With regards to faction dissolution...

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Pelanor Eldrich
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

With regards to faction dissolution...

Post by Pelanor Eldrich »

Now this is going to sound evil, but it's a rehash of my alts in gov't thread. If your faction has 2 members and will dissolve in 48 hours and you're up against the wall finding no replacements...

-Buy an alt., become a citizen and join the faction.

Now, whether you declare the avi as an alt is up to you. There are ethical pro and con positions. Remeber, this is SL not RL. There are no real people only Avatars. The line is blurry, but I can't legislate for "souls" (ie real humans) because some don't believe in them in SL, and in any case you can't detect/identify/put one in a bottle in SL.

Pelanor Eldrich
Principal - Eldrich Financial
Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Aliasi Stonebender »

It's been discussed before. We really have nothing but the honor system to go by (unless we demand RL info) and the most we can do is if we [i:19q58huz]ever[/i:19q58huz] find out a citizen is running an alt as an additional citizen is instant and unforgiving ban/kick/exile.

Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Patroklus Murakami »

I'd rather dissolve the faction rather than go down that road! :D

I can see why you might want to do that to preserve a faction in exceptional circumstance but.... it's a very big violation of the rule we have regarding alts.

Now, if you were to use your alt(s) just to maintain the faction as an SL group but [i:31g0f8y0]without[/i:31g0f8y0] them becoming citizens... that's not quite so bad!

Pelanor Eldrich
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Uh, ok, forgive my lack of legal knowledge here...

Aliasi I understand what you're saying, but can you quote me chapter and verse where it is illegal to do such a thing? Let me propose a hypothetical: What if I were to announce that Claude Desmoulins is my alt?

Walk me through that scenario, please. Thanks! -Pel

Pelanor Eldrich
Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: Uh, ok, forgive my lack of legal knowledge here...

[quote="Pelanor Eldrich":15ij0qd9]Aliasi I understand what you're saying, but can you quote me chapter and verse where it is illegal to do such a thing? Let me propose a hypothetical: What if I were to announce that Claude Desmoulins is my alt?
[/quote:15ij0qd9]

Hm. I had thought the bill had been passed, but I can find no record of it.

I am mistaken. Nonetheless, I can assure you that if [i:15ij0qd9]I[/i:15ij0qd9] found out - within a fair degree of certainty - that someone was running an alt, I would do everything I could to make their Second Life a living hell. :D

Pelanor Eldrich
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

I understand...and I fear you...

Especially if you take matters into your own hands or hire the mafia. LOL. I hate to rehash my controversial alt viewpoint, but it's something that may need consideration due to the advent of free/easy accounts.

In such a case Newaltenburg would be a good name. :)
BTW I have one alt now, EldrichFinancial Goldenburg. It's basically a piggy bank and functions like Rudeen for my firm.

I'm a humanist in RL, and it would appear you're a humanist in SL. :)

Pelanor Eldrich
Aliasi Stonebender
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Re: I understand...and I fear you...

[quote="Pelanor Eldrich":2z3e4vpa]
I'm a humanist in RL, and it would appear you're a humanist in SL. :)[/quote:2z3e4vpa]

*shrug* While I appreciate many uses for alts - I keep one for roleplaying purposes, for example - I don't care for sockpuppets or for "astroturfing".

We [i:2z3e4vpa]could[/i:2z3e4vpa] discourage alts by requiring Paypal for land fees. While of course someone could set up multiple Paypal accounts, it's an additional step beyond registering a free account.

Note I am not recommending we do this, nor do I have any particular wish to do so. Merely that it is an option.

Return to “General Discussion”