Building Bridges... Between People

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Building Bridges... Between People

Post by Patroklus Murakami »

I'm standing for election in the forthcoming Chancellor by-election. My overall campaign theme is ‘Building Bridges’ and one of the ways I want to do that is to adopt a more inclusive, collaborative style as Chancellor which truly brings people together.

My Track Record
I have a strong track record in bringing people together, working with people with different perspectives, forging a consensus and getting things done. Back in the day when we needed to be in political factions to stand for election, I organised dozens of open meetings for the CSDF where all citizens could come and discuss issues and proposals for election. These are all transcripted here.

When in government as an RA member I organised ‘Town Hall’ style meetings where everyone could come and give their point of view. This helps to break down the false distinction between ‘oldbies’ and ‘newbies’. We were all ‘newbies’ once! The only real difference is that those of us who have been around longer have seen the ways in which people successfully achieve lasting change and the ways in which people don’t. As I have written previously, we can learn from each other if everyone has a little respect for the thousands of hours of work which have established and consolidated our community and we tolerate the fact that some debates may be old to some but very new for others. If elected Chancellor, I would hold regular in world meetings so that we can discuss issues that affect people’s enjoyment of their Second Lives in the CDS and get them involved in making things better.

Believe it or not, there was a time when we didn’t have a Chancellor! All the ‘executive’ functions where shared between the other branches of government. The RA met fortnightly, the SC met very irregularly and it was exceedingly slow to get things done. The point of having a Chancellor is to “get things done” and I’m very good at getting things done. In RL I work in the UK Government delivering policies using tried and trusted project management techniques not just to time, but early!

New Ways of Working
Over time, the job of the Chancellor, and of the Executive officers such as the Public Information Officer (PIO) have grown so that few people are willing to take on the commitment. I think we need to adopt a radical new model which is much more agile, fleet of foot and which acknowledges that people are here to have fun, often have big RL commitments and are volunteers - not salaried employees. If elected, I will reach out to everyone to find out what they could do to help. It could be something small like designing a poster for the Inaugural Ball (though that would be a big job for me!) or keeping the SL publications informed of any of our upcoming events. If a lot of people do a little, it reduces the need for a few people to end up doing a lot.

Communication
One other aspect of the style I want to adopt is around clear, regular communications. If I am elected as Chancellor, you’re going to get sick of hearing from me! Time zones willing, I will be at every RA meeting and be happy to report on what the Executive is doing. I will post updates on the LA rebuild, plans to celebrate our 10th birthday on the forums regularly. I will be in world as much as my RL work schedule allows and will use the in world channels - group IM, notices and meetings - to keep everyone up to speed on what’s happening.

I plan to post more on my plans for the LA rebuild and our 10th Birthday Celebrations in future forum posts later this week.

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Bromo Ivory
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Building Bridges... Between People

Post by Bromo Ivory »

Hey Pat -

This is an honest question about LA, and will help me determine where you would go within my ranking in the vote (all slots are available in my list currently): You indidcated or intimated that you wanted to revise the LA build in some way shape or form. DO you have any specific details on what you would be prepared to do as Chancellor - are there any options that are off the table, or most definitel on the table?

As I had mentioned before, that the previous Chancellor had a parcel plan, which was approved by the RA. Are youi planning on carrying out that plan, revising it? How will you determine the new plan?

For me, this election is a referndum on LA first and foremost (seems we get passionate about builds in a way we used to about voting systems back in the day), and my rankings will reflect that for me, so I want to understand where each candidate stands on the issue.

==
"Nenia peno nek provo donos lakton de bovo."

Bagheera
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Bagheera »

As LA is over 80% occupied, which is the baseline for financial stability, and over 95% complete, I am not quite sure on what basis Pat is saying major revisions need to be made.

Usually I Dislike a Cloud Sky
Tonight I Realize That a Cloud Sky
Makes Me Appreciate the Light of the Moon
- impromptu poem composed by Gen'i
as depicted in Yoshitoshi's 100 Aspects of the Moon
Cadence Theas
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Cadence Theas »

Healing, Bags, lots and lots of healing

Bagheera
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Bagheera »

Cadence, you were very specific to point out that I had been mistaken, you didn't even own any property in LA, so I don't know what possible harm could I or anyone have caused you? You did have a cafe on common land that you were using to hold private art gallery events with art for sale with the funds going to the private parties who were selling them, you did have free rein to use Locus Amoenus as your private sandbox for over a year... so the only possible harm would be the revocation of special privileges that gave you extra benefits over and above other citizens?

