Q&A in the Gov Hours session 19 Feb 2023

Please post your questions and answers here.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Moon Adamant
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Q&A in the Gov Hours session 19 Feb 2023

Post by Moon Adamant »

Hello everyone,
This is a summary of the Gov Hours held last 19 Feb 2023.
The procedure is that only questions from the public, and the replies by CDS officers from the three branches of Gov'ment are transcribed.
If possible, a more concise answer will be transcribed, but sometimes answers are given in a flowing conversation (conversation detours removed!), so the transcript will reflect that.

Answering questions: Moon Adamant and Rosie Gray (Executive Branch); Lilith Ivory and Delia Lake (SC); Gwyneth Llewelyn (RA)

Question: nobody has any questions? well, I have one — what are these houses here? and, following
Question: Will the remaining two E parcels have similar structures on them?
[Editor's note: Here meaning the E.02 parcel at Colonia Nova (CN), where the Gov Hours was held, and also the neighbouring E.01]

[13:12] Moon Adamant: ok, so the Exec branch has jurisdiction on the land of the CDS
[13:12] Moon Adamant: we have looked on the data for the last three years or parcel occupancy
[13:12] Moon Adamant: and we found that these 4 parcels on this road have had very low occupation
[13:13] Moon Adamant: considering also that the covenants for CN changed and that the buildings here belonged to the old Roman theme
[13:14] Moon Adamant: we decided to redo the parcels
[13:14] Moon Adamant: this has been presented publicly at the Artisan Guild
[13:14] Moon Adamant: and also at the CDS forums, just a sec for the link
[13:15] Moon Adamant: viewtopic.php?t=10237
[13:15] Moon Adamant: that link is the presentation of the data analysis and plan for sim improvement
[13:15] Moon Adamant: in the following discussion,the matter showed up of why not just expand Stella Marina up
[13:16] Moon Adamant: the alternative is to establish a contrast between more upscale residences at the hill top and the fishing village below, which was the rationale for the Stella Marina development
[13:17] Moon Adamant: so these houses here are not final, but they are a visualization for that concept to aid the discussion
[13:17] Moon Adamant: So, we don't know yet what the 4 buildings will look like

Question: ok, along that line, is there a plan or some thought to providing more "entry level" or retirment villas... ^^
[13:26] Moon Adamant: that plan considers the creation of three more parcels by the river where at the moment there's unrented prim parcels
[13:26] Moon Adamant: those parcels will be FV parcels, so the Stella Marina type
[13:26] Moon Adamant: with smallish areas (much smaller than this parcel)
[13:27] Moon Adamant: we are also devolving one parcel in the centre to the Commons, but somewhat bigger
[13:29] Moon Adamant: for CN: atm, that is being planned. We are starting to look at the data for the other sims and maybe it will arise from that data the necessity/opportunity to create more small parcels, but we haven't got there yet

Following the previous question: which one [parcel] is that, Moon?
[13:29] Moon Adamant: the PIO Office will change location, freeing its parcel (C.13)

Question: Do we have a process for existing landowners to 'trade up' to different parcels by applying the remaining tier credit on the parcel they'd like to release towards the tier cost for the new parcel?
[13:30] Moon Adamant: uh, that I am going to leave for the EMs to answer lol
[13:30] Lilith Ivory: yes we can do that
[13:30] Moon Adamant: (i have never done that myself)
[13:30] Rosie Gray: you just have to ask an EM to handle it for you

