The Bonniebots

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

The Bonniebots

Post by Sudane Erato »

While I haven't noticed any discussion here in the forum about this, I have understood that a lot of talk has been going on in the community about the recent increase in the number of surveillance bots that are appearing on our sims. And, for probably the first time, the easy access to the info that they are gathering.

And then I notice today that LL acknowledges the issue, enough to make a main blog post about it.
https://community.secondlife.com/blogs/ ... d-privacy/

Interesting.

For those who are engaged in this topic, we should all note that bots have been visiting our sims and collecting info for years, since bots were invented. What's new is the ready availability of the info they collect:
https://www.bonniebots.com/regions/Neufreistadt
although Gwyn points out that some (just a few) other bot hosts also share information.

It will be interesting to see how LL ultimately responds.

Sudane...................

*** Confirmed Grump ***
Profile: http://bit.ly/p9ASqg
Kyoko
Pundit
Pundit

Re: The Bonniebots

Post by Kyoko »

Caledon Oxbridge has had issues with them. Apparently a certain number are assigned to a location and they are numbered. COU had 3. Word wrote a script to handle then.

I had Moon ban a recent bot not sure if it was a Bonnie. If we are having trouble with them talk to Wordsmith.

Not sure if LL has changed their tune, but they originally said they didn’t break TOS….

CDS Citizen
Rosie Gray
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Rosie Gray »

It should be noted that anyone who wants to have their personal avatar information not included in the BonnieBots information, all they need to do is send a message to bonniebelle86 with the text 'opt-out'. I've done that myself. I am not worried about the other regional data they are collecting, but I didn't want my personal avatar information linked to my name also made public, so that's what I did.

Not all of the data they have captured is being published, but it includes avatar profiles that feature information (such as account status -- Premium, Premium Plus) not actually easily publicly accessible through LL's own platform.

The odds are good that you will find your own profile on this web page now, or in the future.

"Courage, my friend, it's not too late to make the world a better place."
~ Tommy Douglas
Kyoko
Pundit
Pundit

Post by Kyoko »

True enough Rosie.

But we can be proactive. And Word’s script does that

CDS Citizen
Lilith Ivory
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lilith Ivory »

Opting out is a great idea.
Otherwise I don't mind the bonniebots and outside of CDS we will have to bare with them anyway

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
Terry Pratchett

Return to “General Discussion”