Who has been injured in any way that requires "healing, lots and lots of healing?" Let them step forward and speak for themselves.

http://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php? ... 361#p22361

Usually I Dislike a Cloud Sky
Tonight I Realize That a Cloud Sky
Makes Me Appreciate the Light of the Moon
- impromptu poem composed by Gen'i
as depicted in Yoshitoshi's 100 Aspects of the Moon
Bromo Ivory
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Bromo Ivory »

Cadence Theas wrote:

Healing, Bags, lots and lots of healing

If there is one thing we denizens have in CDS, it is a flair for the overly dramatic.

LOL

I suspect we'll be discussing these things in 20 years ....

==

Cadence Theas
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Cadence Theas »

Bags, I don’t know when I said “my” healing, but I don’t think I did. If you are trying to be obtuse, don’t, it is not becoming. I am referring to the very divisive process that was LA, the alienation of many citizens, the drama that you created renouncing your position, the acrimonious postings in the forum, and the list goes on. And it is not your fault, this has been going on for a long time, and has affected many members of CDS, not just the LA residents.

So when I refer to healing, it is just that, a need for all of us as CDS members to somehow try to get past the rancor. You are a funny person, Bags, I speak in general terms for all of CDS and you always try to personalize it to me. This is not about me, and it certainly isn’t about you, it is about something that CDS needs to do. Clean up the forum, find more decorous ways of talking to each other even in disagreement. Be nice, as Pip says.

I also don’t know why only LA residents make decisions about LA. As either Bromo or Pat said one time (I am not sure who), they have owned property in every sim except for Monastery. If LA could be my potential home next month if I decide to buy there, and this is true of any CDS member, then it is in my interest to be a part of the decision making. It is just logical that even if I live in another sim, I want all of my community to look nice. Even if I don’t have a property in LA, it pains me to see the type of conflict that has been generated over it.

We are a COMMUNITY, Bags, which means that all of CDS is ALL of our collective responsibility. I think you forget that sometimes--the part about all of us.

Now the personal part. Regarding the cafe and the one art show that you and Cleo seem so fixated on. My intention was to take an unused section of LA (No one went down to the quay), to make a small intimate cafe to be able to invite a series of artists both CDS and non CDS members to exhibit there, and to make it a monthly event with a different artist every time, for the artist to give a talk about their works, or to give a performance on the small stage that was there. Because such a scandal was made of the first exhibition, and the accusations of all the money being made (I think she sold one painting, small recompense for letting CDS members enjoy the art she produced. I was even accused of making money on the side. We have a saying in Colombia, that the thief judges others from his own behavior, that might be the case here), I decided that I would not put any other artist through such an ordeal, and did not invite any other artist CDS or otherwise to give an exhibition. I am ashamed of my own egotism, to think that these artists were coming to CDS for the benefit of the community. Silly me.

And LA as my personal sandbox? let me see...Mikelo asked me to build his house, so I had permission there (I did it for free). And Covey and Imper asked me to build their house, so I had permission there (I did it for free, Covey paid for the plants and textures). The chancellor of the moment, Tor, asked me to build the duplexes, so I had permission there (I did it for free). He also asked me to try to resolve the problem of the four properties in the middle of LA, a project I began but which was then decided not to be effective, so I had permission there (I did that for free too) and the partially finished houses deleted when the project was decided to not be viable. Where is the sandbox, Bags? Don't make this personal, you will lose the argument.

Bromo Ivory
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Bromo Ivory »

I also don’t know why only LA residents make decisions about LA. As either Bromo or Pat said one time (I am not sure who), they have owned property in every sim except for Monastery. If LA could be my potential home next month if I decide to buy there, and this is true of any CDS member, then it is in my interest to be a part of the decision making. It is just logical that even if I live in another sim, I want all of my community to look nice. Even if I don’t have a property in LA, it pains me to see the type of conflict that has been generated over it.

Actually I have owned land in EVERY SIM in CDS, thanks! ;-)

It sounds like every Chancellor candidate has agreed that wholesale changes to LA aren't in the cards. Pat promises the largest possible changes (he leaves the door open to some minor things, but promised not to make citizens relocate or move their house or change their house to accomodate any other changes) but even he is drawing the line at a wholesale revamp.

==

Cadence Theas
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Cadence Theas »

Thank you Bromo for the first reasonable assessment of the candidates positions about LA. Maybe some of the hysterical folk can leave the forum alone now.

Return to “General Discussion”