Alpine Meadows: ground texture examples (grass etc.)

Forum to discuss and coordinate the expansion of the CDS and the redevelopment of existing territories.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Sleazy_Writer
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Alpine Meadows: ground texture examples (grass etc.)

Post by Sleazy_Writer »

A thread about the ground-textures for our 3rd sim.

I've got some some good news and some bad news.
The good news is that one very nice ground-texture of grass with daisies, the first picture from this post, is freely available, and it looks very good.
With the possible exception of the 2nd picture from this post, the daisy grass is the most suitable texture for Alpine Meadows, that I've seen around.
The bad news is that it's freely available at Lilith Heart's gardening center, so over time hundreds of these will be used on sims.

My first idea was to save it to disk and edit it to add some dandelion like yellow dots, but since it's 'no-transfer', that's not possible.
What about contacting the creator of the texture, Dolly Heart, to ask her to sell a modifiable version?

Moon,
I tried the Genetica texture renderer from Spiral Graphics that you recommened. It's a really nice application, but there wasn't a really grassy, suitable texture among the royalty-free textures. All of them have some drawbacks and weren't really meadow like. So to make one we probably need to look at other texture collections, or maybe someone has the full version of Genetica (for full customization of the textures).

--Sleazy.

DollysDaisyGrassFreeBut(c)atHeartGardeningCentre.jpg
DollysDaisyGrassFreeBut(c)atHeartGardeningCentre.jpg (49.83 KiB) Viewed 816 times
MeadowGroundTextureInStarfruitSim(c).jpg
MeadowGroundTextureInStarfruitSim(c).jpg (53.84 KiB) Viewed 816 times
Trying to make this mainland parcel part of the CDS: http://slurl.com/secondlife/Tethys/64/158/72/
Salzie Sachertorte
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Re: Alpine Meadows: ground texture examples (grass etc.)

Post by Salzie Sachertorte »

Sleazy,

That's a bit hard to see, could you take a picture of an avator standing on meadow of it, perhaps with some trees, so we can see it in context? Perhaps in your soon-to-be-franchulated plot? :D

Sleazy_Writer
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sleazy_Writer »

Thinking about it, the Dollie Heart texture is the best (top). The other one looks like a flattened photograph with the camera close by. The number of daisies is a bit much, so editing it would be nice.

DolliesDaisyGrass-CoutureIsle.jpg
DolliesDaisyGrass-CoutureIsle.jpg (46.73 KiB) Viewed 786 times
MeadowGrassBySomeESCGuy.jpg
MeadowGrassBySomeESCGuy.jpg (52.27 KiB) Viewed 786 times
Trying to make this mainland parcel part of the CDS: http://slurl.com/secondlife/Tethys/64/158/72/
Moon Adamant
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Moon Adamant »

Hi!

Taking into account what Sleazy commented about having the same texture ground texture as a zillion other sims, i tried my hand at creating a ground texture with flowers... this can be later adapted easily to be also just the grass, mix stone in it, etc.

Here go the results:

This first is for comparison... it's just the NW Coastal Grass applied on the two lower levels:

Now i uploaded my first texture on the second level, keeping NW Coastal as a base

I gathered that my grass was showing too much contrast. I had prepared two versions: the unblurred one of last pic (which looks better in pshop) and a blurred one, which looks BAD in pshop but results much better when applied.

I also made the flowers smaller... and not sure even if i won't make them smaller in the end... but atm, the texture also looks good on a slope:

and from afar:

Eudaimonia now!
Moon Adamant
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Moon Adamant »

I also made an experiment for earthen paths... I don't like this earth much, i think it will look better with loam proper...

But server was having issues uploading textures, so this is the best preview so far:

Eudaimonia now!

Return to “Sim and City Planning”