Sim Contest Exhibition

Forum to discuss and coordinate the expansion of the CDS and the redevelopment of existing territories.

Moderator: SC Moderators

Moon Adamant
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Sim Contest Exhibition

Post by Moon Adamant »

Hello everyone :)

The Praetorium being set for the exhibit and voting on the sim contest, i'd like to call everyone working on proposals to IM me so we can set the exhibit started by the 1st of May - we need to look at the space and get everyone right in it.

A similar space will be prepared at the Schloss.

PLEASE remember that we will be accepting proposals in the contest till the 15th May, so if you don't have everything ready it's quite ok - exhibits will be a WIP. Just call me anyway.

michelmanen
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

"Al-Andalus" sim proposal withdrawn from CDS compe

Post by michelmanen »

I have decided to withdraw my sim proposal, "El-Andalus", from the CDS new sim competition. I commissioned and paid for, or made myself all maps, models, statistics and data related to this project and therefore retain full use and ownership thereof.

Good luck to the rest of the field.

Jon Seattle
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Jon Seattle »

Sorry to see you withdraw your plans Michel. My hope was and it that the competition would lead to a consensus plan that could help in revitalizing our community and improve community spirit. Your submission would certainly have been an important contribution to this process.

Let the process go on!

Justice Soothsayer
Pundit
Pundit

Re: "Al-Andalus" sim proposal withdrawn from CDS c

Post by Justice Soothsayer »

[quote="michelmanen":1n1g64wq]I have decided to withdraw my sim proposal, "El-Andalus", from the CDS new sim competition. I commissioned and paid for, or made myself all maps, models, statistics and data related to this project and therefore retain full use and ownership thereof.

Good luck to the rest of the field.[/quote:1n1g64wq]

I'm REALLY very sorry to see the withdrawal of this proposal, as I very much liked what I saw, and thought it would fit in well with our other historical themes.

Dnate Mars
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Dnate Mars »

Just a quick few questions. First, if we don't like any of the sims that are being planned, is it possible to do a vote for none? That way we did vote, but we think that none of the current crop is acceptable?

Second, is there a way to find others that may be able to help or wants help developing a sim? Some sort of way to have people that want to help, but can't do it all themselves to get in contact with each other might be a useful tool to have.

Jon Seattle
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Jon Seattle »

[quote="Dnate Mars":30x00muv]Just a quick few questions. First, if we don't like any of the sims that are being planned, is it possible to do a vote for none? That way we did vote, but we think that none of the current crop is acceptable?[/quote:30x00muv]
In the voting system I have been developing for the contest there is a category "none of the above". However, we will keep all proposals on hand for future development.

[quote="Dnate Mars":30x00muv]Second, is there a way to find others that may be able to help or wants help developing a sim? Some sort of way to have people that want to help, but can't do it all themselves to get in contact with each other might be a useful tool to have.[/quote:30x00muv]
For all proposers who want help in developing their proposal, Moon and I have been holding office hours weekly and have made ourselves available for such tasks as terrain modeling, modeling, and advice.

The proposers will not do the actual development of their proposal. If the RA approves the RA may also designate who builds the sim. In most cases this will be the guild, under the direction of the guild faculty.

I recommend people who want to participate show up at Guild meetings. We have been very flexible, to the point of shifting the meeting to a time when all members who wanted to be present could be present. Any citizen can be a member of the guild administrative board. If you cannot make the regular weekly time slot (Every Saturday at 10 AM SL Time in the CN amphitheater) please IM me and I will see what I can do.

Bromo Ivory
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Bromo Ivory »

I saw the start of exhibits this morning at the Schloss in Neufreistadt - it looked like there was 1 exhibit and room for a second. Are there 2 entries now that Al-Andalus was withdrawn?

Please direct me to the answer if this was answered elsewhere as I was not able to locate it, though I am just trying to get through these rather lively forum posts! ;)

==
"Nenia peno nek provo donos lakton de bovo."

Nikki
Seasoned debater
Seasoned debater

Post by Nikki »

Yesterday I visited The Praetorium in Colonia Nova and it looked to me like there were two entries there.

Bromo Ivory
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Bromo Ivory »

[quote="Nikki":21drlb7r]Yesterday I visited The Praetorium in Colonia Nova and it looked to me like there were two entries there.[/quote:21drlb7r]

I saw one that was a proposal for a Greek town (positives are a planned town, negatives - theme bleed) - slick presentation.

I saw the other being and agricultural based smooth transition (positives smooth theme transition, and plenty of places for settlements). Less slick presentation - but the idea is great and I like it best because it links the SIMS with a smooth transition!

