Classes in CDS

Forum for the CDS Artisan Guild

Moderator: SC Moderators

Dnate Mars
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Classes in CDS

Post by Dnate Mars »

I have a very simple question for anyone reading this, what classes would you like to see take place in the CDS? What skill level would you hope to be able to get from a class? Would you rather have 1 on 1 sessions or a lecture/lab type environment? Do you want a single session class or a multi-day/week class? Is there anything else you would like to see?

Brian Livingston
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Post by Brian Livingston »

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to create a multi-class curriculum to take people from simply rezzing prims to creating increasing complicated items and have weekly sessions. At least two faculty members could host sessions, perhaps set up so that one starts a week after the other so that if someone who is taking the classes mises one, they can make it up the following week.

A tentative schedule of classes;

1) Introduction to Building - The Building tools, Prim types, linking, locking.

2) Introduction to Texturing - A more in depth look at the texture tools; applying and altering textures, importing textures into SL.

3) Intermediate Building - Customizing Prims; Hollow, cut, twist, and so on.

4) Advanced Prim Torture - Twisting, cutting, and sizing prims for fun and profit.

5) Advanced Building - Pulling it all together, creating larger structures, building strategies, etc.

In addition, I would love to see the Guild offer classes in the following:

- Architecture; Both RL and SL architecture to provide inspiration for future designs, including basic design concepts.

- Terraforming; There's nothing like being able to move your front yard on a whim.

- Urban Studies; Creating more vibrant communities by examining some of the theories and trends influencing RL communities and how they relate to SL.

- Scripting; This is another multi-class course that should be offered on an overlapping basis.

These are just a few thoughts, I'm sure there are many more out there!

--BL

Moon Adamant
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Moon Adamant »

eheheh quite a delayed reply :)

Brian, i love the curricula. I would suggest too, as generalities:

. Elements of Design, these being the immediate visual training for everyone doing artistic related work.

. History of Arts, perhaps following your idea of Architecture classes? It's just that a knowledge of art styles may help people to first understand what they see in an epoch building, and second, concretize more accurately an epoch idea.

I think though that scripting needs to be more compartimented, possibly also a B-I-A scheme, or perhaps focusing in themes. Nevertheless, introduction to scripting is definetely a must have.

Pelanor Eldrich
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Ripping off other courses...(with permission)

Post by Pelanor Eldrich »

There are a wealth of SL building/scripting courses out there. Some of the better instructors might be asked to teach a class or perhaps would be willing to share curricula.

There are other classes which we could offer that are not available. Civics 101 and History of the CDS come to mind.

Pelanor Eldrich
Principal - Eldrich Financial
Dnate Mars
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

Re: Ripping off other courses...(with permission)

Post by Dnate Mars »

[quote="Pelanor Eldrich":ykpam9ek]There are a wealth of SL building/scripting courses out there. Some of the better instructors might be asked to teach a class or perhaps would be willing to share curricula.

There are other classes which we could offer that are not available. Civics 101 and History of the CDS come to mind.[/quote:ykpam9ek]
If anyone has anything from classes they have taught or have taken, please contact me. I am trying my hardest to get info on classes and the best ways to teach them, but I am coming up a little short. If there are any people that were part of the SL Instructors group and you have some insight, please pass that info to me!

Arria Perreault
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

classes

Post by Arria Perreault »

Relating to the list of Brian, i am interested on following topics:

Advanced Building - Pulling it all together, creating larger structures, building strategies, etc.

Terraforming

Scripting

Architecture & Urban Studies: relationship between SL and RL

I imagine that this classes can be forms of workshops, except the last one which is more theoric.

Waiting for the programm :D

Pelanor Eldrich
Veteran debater
Veteran debater

A quote from a friend at work.

Post by Pelanor Eldrich »

I have a friend at work whose avatar is now 2 weeks old and very excited to be a part of SL. Like a smart new resident (and unlike me), she's taken as many courses as possible. When I asked her about SL classes she wrote me this:

[quote:n6ifdv59]Sure!
I've taken classes from all of the larger collectives that offer them. In order of my preference (first to last):

My favorite is NCI (New Citizens, Incorporated). They've got several locations where classes take place, including Fisherman's Cove (37,232) NCI Plaza South (in Hamnida 237,83), Usability Island (93,141), Disturbing World (159,79), etc. Classes are free. I use their sandboxes in NCI International to build.

TUi Neo (Technical User Interfacing). Nanea Isle (46,201) – they teach tons of classes, and seem to be better organized. They're currently recruiting instructors right now, so they seem ripe for collaboration. They have their own web site at http://tui-sl.com/. I've taken tons of classes that combine building and scripting here. Classes are either free or available for the symbolic cost of $L10

Rockcliffe University has three classrooms and some of the best beginner's scripting classes. They've got their own sim called Rockcliffe I (116,10)

The Benjamin Center is run by someone named Verum Vacirca, who also hosts a weekly educator chat. Classes tend to be smaller and more hands-on, because they do charge between $L100-150 per class. It's at Tintafel (48,95) – touch the pushpin for a TP to the classroom area. Verum is also active in the SLED list.
The Academy of Second Life (^ASL^ ) – it might be associated with Colorado Tech (at least they seem to use that sim for classes). They don't offer as many classes as the others, but I've like what I've learned there.
There's also a College of Second Life (CSL) at Atlas (163,184) – I've only taken a class or two there, as they all seem to be beginner's level.
Let me know if you have questions or want more information on anything. [/quote:n6ifdv59]

I hope this might be of some use to the Guild. I've done some of the self-paced building tutorials at the Ivory Tower (I think) -Pel

Pelanor Eldrich
Principal - Eldrich Financial

Return to “CDS Artisan Guild”