Petition to the SC Dean in Re: Guild Meeting -22 July, 2007

Here you might discuss basically everything.

Moderator: SC Moderators

michelmanen
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Petition to the SC Dean in Re: Guild Meeting -22 July, 2007

Post by michelmanen »

To: Dean of Scientific Council
CDS

RE: Guild Meeting - 22 July, 2007, 10 am slt

Madam Dean,

WHEREAS the Preamble to the CDS Constitution states that: "All branches of the government are bound to serve the public before themselves and to uphold the Universal Declaration Of Human Rights, Founding Philosophy, Constitution, local laws, the SL ToS, and Community Standards without exception";

WHEREAS no futher sessions of the RA are scheduled to take place until after 22 July 2007;

WHEREAS Section III, Article 1 of the CDS Constitution states that the Scientific Council's "governmental role is to interpret and enforce the constitution. Its service roll (ed. note: sic) is to resolve citizen disputes and moderate user forums and events";

WHEREAS Rose Springvale, an esteemed CDS citizen, was publicly accused in print, in the CDS forums, by Jon Seattle, Guild Secretary and current CSDF candidate for a Representative Assembly seat, principally but not soley of taking actions having as effect to undermine democracy and "hold the CDS to ransom";

WHEREAS Rose Springvale will be absent from the CDS due to important and unavoidable family commitments for the next two weeks;

WHEREAS the Guild Secretay, with full knowledge of the above and after having submitted of his own volition his resignation as Guild Secretary, takes it upon himself to suggest to Dnate Mars, the presumed Chair of the next Guild Meeting, to be held on Sunday, July 22, at 10:00 hrs slt in CDS, that the agenda of such meeting include

"...the following agenda items:

1. Ultimate ownership and/or trust argument for Guild work for sim design and installation on public land.

2. The right of Guild members to free speech on matters of Guild policy. Do we want to have these?';

WHEREAS permitting the Guild, a quasi-public organisation holding its Founding Charter from the Representative Assembly, to hold such a meeting at this time and on such matters would, in effect, deprive Rose Springcale of even her most basic right to face her accuser, reply to his charges, and justify her conduct and point of view; and

WHEREAS holding such a meeting would constitute an unconscionable violation of her basic constitutonal rights as stated in (for example) the above-quoted Preamble of the CDS Constitution, as well as wanton disregard of due process, the rule of law and any professional code of deontology currently in force in any reputable and respected professional organisation by Jon Seattle, an individual in flagrant conflict of interest between his current position as leading officer of a non-political quasi-governmental organisation and his candidacy for an RA seat as member of a major CDS political party;

THEREFORE I humbly request that the Scientific Council acting as a whole (or the Dean of the Scientific Council acting alone if required by the circumstances) carry out its constitutional duties and responsibilites as detailed above and

ISSUE AN INJUNCTION directing the CDS Guild to postpone any debate, discussion, decision or vote of the Guild on matters posted on the public CDS forums over the past week and touching, in part or in whole, directly or indirectly, upon the accusations brought against Rose Springvale, principally but not exclusively, by said Jon Seattle until the return of Rose Springvale to the CDS and until such time as she will be reasonably available to attend a Guild meeting, and to exercise her basic constitutional and human rights to to face her accuser, reply to his charges, and justify her conduct and point of view.

SUBMITTED humbly, this 21st day of July, 2007, by Michel Manen, CDS citizen.

Patroklus Murakami
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Moved to General Discussion

Post by Patroklus Murakami »

Michel

The 'Events in the CDS' forum is for "Announcements of activities and events in CDS." so I have moved this post to 'General Discussion'.

michelmanen
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by michelmanen »

Thank you Pat. I was unsure myself where to post this.

Jon Seattle
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by Jon Seattle »

The odd thing about this is that [b:270in68x]no one[/b:270in68x] bothered to ask me if we could put off specific discussion topics or postpone the meeting. I was quite open to that possibility.

While Michel took a confrontational approach, I IMed Bromo and we were able to reach an agreement very quickly.

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Gwyneth Llewelyn »

Michel,

Forgive me about my ignorance or if I'm reading the legal text wrongly. From your wording, it sounds to me that you're basically requesting an injunction against the (New) Guild [i:1epk24xs]not[/i:1epk24xs] to discuss matters related to Rose while she's on holiday. The argument seems to be that Rose's right to defend herself against accusations should prevail, since that's even part of the UDHR.

