Request for Comment: Rezoning of Undeveloped Area

Forum to discuss and coordinate the expansion of the CDS and the redevelopment of existing territories.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Request for Comment: Rezoning of Undeveloped Area

Post by Aliasi Stonebender »

I intend - once I can nail Sudane/Rudeen down long enough to assist - to divide the undeveloped area in the south portion of the city (that is, the region that was formerly Altenburg and continued to be popularly referred to as such) into housing plots and make them available for sale, preferably to those who have been unable to purchase land in the CDS to date, but the possibility of allowing them as 'prim lots' to existing citizens is there.

This shouldn't need special RA action, since technically the area was one contiguous plot under the standard city covenant. This makes it a simple administrative matter. However, I would like to hear any opinions on HOW it should be divided up, especially from those who have not yet joined but would like to. Would a small number of large plots, or many smaller plots as currently exist be preferred?

Member of the Scientific Council and board moderator.
Nikki
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Post by Nikki »

Perhaps we could have some buildings larger than just houses in this area, especially those nearer to the Art Museum since it is quite large in comparison to most of the buildings around it. This idea comes mostly from the conversation in another thread to be found here: http://forums.neufreistadt.info/viewtopic.php?t=1034

If you are interested in seeing what this area in RL Rothenburg o.d.T., (the Plönlein) looks like, here is a photo:

This is simply for reference – it is not my opinion we should make it look like that! One thing I would like you to notice, however, is there is not water running by under the clock.

One thing I can think of that Neufreistadt does not have that every town in RL has is a post office. If we were to have one, that might be a good area for it. I have been thinking about how a post office could actually be useful for something and not just seem useless. The only real idea I have is for there to perhaps be a community bulletin board in it. It could also be kind of humorous, with a big sign: “DIE POST – TELECOM”. Visitors would be like, “what…?” :D

Another thing missing is health services like a doctor’s office and pharmacy, but these would probably have to be private businesses to help avatars with their health problems which are mostly technical. : - )

If the clock were to remain, I would like to for us to put working hands on it.

Last edited by Nikki on Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dnate Mars
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Dnate Mars »

Split it up into 16sqm plots and put really big spinning signs on them all. Then we can have the straight from the mainland feel.

Nikki
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Post by Nikki »

Ha Ha!!

Exactly! - -

and make sure each building views an ocean coastline.

:lol:

Last edited by Nikki on Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Aliasi Stonebender »

[quote="Dnate Mars":1azsbjpl]Split it up into 16sqm plots and put really big spinning signs on them all. Then we can have the straight from the mainland feel.[/quote:1azsbjpl]

Careful, Dnate, I might do that just for spite. *grin*

Anyway, the idea of a in-world bulletin board is interesting, although I'd prefer to direct people to the forum. Dammit, where's our HTML on a prim?

Member of the Scientific Council and board moderator.
Moon Adamant
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Moon Adamant »

Please consider that in case of expansion to a future Ost-Neufreistadt, some kind of street/road space should be previewed in the Altenstadt area to provide access to it. The slot for it can be a plaza/patio untill the time we have the Ost sim.

Nikki
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Postamt?

Post by Nikki »

I do not know if a post office is something the community wants, but for such a possibility it might be of interest that the Deutsche Post has an island in SL.

Here is an SLURL for it: http://slurl.com/secondlife/Post%20Island/128/128

Perhaps we could contact them and see if they would like to have a post office (Postamt) in Neufreistadt. If we want to ask them, I can do this.

Last edited by Nikki on Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beathan
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Beathan »

A post office? I really like that idea. The right/ability to maintain a post office is considered an essential element of modern statehood. For instance, the Lateran Treaty, which established the existence of Vatican City as an independent state, had the right to have and maintian post office as an essential term -- showing that Vatican City has the right to unmediated communication with the outside world.

Even if we serve as host to an SL office of some established post office, I think that such a use is very symbolic and very much in tune with our project.

Beathan

Let's keep things simple enough to be fair, substantive enough to be effective, and insightful enough to be good.
Nikki
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Post by Nikki »

Beathan has raised a good issue to think about, which was somewhat on my mind but which I found difficult to describe.

