Proposal for a website organisation refresh

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Re: Proposal for a website organisation refresh

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

I really like your sample Governance page, Jerry! That's very clean and easy to read.

A community that has been in existence as long as CDS has will have a ton of data to store and share, and it can all be pretty overwhelming for a new resident or potential visitor upon first glance. I'm happy to see these suggestions on ways to organize and present all that history and information in a format friendly to newcomers. :D

Happy New Year to you, too, and to everyone else as well!

Tor Karlsvalt
Chancellor
Chancellor

Post by Tor Karlsvalt »

I agree Jerry, we are so immersed in CDS tradition and rules that we know were things are. But I agree too with Sudane we need to have and easy way to find financial reports and even a link to our forums. The financial reports seem buried.

Finding land for sale needs to be right up front too. Perhaps we could have a column for ads. That would be a good place to have a link to available land. Just throwing that out there. The add column could also include posters for events. Just an idea.

Tor

Citizen
Jerry McNally
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Jerry McNally »

Ok I've swapped out that top-level menu with a slimmer one that includes links to the new Governance and Events pages, as well as a link to the Forum. I'd be interested in any feedback but please note that I've not removed or deleted anything! All the pages and all the links are all still there, and everything can be set back, though hopefully you'll agree that it looks a little tidier now. And I've not done anything with the Land area yet, I'll share some drafts for you to look at next.

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

I like it Jerry, very easy to navigate. Perhaps the history link should go to your history pages that you've made, instead of to that very outdated wiki page.

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Jerry McNally
Passionate Protagonist
Passionate Protagonist

Post by Jerry McNally »

Thanks. I'd love to get Inara Pey from modemworld.me to take some fresh pictures of the region for us, I think the ones she takes are great. Does anyone know how we could make that happen?

Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

I believe that Inara sells her photos in art galleries, so it would quite possibly involve a fee (assuming she has time for such a project).

My suggestion would be to put out a call to CDS citizens to take photos of their favorite locations as a fun contest, with the winning photos being posted on the site. You could even do this on a regular basis and give the web page a fresh look now and then with new photos. An easy way to handle submissions would be to just have people post them in the CDS Flickr group https://www.flickr.com/groups/_cds/.

Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

Yes, I agree with Sylvia's suggestion. We have a few citizens who take outstanding photos. While Inara Pey's are very nice, they do have their own character about them that might not truly represent the CDS landscape.

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lilith Ivory »

What about advertising a CDS photo contest to get a variety of new photos?
We should not only include CDS citizens and friends from within our inworld group but also advertise this contest on FB and our Flikr page to get People from outside come and visit CDS.
As Prices for the first few entries I could imagine a not too high but still tempting amount of L$ or even better: one month of free living at one of our yellow parcels.

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett
Sylvia Tamalyn
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sylvia Tamalyn »

Lilith Ivory wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:48 pm

or even better: one month of free living at one of our yellow parcels.

Great idea, Lilith! Give the winner a month to get a home set up and to meet some neighbors, and they just might decide to put down roots.

If a citizen who already has a parcel wins, they could get a free month on their rent.

Return to “General Discussion”