Photos for CDS on SL20B

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Sandy Burgess
Lurker
Lurker

Photos for CDS on SL20B

Post by Sandy Burgess »

Dear fellow citizens,
we (as the CDS) are applying for the SL20B. As part of our exhibition we want to present the CDS in a slide show. For that we need a selection of photos that represent our beautiful nation.

Please hand in photos that show our community or our sims and that you would like us to show on that venue. You can send your photos to me Sandy Burgess (Photos need to be full perm)

Sandy

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Photos for CDS on SL20B

Post by Sudane Erato »

Sandy, a number of us have our best images on Flickr... mine is https://www.flickr.com/photos/56954099@N04/. While not everything there is CDS, probably most of the more recent are, and you're totally welcome to use anything.

Sudane..................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Mizou Vavoom
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Mizou Vavoom »

'Egidius, waer bestu bleven, mi lanct na di, gheselle mijn. Du coors die doot, du liets mi tleven. Dat was gheselscap, goet ende fijn.'
Gruuthuuse-handschrift -circa 1400
Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lilith Ivory »

Hi Sandy, my flikr is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lilith-ivory/

And please, ask the chancelor or treasurrer for a refund as there is no need you have to pay for all those uploads yourself!
I am sure Moon and Sudane agree with me on this :)

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett
Moon Adamant
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Moon Adamant »

Hi Sandy,

Here's my Flickr too, for the record.
I am still not sure if you can see all of it... it is clocking at 130 pics, and most are CDS. In any case, just tell me if you'd like any of those, besides the Locus Amoenus Means the Pleasant Place (which you have already).
And yes, we can refund your uploads, of course!

Eudaimonia now!
Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Gwyneth Llewelyn »

You're also welcome to grab anything from my Flickr account. All images are allegedly CC by 2.0 (or a later version if you prefer) — if some of them aren't, it was just by mistake — let me know and I'll correct it :) Granted, those pertaining to the CDS are very likely posted on the Official CDS Flickr Group as well, but there might be exceptions, predating the creation of that Flickr group...

I might have the odd ancient picture either on my Mac or on the SL inventory — I'll have to fish then out and see if anything there is worth publishing; if so, I'll send them gladly to you!

I have also stored somewhere some of the ancient versions of the CDS homepage; one is just pure static files and done by Ulrika (technically copyrighted to her), and another, slightly more recent, requires an obsolete software + database to run. However, I'm pretty sure that all the images are on file, not on the database, so I might be able to get a few old ones that way. I just need to open that ancient backup and hope that it still works :)

There are a few old pictures on the Second Life History Wikia. Some are low-rez, and you might get them from elsewhere (namely, Flickr). The main advantage of the pictures there is that they have captions that are Wikipedia-style, meaning that they explain what's in them (e.g., instead of "me and a friend chatting on the Marktplatz" it says "The Chancellor (right) talks with the (then) Dean of the Scientific Council (left). Oct. 2007" — which is a far better description of what is actually being depicted!). Note that there are separate entries on that Wikia (btw, now rebranded as fandom.com) for Neualtenburg and Neufreistadt, each having its own pictures as well.

Last but not least, one of my favourite sources for ancient CDS pictures is Sleazy Writer's CDS Flickr stream. But there are older ones!

The little-recorded 'The Caledon-Neualtenburg War for RFL 2007', for instance, also has its own Flickr stream: https://www.flickr.com/photos/history_a ... 2127951886 Most of the volunteer defending forces of Neualtenburg were lead by Kendra Bancroft (I still have one of her military uniforms in my inventory :-) ). Actually, you get lots of interesting old pictures just searching for 'Neualtenburg' on Flickr!

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

PGP Fingerprint: CE8A 6006 B611 850F 1275 72BA D93E AA3D C4B3 E1CB

Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lilith Ivory »

Oh my, I love those old pictures of the Neualtenburg war lol.
But sadly Sleazy's pictures seem to have the wrong link

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett
Han Held
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Han Held »

Lilith Ivory wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:44 am

Oh my, I love those old pictures of the Neualtenburg war lol.
But sadly Sleazy's pictures seem to have the wrong link

It's the right link ...just with a little extra! :lol: Since she probably can't edit her post now, let me do the honors:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/17007233@ ... 3009487643

I have photos on my flickr, but anything I have has already been shared to the group, probably. Still -y'all have my permission to grab any of my CDS photos and use them in SL20B.

I'm not sure what the proper term for it is, but I have a collection of other people's flickr photos of old CDS. Obviously you can't use them without the original photographers' permission but at least it's a start! (you might be able to do something with the gallery and MOAP? idk).

"Ancient Neufreistadt" Gallery:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/61831737@ ... 997035946/

---
"I could talk talk talk, talk myself to death
But I believe I would only waste my breath" -Roxy Music "Remake, remodel"
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

Han, your Ancient Neufreistadt Gallery is fantastic!

I wonder if there's a way to collect ALL the old CDS pictures, from all sources, and have them accessible some way. This would such an incredible resource.

Sudane.........................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Callipygian
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Callipygian »

I have the entries from a photo contest from some years back still in a folder I believe - the entrants all gave permission then for use of the images.

A number of my cds images are in the MOCA inventory I believe, and the calendars and octoberfest book I did is in Archie iirc.

I'll connect with you inworld once I see what I have.

Calli

People often say that, in a democracy, decisions are made by a majority of the people. Of course, that is not true. Decisions are made by a majority of those who make themselves heard and who vote -- a very different thing.

Walter H. Judd

Return to “General Discussion”