If a post office were to be sponsored by the Deutsche Post it would be tied to a RL government. On the plus side of this would be that the Deutsche Post has an interest in SL and might create a realistic post office in Neufreistadt which it could maintain. I believe many people would find this interesting. Also in RL the Deutsche Post is the postal service for Bavaria, which is considered the source for the design of Neufreistadt. On the minus side would be that doing this (if it were to work out) would tie Neufreistadt more with Germany in particular, making it less of its own culture and being less neutral for German speakers from other countries like Switzerland, Austria, Belgium, Luxemburg.

For me it is not important if any of this is done or not, but I had written about a post office earlier in this thread and only wanted to let the community know that the Deutsche Post has a presence in SL if that is of interest.

Sleazy_Writer
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sleazy_Writer »

We want more life (people) in the sim, right? I suggest making it residential parcels then. Here's a way to do it:

[b:asnwu3ya](1) Map:[/b:asnwu3ya]
[img:asnwu3ya]http://schallplatten.files.wordpress.co ... ay2007.png[/img:asnwu3ya]
<Edit: changed addresses to be compatible with existing addresses on the Kendrastrasse>
Feel free to use the image for your own plans.

[b:asnwu3ya](2) Prices and prims, copied from existing prices:[/b:asnwu3ya]
[color=blue:asnwu3ya]905 Kendrastrasse[/color:asnwu3ya] 240 sqm = 55 prims, purchase: 6.96 US$ or 2121 L$, monthly: 1.86 U$ or 565 L$, (like 1645 Sudanestrasse Viertel 2)
[color=blue:asnwu3ya]950 Kendrastrasse[/color:asnwu3ya] 320 sqm = 74 prims, purchase: 9,28 US$ or 2828 L$, monthly: 2,48 US$ or 754 L$, (133% of 1645 Sudanestrasse Viertel 2)
[color=blue:asnwu3ya]1005 Kendrastrasse[/color:asnwu3ya] 320 sqm = 74 prims, purchase: 9,28 US$ or 2828 L$, monthly: 2,48 US$ or 754 L$, (133% of 1645 Sudanestrasse Viertel 2)
[color=blue:asnwu3ya]1050 Kendrastrasse[/color:asnwu3ya] 336 sqm = 77 prims, purchase: 9.74 US$ or 2969 L$, monthly: 2.60 US$ or 792 L$, (like 1600 Catfahrt Viertel 2)
[color=blue:asnwu3ya]1105 Kendrastrasse[/color:asnwu3ya] 240 sqm = 55 prims, purchase: 6.96 US$ or 2121 L$, monthly: 1.86 U$ or 565 L$, (like 1645 Sudanestrasse Viertel 2)
<Edit: changed addresses to be compatible with existing addresses on the Kendrastrasse>

[b:asnwu3ya](3) Sale of Undeveloped Area Bill[/b:asnwu3ya]
The following amended version was passed by the RA on May 14th:
"Parcels in the 'undeveloped area' (formerly known as 'Altenburg' area) SHOULD BE REDEVELOPED FOR SALE WITH ONE HALF RESERVED FOR prospective citizens with a maximum of one per person. This act will expire when parcels from the third CDS sim go on sale to the general public."

Rationale: To ensure better availability of parcels to prospective citizens during the months that the third sim is not officially open and parcels are likely to become increasingly rare.
<Edit May 15:> The amended bill reserves (hopefully) three parcels for prospective citizens in this way.

As a bonus an extra picture (The large version can be found [url=http://schallplatten.files.wordpress.co ... g:asnwu3ya]here[/url:asnwu3ya])
[img:asnwu3ya]http://schallplatten.files.wordpress.co ... tsmall.png[/img:asnwu3ya]

Last edited by Sleazy_Writer on Mon May 14, 2007 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

[quote="TOPGenosse":7uzcpgmq]We want more life (people) in the sim, right? I suggest making it residential parcels then. Here's a way to do it:[/quote:7uzcpgmq]
Hehe.... for a "non-citizen" of our community, I would say that TOP continues to contribute words and ideas with a volume un-matched by any "citizen". :)... What was that TOP, about stepping away from SL :)? Thank you for your continual stream of thoughts!

