, then let them go do what they love to do: build using their artistic bent.

And we need to finish this build post haste. LA property is now sold out according to my last update on it. We need another sim, guys….Let’s begin to look at new horizons in the expansion of CDS.

I will look to hire quality, intelligent, mentally well-balanced personnel that compliment my own personality and that I feel will treat each citizen fairly and equally. In fact, I’ve already talked to a few because I intend to win this election and when we do, it will be time to shut up, put up and govern. I will be ready to go and begin that government the very minute I am sworn in.

Those who know me well will have little doubt that I will treat this staff amicably. I will listen to them, take advice from them, party with them, give them a hug when they need it and share their second life with them if they will let me close enough for that to happen.

When it comes to disagreements, there will be some. There always are in every relationship. I will try to resolve these as they arise via dialog. However, again, there will be disagreements that are not easily resolved by dialog and when these occur, there is a paramount point that each staffer needs to have in the back of their mind before they come to work in the Chancellor’s Office.

If I’m elected, I am the Chancellor, they are not. I am the person that the public has voted into office to represent them and to bring their wants and needs to fruition. With this in mind, these staffers serve at the pleasure of the Chancellor and they will be closely supervised.

So will I fire a staffer that I feel is not doing the will of the elected Chancellor and therefore the will of the people, if counseling them in this area seems not to work? Yes, in a New York minute. Or, as my grandpa used to say, so fast it will make your head swim.

I think it is up to the leaders in every community to foment harmony in that community. After all, what good does it do if the trains run on time, the garbage is collected and there are no potholes in the roads if the people that live in the community are not happy.

I recently attended a meeting of some folks who are interested in starting a grievance committee. The purpose of this committee is to serve as mediators in disputes that might arise among the citizenry. And, after chewing on that for a few days, although I might have come off as a skeptic in that meeting, I began to see a real need for that in CDS.

But I’m not sure that committee will ever come into being. So please note that I have also provided a mediation vehicle in the Chancellors office. It’s called the Board of Public Service and any citizen may file a dispute with that board and they will be heard and the issue hopefully resolved and as best it can be, to the benefit of all parties.

Also let me share another pet peeve with you. Ban lines. What is up with those, as the comedians like to say. It seems there are many citizens who cannot go for a stroll down the streets and across the countryside without running into ban lines that resulted over some vague dispute they had with someone in the past, usually over something silly.

While I agree that this may be approaching a fine line between propagating harmony and infringing on the rights of freedom of expression and we have to be careful here, perhaps there is a way to regulate them. Perhaps ban lines need to be allowed to stay up only for a very limited time and then the parties must seek mediation, or the ban lines have to come down. I feel we ought to at least look at this.

I will bring experience and fair, strong, capable leadership.

I’m no stranger to politics. My close friends know that I have served as the state campaign manager for a U.S. Presidential Candidate in the 2000 elections. They also know I have run and won and ran and lost for public office myself. I ran for our local school board, won that office and served my term in it. For my British (and other) friends in CDS that are unfamiliar with U.S. politics, our public school systems are governed by elected representatives of the people that sit on these boards and supervise the schools.

Shortly after winning that seat, I then ran for a higher seat within that same school board, won, and served my term as the board secretary.

I also have run for what we call presiding commissioner of a county in the Mid-West that houses one of the top tourist attractions in the United States. Presiding commissioner is really just very similar to the Chancellor in CDS. I lost that election by a lousy 300 votes, but the run was a fun challenge for me and quite the learning experience.

I also bring years of successful business experience to CDS. In one position, I directly supervised 180 employees. In my last position I supervised the producers and directors of a major metropolitan area television station that was tied to 3 other transmitter towers across the Mid-West U.S. This television network had close to two million viewers. This company also owned 10 radio stations that I directly supervised answering only to the president of the company.

