Interesting Podcast

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Interesting Podcast

Post by Lilith Ivory »

Hi folks

Annie from the Wall Street Journal just shared a link to the first part of her interesting podcast series about Second Life with me. Even if her interview with me about CDS didn´t make it into the podcast it is still very interesting to listen to.

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Interesting Podcast

Post by Sudane Erato »

Lil, this is really interesting. Sadly, the 'copy link" button doesn't work, at least for me. Could you post the URL so we could distribute this beyond linking this forum page?

Sudane................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

Found it on the WSJ site, with transcript!

https://www.wsj.com/podcasts/the-journa ... os2&page=1

Sudane...............

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Jerry McNally
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Jerry McNally »

That was great, full of enthusiasm for Eden, before the Fall. Looking forward to part 2. I liked the typo in the transcript too—

"Announcer: Metaverse is the next aversion of the internet."

Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

That is a great typo! :lol:

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Just listening to the podcast now - very interesting, but a shame that our Lilith Ivory's piece isn't there.

Jerry McNally
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Jerry McNally »

How to build a metaverse part 2 is out - Avatars Behaving Badly, about griefers and governance in the early days.

Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

If you hadn't added that explanation, Jerry, I might have thought that "Avatars Behaving Badly" was the one that included our Lilith! :lol:

*runs*

Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lilith Ivory »

*laughs @ Sylvia
I was not even there in the early years - and I never behave badly :)

Thanks for posting the second link Jerry

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

I just listened to the Part 2 (thx for the link Jerry!).

They talk about the beginnings... the tales are mostly about conditions in 2003, and the wars on Jessi. But omg... the "old days" were such hard times with the griefers; the podcast hardly hints at the stress the griefers caused. The podcast suggests that the griefers forced LL to come to terms with the fact that violence was going to happen here... that it would cause loss of residenets and therefore of their revenue... and that therefore they came up with new rules and turned the corner. But... it took 15 YEARS for this to happen! The griefers continued to cause significant disruption of life in SL until relatively recently, and even in the last year I can point to griefer events in New England which required that we drop everything and engage with their droppings and the LL support staff to rid ourselves of them.

This is a stunningly wonderful series on SL, (which I will reccommend to everyone I know). But do keep in mind that the utterly engaging story they tell is vastly simplified and at least so far, very sugar coated.

Sudane.................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Jerry McNally
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Jerry McNally »

Just to keep everyone up-to-date.

How to build a metaverse, Part 3: Prime Time – WSJ Podcasts
By 2007, Second Life seemed on track for a commercial breakthrough. And then, an opportunity came along to get in front of a truly mainstream audience: a starring role on one of TV’s biggest shows. In part 3 of our series: Second Life’s ascension to prime time, and the hurdles that threw its success into question.

Meanwhile:

It's lonely in the metaverse: DappRadar data suggests Decentraland has 38 ‘daily active’ users in $1.3B ecosystem – CoinDesk
Data from DappRadar suggests metaverse platforms Decentraland and The Sandbox each have fewer than 1,000 "daily active" users, despite $1 billion valuations. The platforms say these numbers don’t tell the full story.

Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

Part 4 (the final episode) is out: Why Build a World?

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

I just listened to part 4. Sadly, it doesn't include Lil.

But what an incredible series, with part 4 being the perfect "point of it all". Yes, SL may not be for everyone. But SL is really a true expansion, another parallel place, a place of experiences which cannot be had in RL, a place where opportunities for expression, for relationships, for healing... that are unavailable in RL can happen. The host of the podcast really gets it, really tells the story beautifully.

Well worth listening to, and getting others to listen to who may not understand what SL "is good for". This explains, better than anything I've heard.

Sudane.................

*** Confirmed Grump ***

Return to “General Discussion”