I like a very great deal this new initiative which Aliasi has launched to re-develop this area. Last year, there was some discussion about this project, and a number of interesting ideas were shared. At that time, we looked at both the area in question (the FORMER Altenburg)(perhaps we should call it the Neustadt?) and the area occupied by the Schloss. It was thought that a strong option, then, was to remove the Schloss, with the thought that the combined area could be the home of the School, the Scientific Council (or other judicial function) and residencies.... also perhaps embassies or other semi governmental uses. (like a post office! :) )

With Samantha's wonderful work on the Schloss, I sense that the Schloss is now a permanent landmark in the city. I honestly think that's great. She has added as much to the build as Kendra did in creating it... its a fascinating and wonderful place. So, I think we direct our attention now to the vacant area (and perhaps also to the empty volume under the dance floor of the Schloss).

I feel TOP's plan is a good start. I have one important comment however. TOP's plan preserves the existing features of this area, the straight street, the bridge, the "artificial" water and the pit that it's in. The old plan of the city always had the street arranged like this (kind of anomalous, don't you think, for the supposed "old section" of the city?). But the bridge, pit, water, pipes... these are all added as a "temporary" measure after the "first great civil war", in which Kendra packed up all her things in this area and left.

I would suggest that we look at this area a bit more freshly, not trying to preserve any of the existing elements. After all, when Neualtenburg was originally built, this area looked NOTHING like this... it was quite literally a Platz surrounded by public buildings... a place for meetings of the community. Indeed, my very first exposure to our community was a public meeting held by Pendari Lorentz, in this platz, intended to introduce new and interested people to the experiment then called Neualtenburg. That was in December 2004, and the community was already 6 months old!

I'll try to locate the old dicussion thread, and link it here. I am *SO* happy that this project is being looked at again. I know that this small project will not detract from the current process of planning our third sim... I look forward to both becoming great improvements to our community.

{ EDIT} Threads located... sadly, picture links broken (so much for the "advantage" of linked images rather that "embedded" images). But, these might serve to refresh our thoughts:

http://forums.neufreistadt.info/viewtop ... rg&start=0

http://forums.neufreistadt.info/viewtop ... =altenburg

Sudane.....

Sleazy_Writer
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sleazy_Writer »

[quote="Sudane Erato":2ex8p02n]What was that TOP, about stepping away from SL :)?[/quote:2ex8p02n] that's an ongoing process ... :roll:

Sleazy_Writer
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sleazy_Writer »

[quote="Sudane Erato":1dnpkz1x]important comment: TOP's plan preserves the existing features of this area, the straight street, the bridge, the "artificial" water ... I would suggest that we look at this area a bit more freshly[/quote:1dnpkz1x]I'm all for everything that's fresh :-) But I [i:1dnpkz1x]like[/i:1dnpkz1x] the water and the bridge! I admit my plan is not super creative, but at least it's a real, concrete plan how to get things moving [i:1dnpkz1x]now[/i:1dnpkz1x].

[quote:1dnpkz1x]the anomalous straight street[/quote:1dnpkz1x]Yes I'm no big fan of it either. If we don't get rid of it, another texture will make it more medieval and look less like a highway.

[quote:1dnpkz1x]originally ... it was quite literally a Platz surrounded by public buildings[/quote:1dnpkz1x]Yes but do we really need more of those? I suggest using the Schloss und Bier Garten a bit more first. I suspect Rubaiyat wouldn't mind more traffic in Trotski's either.

Sleazy_Writer
Master Word Wielder
Master Word Wielder

Post by Sleazy_Writer »

[b:31vbrpy1]
" TOP's Plan " -- the sequel[/b:31vbrpy1]

The empty house below the Schloss balcony is also on a parcel that awaits redevelopment ("1290 Kendrastrasse"). Below are two options for that area, with different merit. Please post your preference or present an illustrated alternative.