I have two issues about this (and it definitely none have nothing to do with Rose!). First, the Guild is not "government" — it's a citizen's organisation, and there is both the right of association and the right of free speech that the SC cannot ignore. In effect, I don't see how the SC can "prevent" a group of citizens to meet under whatever agenda they wish. Even if the agenda listed would say: "1. Plot the overthrowing of the CDS government and instate TOPgenosse as life-long dictator" the SC could not prevent the Guild to meet under that agenda, even if that would be a democracy-threatening conspiracy plot.

In effect, under a democracy, even meetings that threaten democracy itself are allowed :) I mean, it's not illegal or unconstitutional to exercise the right of free speech, no matter what [i:1epk24xs]kind[/i:1epk24xs] of free speech might be "exercised".

A weaker form of this same argument is that any private organisation or association of citizens can, in effect, get together and discuss specifically what they think about any other citizen(s), and the SC cannot "disband" that kind of meeting. In effect, it has the constitutional right to [i:1epk24xs]preserve the right[/i:1epk24xs] of them to meet and discuss whatever they wish.

The second point is a certain assumption that the SC has the "exclusivity" of arbitration and moderation, and that the Guild would be, in essence, setting themselves up as their own arbitration/moderation facility, and interfering with the SC's constitutional duties, and thus any agenda including arbitration/moderation should, in effect, be prevented.

However, this argument is, in my mind, not really sustainable. First, there is no "exclusivity" of the SC as an arbitrator/moderator, even after the Judiciary Act was re-instated: what is guaranteed is that the SC, in its role, [i:1epk24xs]has[/i:1epk24xs] to provide arbitration and moderation, if so requested; it certainly does not hold the monopoly in doing so, and should not claim that monopoly ever. What it does provide is an ultimate appeal, and a final decision. But citizens are, in fact, perfectly entitled to set up their own moderation/arbitration facilities. An example is the Trader's Association, which, I believe, would also moderate and arbitrate in commerce, among its members. Only if they couldn't find a way out of a problem, or if the members would refuse their internal decisions, they would be allowed to appeal on that decision to the SC — but the SC has no "power" to refuse them the right to self-moderate and self-arbitrate. Rather, I even view the SC as having the role to [i:1epk24xs]encourage[/i:1epk24xs] other forms of arbitration and moderation. In essence, the SC should work as a "last court of appeal" in most times and allow citizens to deal with all issues among themselves most (or all!) of the time.

Even if that "role" of the SC might be disputed — ie. claiming that you can read the Constitution as granting the SC an "exclusivity" in moderation/arbitration — then we have to analyse what the Guild's agenda states. There is no item on it discussing an eventual "arbitration". They're just discussing internal procedures. One might discuss if the [i:1epk24xs]results[/i:1epk24xs] of implementing those procedures are, or not, a clear violation of certain rules, laws, or even the Constitution, but that's [i:1epk24xs]a priori[/i:1epk24xs] thinking :)

On the other hand, I could obviously suggest that you sent the very same document as a petition to the Guild to postpone their own meeting, on the grounds that discussing anything during the campaigning and voting session (which is actually almost over, anyway), when there are Guild members that are also candidates for the RA, is not very ethical (even if not "forbidden"). But that would be the Guild's prerogative of accepting (or not) that petition; and naturally, your own choice to send the petition to the Guild or not :)

Note that I'm not speaking [i:1epk24xs]ex cathedra[/i:1epk24xs] here, just explaining my personal opinion, and I'll endeavour to have the SC to meet first and only then to pronounce a decision if they'll accept the "injunction request" or not.

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

PGP Fingerprint: CE8A 6006 B611 850F 1275 72BA D93E AA3D C4B3 E1CB

Bromo Ivory
Forum Wizard
Forum Wizard

Post by Bromo Ivory »

Hi Gwyn -

I talked with Jon regarding this in world and Jon posted his suggestion based upon that discussion in the Guild section. I am hopeful this would provide Rose, Jon or anyone else with an opinion a forum that is fair, as well as not impede urgent Guild business AND avoid a legal tussle.

I am a "busybody" in this, and my motive is hoping to avoid further bruising of Jon, Rose and the others involved in the prickly situation.

