My apologies for the brief interruption of forum access...

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

My apologies for the brief interruption of forum access...

Post by Gwyneth Llewelyn »

Hello fellow citizens,

Yesterday (or, well, some hours ago), some of you might have tried to log in to the forums, and got an error message instead, possibly even saying that there were 'database problems'. Sorry about that.

As it turns out, there was a rogue service on my machine that was eating up disk space like crazy — and it was rather tough to figure out what was going on! I have several terabytes of disk space, so I thought that things could wait a few more days until I got enough time to investigate the issue further... but this application was really gobbling up space by the Gigabytes, like there was no tomorrow, and not even the largest disk in the world could hold out much longer against this primeval voracity!

Eventually, the server ran out of disk space — and you know what computers do when that happens: they stop working. So, well, I really couldn't postpone fixing things, and that meant stopping most services (one by one), figure out which one of them was misbehaving, eliminating the culprit, freeing up some disk space, and starting everything again.

I'm aware that this could have been avoided much earlier and I apologise for all the downtime. If I only were a little less busy, I'd have fixed it long agp, but, alas, Murphy's Law interfered with my schedule...

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

PGP Fingerprint: CE8A 6006 B611 850F 1275 72BA D93E AA3D C4B3 E1CB

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: My apologies for the brief interruption of forum access...

Oh... a side-effect of all of the above was that I noticed that the forum badge or logo had reverted to its 'original' form. This happens every time the forums get upgraded, but I hadn't noticed it until today (it's been like that for months, I guess). I've promptly returned it to the CDS logo (both with a normal and a Retina version :-) ).

Yay for the Wayback Machine to show me how it has been done in the past! (I always forget how to change the logo properly)

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Oh... a side-effect of all of the above was that I noticed that the forum badge or logo had reverted to its 'original' form. This happens every time the forums get upgraded, but I hadn't noticed it until today (it's been like that for months, I guess). I've promptly returned it to the CDS logo (both with a normal and a Retina version :-) ).

Yay for the Wayback Machine to show me how it has been done in the past! (I always forget how to change the logo properly)

Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lilith Ivory »

Thank you Gwyn :)

... I hear you are busy working on bots at the moment ... perhaps you could consider sending some of them over to make them run for an office in the upcoming election? ;-)

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett
Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Hah! I could certainly release a lot of bots and let them vote and even get elected :mrgreen:

Voter fraud! In the CDS elections! The horror! :shock:

I'm afraid that you'll have to wait a bit for that to happen, Lilith... they're not advanced enough for even that :)

Although I am looking into a cool chatbot software designed by Google (mostly free)... it's really very, very cleverly done... and it even allows using voice (not only text chat) for added 'realism' (for the lack of a better word...). Stay tuned... who knows, I might have some fun with that... :wink:

Last edited by Gwyneth Llewelyn on Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Ugh, typo — replaced ! with 1 by mistake! Newbie mistake!

Delia Lake
Dean of the SC
Dean of the SC

Post by Delia Lake »

Thanks for letting us know, Gwyn. Sorry for all the computer trouble you had.

Return to “General Discussion”