[img:31vbrpy1]http://schallplatten.files.wordpress.co ... 7small.png[/img:31vbrpy1]

[b:31vbrpy1]Option (1) "Waterfall + Prims"[/b:31vbrpy1]
+ aesthetically the most pleasing (stream/waterfall originating on mountain slope below balcony)
+ easy, not much work is needed (except the waterfal which is the fun part)
+ preserves entire balcony with its popular dancing balls
+ new prim parcel: [color=blue:31vbrpy1]Prim parcel Kendrastrasse[/color:31vbrpy1] 224 sqm = 52 prims, purchase: 6.52 US$ or 1985 L$, monthly: 1.31 US$ or 397 L$, (156% of regular 144 sqm prim parcel)
+ it's my favourite plan

[i:31vbrpy1]Option (1) requires the following actions for the parcel that now is "1290 Kendrastrasse" :[/i:31vbrpy1]
* remove house (the unused one)
* balcony objects: complete where needed
* balcony objects: link them
* balcony objects: move them a bit eastwards to free prim squares at west side of them
* re-parcel
* remove brickwork surrounding undeveloped area
* build waterfall/stream
* add extra balcony level, where people can admire waterfall (optional)

[b:31vbrpy1]Option (2) "Extra House & Small Rotated Balcony"[/b:31vbrpy1]
+ 1 more residential plot: [color=blue:31vbrpy1]1290 Kendrastrasse *NEW VERSION*[/color:31vbrpy1] 352 sqm = 81 prims, prices should be 33% of P400 NW Viertel
+ dancing is nonsense, a smaller balcony will suffice and the Schloss has another ballroom too (proposed 'east-west' balcony measures 15m x 25m approx. 60% of current one)

[i:31vbrpy1]Option (2) requires the following actions for the parcel that now is "1290 Kendrastrasse" :[/i:31vbrpy1]
* balcony objects: rotate them 90 degrees
* balcony objects: move to pink area
* balcony objects: remodel (this will take some time)
* re-parcel

So in short .. sorry: I couldn't resist playing with Paint a bit :?

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

[quote="TOPGenosse":rwv5chmd] [b:rwv5chmd]Option (1) "Waterfall + Prims"[/b:rwv5chmd]
+ aesthetically the most pleasing (stream/waterfall originating on mountain slope below balcony)
+ easy, not much work is needed (except the waterfal which is the fun part)
+ preserves entire balcony with its popular dancing balls
+ new prim parcel: [color=blue:rwv5chmd]Prim parcel Kendrastrasse[/color:rwv5chmd] 224 sqm = 52 prims, purchase: 6.52 US$ or 1985 L$, monthly: 1.31 US$ or 397 L$, (156% of regular 144 sqm prim parcel)
+ it's my favourite plan

[i:rwv5chmd]Option (1) requires the following actions for the parcel that now is "1290 Kendrastrasse" :[/i:rwv5chmd]
* balcony objects: move them a bit eastwards to free prim squares at west side of them
* re-parcel
* remove brickwork surrounding undeveloped area
* build waterfall/stream
* add extra balcony level, where people can admire waterfall (optional)[/quote:rwv5chmd]
I too like this option the best. But I have a few modifications.

1) The prims which are removed below the Schloss Balcony do not need to be isloated as a separate parcel. They should simply be added to the city's prim parcel. I think if we build a waterfall and stream, and a sub-balcony on which to appreciate them (I like this idea a lot), the city will need the prims. For citizens who need prims, there are still prim parcels available (and if need be, more can be made in the valley).

2) I do NOT like the straight street. At the very least, it should have a slight curve to it, with perhaps a small Platz in the center.

3) I continue to feel that the bridge and the pit with the water in the bottom should be removed. They don't seem appropriate to me. Land, with houses close together, and a small Platz, would be more appropriate.

4) Waterfall and stream. I have RARELY seen these done well with prims. I strongly suggest that we consult with Diderot over the best artist to build something thats *appropriate* for the location.

And, I volunteer to build this area, once a decision is made. I could terraform, parcel, and lay out the streets and other public things, if people would like. Also build the waterfall area and the sub balcony. We could populate the parcel with placeholder buildings until people move in and construct their own. I'd also be happy to work with anyone who would like to help. This is a great project... sorely needed. Both to fill a gaping hole in our city, and to provide needed parcels for new people.

Thank you Aliasi for suggesting this, and for TOP for providing all these ideas.

Sudane.....

Return to “Sim and City Planning”