I say all this not to toot my own horn but because this is an election, I’m running for public office and I believe the public has a right to know who they are voting in or out even though this is Second Life. BTW, once you get to know me well, you’ll discover I’m pretty much an open book. In fact, my name in real life is Jerry Don….many of my SL friends, even some here in CDS know my real life last name as well.

CONCLUSION

Fellow citizens, won’t you join us?

Join us to bring much needed change to CDS. Positive change—change that offers hope for our future and fulfills dreams of freedom that I know many of you harbor just as I do. Let’s unite and accept the gift of democracy that is no longer just a dream but a reality our founding Mothers and Fathers have handed us after expending much labor to obtain it. Let’s take it to new heights. Let’s expand democracy in Second Life together.

I’m a uniter, not a divider and the reason I’m running for public office is that I feel this is exactly what CDS needs at this particular time in its evolution.

The rumors that JerryDon Lane has been brought into CDS to further the political aspirations of other people are simply not true. They are just that, unfounded rumors. The truth is, I’m my own man, I think for myself and I want to represent everyone equally and fairly from the most long-term resident in here right down to the incoming new citizen on her first day in CDS. I want to represent you, the average citizen and also you, the office holder from the Chancellor’s perspective.

American statesman Thomas Jefferson, the founder of Jeffersonian Democracy in my country once said: “Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.”

Let’s act together by bringing the much needed change I have delineated above to the fine citizens of the Confederation of Democratic Simulators.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government — lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. Patrick Henry
Bagheera
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Bagheera »

I am not waiting to answer last out of any strategic plan. As a very very few of you know, the same week that I was named Chancellor from the last election, my RL house was burglarized and the stress from that caused me to have a bleeding ulcer and become moderately severely anemic. Anemia is something I have had to deal with for much of my life, so it isn't something I can say "oh wait until I am better" or this life of mine will be spent in meaningless limbo.. but it does mean I need to recognize limitations others don't face and I just haven't had the wherewithal to compose an all-encompassing manifesto.

Regarding the "secret" petition/notecard issue, however, I had a long and productive talk with another CDS member yesterday where I was able to articulate some of my views.

One thing that I had been feeling, and that this talk confirmed for me, is that passing around a "secret" petition for signatures is very much like notecard passing in junior high. The person I spoke with had been approached to sign the petition as well, although they had declined, meaning even more people had seen that notecard than even just the list of people who signed it.

Visualize this scenario, if you please: Someone decides they don't like a particular build. They pass around a "petition" to a third of the CDS population, looking for signatures, or maybe a half, or maybe EVERYONE except two people: the Chancellor AND the person whose building precipitated the complaint. When I took office, I said, "All covenant complaints will be handled by the Chancellor" and I explained the reason why, believing that my proclamation would cut down on the at-the-time existing problem of citizens taking it upon themselves to define and enforce covenant compliance, actions which resulted in hard feelings and people feeling hounded and unwelcome by their neighbors.

Although the dynamic is slightly different, I don't see ANY improvement (or avoidance of hard feelings) by a person issuing a "secret" petition to any and everyone in CDS except the Chancellor and the "targeted party"...and then the Chancellor is in on it at the end but forbidden to disclose it to the "targeted party," so the only person who is kept in the dark is the person who is most affected by it and the Chancellor is supposed to be complicit in this. How can this be kind and gentle and quietly handled? Looking at the "slippery slope" consequences, it seems to me this could easily become used as a very sophisticated form of negative gossip. I do not believe that was the intention of the person(s) who initiated this last event.. but I believe it was/is the most likely outcome if this were to become a common practice in CDS.

So, two parts:
* in terms of governance: in my opinion, a petition that has been passed to multiple people requesting signatures cannot claim it is "private" when then given to a public official to act upon.
* in terms of neighborliness: in my opinion, a "secret" petition passed around to everyone but the person who is being complained about just seems, to me, to be a chance to build a block of negative feeling against a person without that person having any opportunity to stem its momentum or present their side.

