A statement and suggestion regarding owning many parcels in the CDS

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

A statement and suggestion regarding owning many parcels in the CDS

Post by Sudane Erato »

A few of us who are citizens in the CDS are fortunate enough to own many parcels. This may bring pleasure to us, but also brings huge benefit to the economy of the CDS, as we struggle to gain new residents. When we own these parcels, we provide the much needed economic benefit of significantly helping the community to pay its tier.

But early on we established that it was best if a single citizen did not own TOO MANY parcels, and to my understanding a law is in place regarding this. So there is a need, I think, to reconcile these two concerns.

As a citizen who indeed owns many parcels, I make the following offer. And I offer this as a basis for a policy which the community might refine and adopt.

I own parcels of two sorts. Some are my “core identity parcels”, in my case the few parcels I have lived on in NFS since the community was founded. They are P250 and a few parcels surrounding it, making up a chunk of land at the east end of the valley.

But the much larger number are parcels that I have bought and created personal expressions with. Sanctuaries, chapels, bars and bakeries. Some of the parcels have been designated places for historical preservation. But some of them are simply personal enjoyments. It is this latter group of parcels that I should like to declare are parcels that are available to existing, or new, residents who might wish to enjoy them.

My offer will come with no obligations to preserve any of the content on these parcels, unless the community determines that such content should be preserved. When a new owner is identified I will transfer the land for nothing. But, of course, they’ll need to start paying the tier.

Lil has suggested that a way to identify such parcels might be to place a simple, discreet sign at each. That may work. Identifying available parcels is one challenge of making this work, and a second is identifying which parcels should have content preserved for historical community reasons.

So maybe there are two kinds of (discreet) signs that might be posted. One for parcels which you can do anything you’d like with, subject to the existing covenant. Another might be for parcels where the community has identified content which it would prefer preserved. Ownership of that parcel would incur the moral obligation to preserve the content (I’m not sure how to enforce that obligation, other than perhaps to have the creator store everything in their inventory, and if the parcel owner deletes it, retake the parcel and restore the content).

So I’m floating this offer for discussion. We thought it might best be brought to the LUC, since it is a “land use” issue, which the committee might discuss and prepare an actual recommendation to the RA. But I’m entirely open to suggestions regarding what process to use. The core message here is that the parcels I own, except for the previously noted “core identity parcels”, are available to anyone who might like to use them creatively.

Sudane................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Kyoko
Pundit
Pundit

Re: A statement and suggestion regarding owning many parcels in the CDS

Post by Kyoko »

I've been meaning to respond to this, but have been both scattered and then a way for a week.

This is really 2 separate issues. The 12 parcel limit was rescinded a few RAs ago. That is a double edged sword IMHO. It get more parcels purchased (pleads guilty) and if a person with many parcels leaves CDS we have a pretty immediate big hole.

The other is the what I call the "Legacy" parcel issue. It's come up before. I know you and I hold several of these as may others. Mine are the Gasthaus, Garden of Peace, **Apar del Pip** (until the end of this year) and Venus Cafe (the latter my personal designation LOL). As you point out it would be hard to enforce. So perhaps we are best served by our ad hoc system where citizens are encouraged to protect a legacy parcel by buying and maintaining it.

CDS Citizen
Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Han Held »

Sudane Erato wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:15 am

A few of us who are citizens in the CDS are fortunate enough to own many parcels. This may bring pleasure to us, but also brings huge benefit to the economy of the CDS, as we struggle to gain new residents. When we own these parcels, we provide the much needed economic benefit of significantly helping the community to pay its tier.

But early on we established that it was best if a single citizen did not own TOO MANY parcels, and to my understanding a law is in place regarding this. So there is a need, I think, to reconcile these two concerns.

As a citizen who indeed owns many parcels, I make the following offer. And I offer this as a basis for a policy which the community might refine and adopt.

I own parcels of two sorts. Some are my “core identity parcels”, in my case the few parcels I have lived on in NFS since the community was founded. They are P250 and a few parcels surrounding it, making up a chunk of land at the east end of the valley.

But the much larger number are parcels that I have bought and created personal expressions with. Sanctuaries, chapels, bars and bakeries. Some of the parcels have been designated places for historical preservation. But some of them are simply personal enjoyments. It is this latter group of parcels that I should like to declare are parcels that are available to existing, or new, residents who might wish to enjoy them.

My offer will come with no obligations to preserve any of the content on these parcels, unless the community determines that such content should be preserved. When a new owner is identified I will transfer the land for nothing. But, of course, they’ll need to start paying the tier.

Lil has suggested that a way to identify such parcels might be to place a simple, discreet sign at each. That may work. Identifying available parcels is one challenge of making this work, and a second is identifying which parcels should have content preserved for historical community reasons.

So maybe there are two kinds of (discreet) signs that might be posted. One for parcels which you can do anything you’d like with, subject to the existing covenant. Another might be for parcels where the community has identified content which it would prefer preserved. Ownership of that parcel would incur the moral obligation to preserve the content (I’m not sure how to enforce that obligation, other than perhaps to have the creator store everything in their inventory, and if the parcel owner deletes it, retake the parcel and restore the content).

So I’m floating this offer for discussion. We thought it might best be brought to the LUC, since it is a “land use” issue, which the committee might discuss and prepare an actual recommendation to the RA. But I’m entirely open to suggestions regarding what process to use. The core message here is that the parcels I own, except for the previously noted “core identity parcels”, are available to anyone who might like to use them creatively.

Sudane................

I don't have that many parcels, but I'm in the same position -one parcel that's going to be my "forever home" (at least in the cds) and a few others that are for projects or I got "just in case".

I love your idea, especially about having two designations (anything goes, preservation). I'm wondering about preservation parcels -maybe instead of transferring ownership of them out-right they could be offered as sublets instead? I'd suggest keeping sublet terms simple, of course, "put down what you want, but what came with the parcel stays on the parcel".

---
"I could talk talk talk, talk myself to death
But I believe I would only waste my breath" -Roxy Music "Remake, remodel"
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

Han Held wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:08 am

I love your idea, especially about having two designations (anything goes, preservation). I'm wondering about preservation parcels -maybe instead of transferring ownership of them out-right they could be offered as sublets instead? I'd suggest keeping sublet terms simple, of course, "put down what you want, but what came with the parcel stays on the parcel".

That's an interesting thought... subletting. It would depend then on who owns what... parcel and tierbox. Taking one of my parcels as an example, if I sublet and retained my name on the tierbox, I think that would drive me crazy getting the alert messages that tier was due. So I think that the tierbox would need to pass to the subletter. But I guess the parcel ownership could stay as mine, which would block the subletter from removing stuff. So that's interesting.

But it would play havoc with our system of citizenship, and prevent the subletter, by current rules, from being a citizen if this was the only parcel they had.

Sudane....................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lilith Ivory »

But it would play havoc with our system of citizenship, and prevent the subletter, by current rules, from being a citizen if this was the only parcel they had.

We would need to make it a rule/law that a parcel that needs to be preserved can not be the only parcel one has. I think it won´t be a problem for a person that wants to preserve one of our historic sites to own a little other parcel too.

Tan and me are preserving the Monastery and for a long time we had the Red Forest parcel too. And I have to admit that especially the Red Forest parcel came in handy to support a Fachwerk with it´s spare prims :)
I think it all depends on how trustworthy the citizen is who holds such a parcel - but I am aware of the fact that it is impossible to write a law saying this

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett

Return to “General Discussion”