Remembering Soro

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Callipygian
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Remembering Soro

Post by Callipygian »

For those who may not read further down the list of Forums, Tor has announced that Soro passed away in August. You can read his post and see the letter Tor received here: https://forums.slcds.info/viewtopic.php?t=10081

Soro could be many things - witty, exasperating, amusing, thoughtful, pedantic, eloquent ... the list is long. He was for CDS though, a citizen for many years, who served the community long and well.

I thought I'd start this thread in the general discussion so that anyone wanting to add a memory of Soro can do so.

Cali

People often say that, in a democracy, decisions are made by a majority of the people. Of course, that is not true. Decisions are made by a majority of those who make themselves heard and who vote -- a very different thing.

Walter H. Judd
Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Remembering Soro

Post by Lilith Ivory »

I have met Soro first during the merger with Al Andalusia and he has always been a good friend for me since then. Whenever I think about Soro I can smell the salty water of the sea. As long as his health allowed it he and his former SL partner Shep liked to host gatherings with friends at Soro’s houseboat in LA, and even after he got serious health issues it was important for him to fulfill his duties as a member of the Scientific Council.

If you like please visit the memorial Tor built for Soro at the harbor of LA and light a candle for Soro the Sailor :)
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/L ... /57/226/24

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett
Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

I didn't know Soro well at all, but early in my days as a CDS citizen, we had a few late night chats. They were mostly about our shared RL occupation, but also a bit about sailing (which I know nothing about, but he certainly did!). Coincidentally, I was digging through some old photos in my inventory the other day, and came across the portrait I did for him for our Citizen's Wall in the Rathaus. I'm glad I held on to it.

He was very much a fixture in CDS, and will be missed. Fair winds, Soro!

Emilia Avindar
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Post by Emilia Avindar »

I am stunned by this news. As the last former Mrs. Dagostino, the book closed in the months after his last disappearance, which I could tell was due to his loss of ability, and not to any loss of enthusiasm, which he continued to communicate by email into the Spring. Now, the Sun has set on September, and on Soro. Sadly, i wave into the sun, thankful for having known him.

Chancellor, 32nd Term, December 2019 - May 2020.
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

I didn't get to know Soro very well over the years, as it seems our paths rarely crossed, but he was an important part of our CDS life and of course, will be missed by his best friends and the community at large. Thank you to Tor for the beautiful tribute to Soro.

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Han Held »

I didn't know him either but at the same time I felt he was a solid presence here and there's no question he was a CDS institution in and of himself. He and I had a few very pleasant conversations when I first joined the CDS and although we were not close I always had the feeling that if there was something up and he was needed it would be no problem to go to him.

I'm very saddened that he's no longer with us but I'm happy for the impact he made in our lives and on the CDS

---
"I could talk talk talk, talk myself to death
But I believe I would only waste my breath" -Roxy Music "Remake, remodel"
Agatha Macbeth
Casual contributor
Casual contributor

Post by Agatha Macbeth »

Sorry to hear...

Arria Perreault
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Arria Perreault »

Sad news. I served with Soro in the Scientific Council. He was a thoughtful and wise man. May he rest in peace.

Return to “General Discussion”