Alpine Meadows - public/private land ratio and proposals

Forum to discuss and coordinate the expansion of the CDS and the redevelopment of existing territories.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Justice Soothsayer
Pundit
Pundit

Post by Justice Soothsayer »

I vaguely remember hearing something about casting moneychangers out of the temple - maybe this will be someone's platform at the next elections. :D

But for myself, I rather enjoyed making my "temple offering" to pay my CN fees this month. Many thanks to Sudane for a great system that works well and simplifies payments, as well as being cause for me to explore a part of the sim that I had not seen.

Rose Springvale
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rose Springvale »

My point was simply why *I*would rather not have THE public space in the new sim be a monastery... I gave one reason i am uncomfortable with it, reasons i'd rather have something else.

In this thread, it seems appropriate to get back to the real issue... which was the percentage of public/private space, and what the public space should be. I don't want a monastery. Others do.

In the meantime.. the payment boxes are fabulous Sudane.

Arria Perreault
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Arria Perreault »

Yes, others do! This is a fact. We are a community and the sim is a community's project. I repeat that many monasteries don't have any religious community anymore and are used for other purposes. So I will not design a nun's dress. :wink: It will be an old monastery used for other purposes. It will be a monastery in an architectural point of view. We can take the example of the small temple of Artemis in CN. As far I know, there is no cult, no celebration and now it is for a very civilian usage: pay our taxes.

About the ratio, I have propose that we can have a average ratio for all sims and put some public space to private in other sims (NFS for example). I think that we have to see the problem at the level of the whole CDS. What about a Bill public/private ratio?

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

[quote="Arria Perreault":27mhborv] We can take the example of the small temple of Artemis in CN. As far I know, there is no cult, no celebration and now it is for a very civilian usage: pay our taxes. [/quote:27mhborv]
Please! The temple of Minerva/Athena is where the payment boxes are! The temple of Diana/Artemis in the opposite quadrant of the city is *quite* a different place! :)

Sudane..............................

Arria Perreault
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

It's a shame. I am neighbour of this temple :wink:

Rose Springvale
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rose Springvale »

Aria...
I understand your proposal :) I just prefer something else. I guess there will need to be a decision somewhere along the way... but i'll point out that the lodge idea WAS part of the proposal that was voted on. If that matters to anyone.

and again... i 'm NOT opposed to there being a Monastery in the sim, in fact i think it would be great on one of the larger PRIVATE lots. Maybe your group can get together that way?

I think much of the public space in this sim has already been decided by the mere fact of connecting the two sims. I guess we'll have to see how it goes in committee.

Arria Perreault
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

[quote="Rose Springvale":3lsemow7]there will need to be a decision somewhere along the way... [/quote:3lsemow7]

Rose,

I agree on that point. I would like to add that it was totally clear to me, when I have participated to the contest for the new sim, that our proposals give directions. That means that they would not be realized as proposed until the last detail. This is the role of the Guild to see how the proposal can be realized. It can happen that the Guild make some changes, for good reasons. After the Guild, the RA can also ask for changes. The monastery was not in the proposal, this is right. But it is not surprising to have one on an alpine landscape, because monks were looking for isolated or not too crowded places. I think that we will face the same situation with the landscape. In my point of view, this is the role of the Guild to evaluate this question. It happen often that, during the developpment of a project, some elements change. Because we are working in team and try to improve things. Participating to the debates of the Guild, I think that we really try to do the best together.

If I consider that a majority of people are against the project of the Monastery, I would abandon it immediately. I don't see it as a personal project and I don't intent to work on it alone. But until now, I have met enthousiasm with it. So I really try to developp it.

It would maybe be easier to realize it as a private project. But this building will be used for public purpose. I am open on one point: public does not mean "entirely paid by CDS". We have to see how we can finance this project (purchase of the plot and fees). So this building can be partly public and partly private. A participation of the CDS would nevertheless avoid that it is one day transformed in a night club. :wink: (this is an example). I mean: if we build the Monastery, it must stay a constant piece of the sim like the theater in CN. So we have to find a financing and this is a good test. It is very easy to agree with a project when it's free...

A possible model would be: 2 plots

- one for the building
- one for the supplementary prims (and physically part of the nice landscape somewhere in the sim)

One of them is paid on a private basis, the other one on a public basis. I hope that we can solve this with groups.

I would like to add one point. Until now we have focused on this monastery in the debates about the sim. But it will have other houses and other elements (paths, banks, vegetation, ...) on the sim. We have to make also reflections about them. In one word: go further.

NB: I will try to make some reflections about the monastery (group, goals, ...) and I will open soon a new topic in this forum.

Desmond Shang
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Desmond Shang »

*Desmond thinks monasteries have lots of possibility...*

[url:1inmaqt5]http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_pictures/ ... ail091.jpg[/url:1inmaqt5]

Will it have a graaaail? grin

Jon Seattle
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Jon Seattle »

It important to separate out two questions that I think are being discussed:

1. Should the Monastery be public or run by an NGO?
2. Should the new sim design accommodate the project in a natural and pleasing way, and should the Guild get involved in the Monastery's construction?

I have an opinion on the first question (NGO) but it is only the second question that can be considered by the Guild.

There is a good reason for the Monastery project. Its the same reason many cathedrals were built by free cities in europe. The project is an expression of community spirit and human ability and art. It does not matter if you are religious or not. It is a way a community has of lifting its eyes beyond its narrow commercial concerns and the pursuit of power, towards something greater. It also makes the new space interesting and not just yet another SL residential park.

One way to handle this is to ignore it. We could tell the Monastery group that they can buy a ordinary large plot (but must not teraform) and as long as what they build fits within covenants, it will be allowed to exist. Under this scenario the Guild would not get involved.

I very much hope the Guild will reject this option and get involved. We are a voluntary organization of artisans, after all, and the expression of community sprit and looking upwards to the best of human ability is what we should be about. It will likely make the CDS a better and more interesting place.

Return to “Sim and City Planning”