Everyone should have a gander - these are both great ideas!

==

Sudane Erato
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Sudane Erato »

[quote="Bromo Ivory":4gm83and] Everyone should have a gander - these are both great ideas![/quote:4gm83and]
Oh!!! You tear my heart out!

The Greek khora (town) is my soul! I would love to help build a sim like that... the idea of re-creating an island village like that would be just pure heaven for me... the RL versions are where my heart belongs...... thank you Arria and Ulysee for bringing the idea up!

But I feel that that is not the right theme for that location :(. No Greek island town would have its back to a linear cliff like that. Even the town of Hydra (pronounced "ee'-dra"), (which is not Cyclades), a small town around a tiny circular harbor, with steep hills all around it, is no where's as drastic as is the proposal. And certainly not wedged between a mountain on one side and a river valley on the other.

The opposite might be the incredible town of Thera (thee'-ra), perched on the edge of the incredible cliff/crater of Santorini. It actually does have a tiny path, criss-crossing its way down a cliff side like that to the water below. But there the town is at the top of the cliff, with the water and a most beautiful vista of the sea stretching out in front of you.

So... oh my!... please let's build the Greek khora-themed sim some day. But for the sim between NFS and CN, I'd have to prefer Rose's alpine solution.

Thank you all!

Sudane.....

Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Patroklus Murakami »

[quote="Sudane Erato":3dgf242y]So... oh my!... please let's build the Greek khora-themed sim some day. But for the sim between NFS and CN, I'd have to prefer Rose's alpine solution.

Thank you all!

Sudane.....[/quote:3dgf242y]I know that lots of people want to build the next sim as the one between Neufreistadt and Colonia Nova but... that's not a done deal yet. We could build the lovely Greek khora-themed sim in one of the other spaces on our lovely Estate Plan. No need to reject the idea because it doesn't fit in between NFS and CN :)

Arria Perreault
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Nea Hora

Post by Arria Perreault »

Let us give you some informations about our proposal. As we have declared in the notecard, this proposal has two aspects: relief and architecture.

1. We have tried to propose a relief that fit the gap between NFS and CN and our proposal seems an interesting way to solve this problem. It offers two distinct parts: a cliff where we propose to build a mountain road and a smoother area for any kind of settlement.
We would like to remember the discussion about acquisition of void sims. This relief could be realized also in this solution.

2. We have proposed a kind of architecture that can be realized in other types of reliefs, without the cliff. Even we took our inspiration in Thera for the association cliff-down settlement and in Mykonos for the general aspect of the village, we would like to precise that it is an imaginary town.

Anyway, we are ready to make changes in our proposal. Our main motivation is to learn more about building. This relief that we have proposed is only to fill the empty space between NFS and CN and could be used for other types of constructions or as a void sim or even to build an extension of the roman settlement named Colonia Nova. This last solution is maybe the best one. The greek village could also be build in any other place with an easier relief. We would also appreciate this solution.

Maybe we should decide first if the 3rd sim should be in-between NFS and CN. This is not the goal of this contest. We are ready to propose our greek village on a more appropriate relief . Unfortunately it is too late for us to propose a project for the extension of Colonia Nova to the South. This could be done later, if it gets an interest.

Arria and Ulysse

Bromo Ivory
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Re: Nea Hora

Post by Bromo Ivory »

*blushes* Serves me right for not scrutinizing the notecard more carefully! SORRY!

To me, then, removing the proposal as a link, removed the Theme Bleed, and makes the proposal VERY very compelling. And the overriding question for me is:

Which is more important - linking NFS and CN SIMS together - *or* a cool new theme!

And Sudane - I love the Greek Islands! I never meant to tear your heart out! :( [And Greek Islands in SL would mean I would be able to stay out in the sun without the sunburn I always get after just a few minutes!]

==

Dnate Mars
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Dnate Mars »

I still stand behind my thoughts on no new themes. I think we need a way to "blend" from one theme to another. If we want a third theme, it will need to be connected to the current 2 in someway, without too much bleed.

Brian Livingston
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Brian Livingston »

I agree with Dnate on the importance of blending our two current themes. If a new theme is in fact used for a connecting sim, it should not be something completely different from the two cities, but rather something rather generic. I was thinking a small village surrounded by larger less-restriction plots in an pastoral type setting.

I also feel quite strongly that we should really be using the next sim(s) to connect our two existing sims. Bridging the two sims shoudl help improve traffic in both sims significantly and improve the sense of community.

--BL

Return to “Sim and City Planning”