Question: I do have a nitty-gritty question that might be me-specific about my parcel in CN? So, I've had a parcel adjacent to the Praetorium for... well, close to forever... and I eneded up putting up the structure that is there today. I know that in the time since that structure was put up, most of the parcels in CN seem to have their structures tied to the public land so that they are not consuming prims... Within the walls, but I may be mistaken? Anyways, I wasn't sure if a) my parcel was still compliant with the revised covenantst and b) if it would be considered for a similar allocation
[13:36] Moon Adamant: ok, that is a process that is undergoing atm
[13:37] Rosie Gray: we would need to make a build for the parcel
[13:37] Rosie Gray: but you aren't non-compliant because you own that parcel
[13:38] Moon Adamant: exactly
[13:38] Rosie Gray: so, if you want a building there that is anchored, you can ask Madame Chancellor
[13:38] Moon Adamant: while you are occupying the place, we have a moratory
[13:38] Rosie Gray: but otherwise, you are good as you are ㋡
[13:39] Moon Adamant: but Ok, we'll see later about anchoring the house -- please remind me or an EM
[13:41] Moon Adamant: btw everyone, for land issues: we have panels with the login status of Chacellor and EMs at the Rathaus in NFS and here [in CN] at the PIO office
[13:42] Moon Adamant: the Rathaus also has a panel for the RA members ㋡