As I said to the person I spoke with yesterday, the one thing I truly regret about publishing that petition is all the names of the buildings that were complained about were included, because THOSE were the people who were dragged into this unwillingly; who had - in good faith - done the best they knew how with their builds - and it was those people who I regret that I did not protect.

So what does it mean to be Chancellor. The first thing I bumped up against was ignorance. The biggest challenge with ignorance is, by its very nature, those who are ignorant do not know it. There is no judgment against anyone here for ignorance, neither myself nor anyone else, just hopefully an opportunity to bridge some of those gaps where ignorance has reigned.

The first ignorance I bumped up against was my own: When I took Office, there was a presumption that I would know what needed to be done and knew how to ask for which tools to get the job done. As I stated elsewhere, I think this is because the office was held so long by one person that their style became "canon" and people honestly forgot that a new Chancellor would not know certain (or many) things. For example, even in my conversation yesterday, I mentioned that I had no idea the people who were given Estate Manager powers reported to me, I assumed they reported to Sudane. The person I was speaking with assumed that since I had been here in CDS for so long, she herself assumed: of course I would know. From where I was at, when I first took office, the information I received was fragmented and conflicting, so there was no "of course" about anything.

When I first took office, Tor gave me some documents that outlined some of what a Chancellor needs to do/take care of. Those were helpful, albeit incomplete; and also not inworld but something through Google docs. What I would recommend, in the immediate future, whether I become Chancellor again or not, is to take that information and put it in inworld notecards in the care of our "Archie" - the CDSArchive Resident avatar. It was on my "list of things to do" (or get started) with the intention to hopefully build a resource of knowledge for incoming Chancellors consisting of the pragmatics and tools of how to get the job done. In the long term, I would love to start or be a part of creating a series of workshops for those who want to become Chancellor and others.

The second ignorance I bumped up against was others lack of knowledge about technical things such as the inherent (and non-negotiable) limitations of sim/prim management. If I did nothing else during my term, at least now people in CDS know that the About Land menu gives inaccurate information about prim availability. Such a small thing, but oh-so-huge in consequences.

To be Chancellor, it is not only important to know about governance but to also recognize that CDS exists in a virtual world with continual changes and advances. Examples:
* Our Constitution is dependent on following a 3rd Party TOS (Linden Labs) which has changed multiple times since inception.
* The technology is changing. Five years ago, full-bright was a tool in a graphical environment that turned dull buildings into something visible; today full bright is like that annoying neon sign outside your window you can't ever turn off. Tomorrow there will be "materials"...one of the things you won't appreciate until months from now is that the mesh walls Sudane has been installing in Locus Amoenus have Materials incorporated into them, which means they will appear truly textured.
* The technology is imperfect. One of my criteria for Locus Amoenus was to be conscientious about how mesh was used. For example: mesh is great, don't get me wrong, but it also has this tendency to disappear from view at a middle distance unless the creator has given conscientious attention to LOD. In a five sim environment, we have some long views, so this is something one needs to keep in mind for long-term/permanent builds.[/list]
It isn't enough to just focus on what "government" means, but what it means in an rapidly evolving environment.

If you are going to vote for or against me, you ought to know what matters to me, Bagheera .... why I am here: 2 things about CDS - FIRST - it is for community & friendship, then SECOND - it is a game with rules ... In the real world, when I play a game, I play to win.. but winning is never more important than having fun with the people I am with. As Chancellor, I always saw my position as one of a trust.. it was my job to take care of the people here, help them have a good time.. and also to make sure the sims were stable and income positive so we can all continue to play and learn together.

I realize I haven't directly addressed any of your questions, Bromo. More later. Thanks.

Usually I Dislike a Cloud Sky
Tonight I Realize That a Cloud Sky
Makes Me Appreciate the Light of the Moon
- impromptu poem composed by Gen'i
as depicted in Yoshitoshi's 100 Aspects of the Moon

Return to “General Discussion”