Question: Anyway, my question was about.... excessive scripts. You know, these days, the most laggy thing on the sims are the scripts — and the avatars, these days, are running far too many (but we cannot do anything about those, so we just need to fix *ours*). Some of those are ancient ones and incredibly laggy; but their current owners are possibly not even aware of that. Can we do something about that?
[13:44] Moon Adamant: oh what a good question
[13:44] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Perhaps just start with listing the worse culprits? and kindly asking people to review if they really NEED them?
[13:45] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Or at least replace them with modern versions...
[13:45] Gwyneth Llewelyn: (for instance, is the old teleporter script still on the NFS School? If so, it should be replaced IMMEDIATELY)
[13:46] Moon Adamant: ok, i don't know if that could be done. For sure we can get a list of the top scripts for each sim
[13:47] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Do you think it would be an intrusion in people's privacy if we alerted them to this?
[13:47] Moon Adamant: but i don't know how to proceed after and would need to ask SC and RA
[13:47] Gwyneth Llewelyn: That's fair!
[13:47] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Or, alas, we could start with scripts in public land.
[13:47] Delia Lake: I'm sure most people aren't even aware of the scripts they use nor the relationship between old scripts and region lag. probably should write a Forum post about tha
[13:48] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Agreed :)
[13:48] Lilith Ivory: also we should reduce the amount of dance machines on public land as they are high on scripts
[13:49] Moon Adamant: i think possibly we need some kind of community effort here, so yes about doing a forum post on the matter
[13:49] Moon Adamant: for awareness first of all
[13:49] Lilith Ivory: just be aware that only a very few citizens read the forum or know about it :)
[13:49] Moon Adamant: then, we the Exec for sure can look into the public land
[13:49] Gwyneth Llewelyn: You see, guys, in the Olden Days the poor sims had to do a LOT of things — from loading textures to returning assets and who knows what else. Nowadays, sims do essentially two things: keeping track of objects (i.e. where they are and how fast they're moving) AND run scripts. Nothing more! Reduce the time spent on scripts, and everything runs faster, without changing anything (no, not even textures..)
[13:49] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Lil: especially the old ones
[13:50] Gwyneth Llewelyn: also hmm
[13:50] Delia Lake: true, Lilith but then we would be able to give out a link for information
[13:50] Rosie Gray: well, EMs can look at the Top Scripts (and Top Colliders) and sort them in various ways
[13:50] Gwyneth Llewelyn: You CAN have those dancing machines rezzed
[13:50] Gwyneth Llewelyn: just stop their scripts inside if they're not being used :)
[13:50] Rosie Gray: like by time, and by Memory
[13:50] Rosie Gray: user, etc.
[13:51] Gwyneth Llewelyn: exactly, Rosie — memory, in particular, is scary.... in NFS at least
[13:53] Moon Adamant: and we can also try and raise awereness in our PR
[13:54] Lilith Ivory: I would like the chancellor to send out an inworld notecard too
[13:54] Moon Adamant: ok, but i need help writing it ㋡
[13:55] Gwyneth Llewelyn: (note: the season-changing scripts CAN remain inside their objects, just not running — after all, they just need to be active twice per year, not 'all the time')
[13:55] Rosie Gray: it's not the seasonal changing scripts that are using the most memory
[13:55] Rosie Gray: or even much at all
[13:56] Gwyneth Llewelyn *nods* @ Rosie — I was just giving a wild example
[13:56] Gwyneth Llewelyn: I'm not quite sure, but the last time I've checked it was the stray dance balls I think
[13:56] Rosie Gray: those tend to need touching to wake them up
[13:56] Rosie Gray: it's not as though they listen all the time ㋡
[13:58] Rosie Gray: pets use a lot
[13:58] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Yesterday I came across an old script to communicate things across two objects which had so many open listens on public chat that my head was spinning...
[13:58] Lilith Ivory: we have to find a balance so not to drive citizens away
[13:59] Moon Adamant: maybe the notecard should explain how to stop scripts (and set them running again)
[13:59] Lilith Ivory: yes and what are the high script items
[13:59] Rosie Gray: good idea
[13:59] Moon Adamant: ok good idea
[13:59] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Well, I'm not here trying to play the 'bad cop' role and somehow impose draconian measures. Just, well, every now and then, take a look at a script and see: how old is it? Does it still use ancient, deprecated, and most especially, LAGGY things? Can we replace it? Or at least stop it until it gets actively used again.... and so forth
[14:00] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Moon: right, that would be a good start
[14:00] Rosie Gray: right!
[14:00] Rosie Gray: oh... and check that scripts are running as 'mono'
[14:00] Rosie Gray: that makes a difference too
[14:00] Moon Adamant: that too
[14:00] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Also hmm... simple things really... if you want to give away notecards or gifts or something, you don't NEED a script at all, just set its contents for sale for L$0
[14:01] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Rosie: exactly, that makes a HUGE difference!! (Mono can be as 150x faster as the old system in some cases)
[14:01] Rosie Gray: wow I didn't know it made that much difference!
[14:01] Gwyneth Llewelyn: That was an extreme case
[14:02] Gwyneth Llewelyn: But imagine you hit on exactly that case :) and have 50 scripts running the same code hehe
[14:02] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Oh, another stupid issue (blame it on LL), which I have done wrongly for *years*...
[14:03] Gwyneth Llewelyn: If you have to copy & paste the contents of a script to several different objects,
[14:03] Gwyneth Llewelyn: NEVER create a 'new script' in each object, and THEN do the copy & paste
[14:03] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Instead,
[14:03] Gwyneth Llewelyn: create the script in your inventory first,
[14:03] Gwyneth Llewelyn: and then copy the exact script to all the objects you wish
[14:03] Rosie Gray: oh does that make a difference?
[14:04] Gwyneth Llewelyn: (not forgetting to set them running as Mono — Firestorm does it by default, the SL Viewer doesn't)
[14:04] Gwyneth Llewelyn: Aye... it's complicated, Rosie, but it makes a whole mountain range of a difference! (I'd be glad to explain it elsewhere hehe)

Question: will this chat transcript be posted?
[14:05] Moon Adamant: no: just the questions (anonymized) and the answers by CDS officers

Question:I was wandering through the fishing village here today and got spammed twice by media. So my question is if the chancellor plans to inform the citizens about how to restrict media to a parcel
[14:06] Moon Adamant: the chancellor can ㋡
[14:06] Lilith Ivory: please :)
[14:06] Gwyneth Llewelyn: the Chancellor MUST!
[14:06] Moon Adamant: we can do it the same way as scripts
[14:06] Moon Adamant: I need help too for that notecard ㋡
[14:07] Rosie Gray: perhaps that should be a requirement of the EMs too, when resetting land for sale that setting should be used too.
[14:07] Lilith Ivory: its a new feature so most might not know about it

Eudaimonia now!

Return to “Questions & Answers about the CDS”