Oh, and I am acting as a CDS citizen trying to avert a unneeded crisis - not as part of CARE or any other political affiliation.

I feel Jon is doing this in a similar vein.

==
"Nenia peno nek provo donos lakton de bovo."

michelmanen
I need a hobby
I need a hobby

Post by michelmanen »

Hi Gwyn,

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. It is always a pleasure to read you. Unfortunately this entire sad episode puts on show yet again the precarious state of our structure of governance. Let me briefly address a few of the issues you raise, so as to assist you and/or the SC in its decision:

[quote:77y4botx]Forgive me about my ignorance or if I'm reading the legal text wrongly. From your wording, it sounds to me that you're basically requesting an injunction against the (New) Guild not to discuss matters related to Rose while she's on holiday. The argument seems to be that Rose's right to defend herself against accusations should prevail, since that's even part of the UDHR.[/quote:77y4botx]

I am requesting that the two items proposed by Jon to be put on the Guild agenda be postponed for two weeks until Rose's return, as (1) Rose has been the key legal person involved in the resolution of the IP issue and (2) this degenerated into a terrible war of words which affected her both professionally and personally and (3) therefore should be delayed until she is able to participate in person both regarding the substantive nature of the IP issues at hand and the personal accusations leveled against her. Any such discussions and decisions conducted and made in her absence would harfly be either fair or respectful of her rights.

[quote:77y4botx]I have two issues about this (and it definitely none have nothing to do with Rose!). First, the Guild is not "government" — it's a citizen's organisation, and there is both the right of association and the right of free speech that the SC cannot ignore. [/quote:77y4botx]

Well, it is my contention that the Guild is a quasi-governmental organisation, brought into being by an RA Act and based on an RA approved founding Charter, having as main purpose public activities on behalf of CDS as a whole, to be carried out the supervision of the RA. There is a clear argument that the Guild is not just "any group of citizens", but rather part and parcel of our structure of governance and, therefore, must uphold a certain standard of publicity, openness, accountabilty, respect for the rule of law and ethical behavior asked of any branch or instution of governance. Therefore, the freedom of speech of the members of such an organisation action [b:77y4botx]as members of that organisation[/b:77y4botx] must be balanced in some way against other values any functional and fair system of governance must adhere to. If the same inividuals wished to meet privately and discuss the same issues privately -and not under the auspices of the Guild, without making any decisions qua Guild members, there would of course be no argument in favour of the SC's intervention.

[quote:77y4botx]The second point is a certain assumption that the SC has the "exclusivity" of arbitration and moderation, and that the Guild would be, in essence, setting themselves up as their own arbitration/moderation facility, and interfering with the SC's constitutional duties, and thus any agenda including arbitration/moderation should, in effect, be prevented.[/quote:77y4botx]

Ah, this is one of the consequences of not having a functional and independent Judiciary - the SC is, in effect, our Judiciary and must struggle with these difficult and complex issues.

There is, of course, no argument against the Guild setting itself up as an arbitration/moderation facility. However, this entails at the very least the consent and presence of all parties involved in a dispute - and since Rose is away, this condition clearly cannot be met. My Petition involves, in part, exactly the possibility of the Guild seeting itself up as an "an arbitration/moderation facility", meeting, discussing, and making decisions whilst fully knowing one of the parties concerned cannot be present. Since my argument is that the Guild, by reason of its origins, nature and functions is a public, quasi-governmental organisation and part of our structure of governance, failure on its part to adhere to such basic principles of fairness and justice as summed up in the well established natural justice principle "audi alteram partes" (listen to both sides) would more than wannrant the intervention of such judiciary body as available - in this case the SC- to prevent its actual or likely breach.
in brief, while I fully agree with your argument in principle, given the specific circumstances of the case (quasi-govermental nature of the Guild, failure on its part to meet basic standards of natural justice should such a meeting be allowed to proceeed, lacked on any independent, fair and professional Judiciary in the CDS), it is my contention that the SC has the constitutionally-mandated duty to intervene and ensure that such violations of a citizen's rights do not actually take place.

[quote:77y4botx]
Only if they couldn't find a way out of a problem, or if the members would refuse their internal decisions, they would be allowed to appeal on that decision to the SC — but the SC has no "power" to refuse them the right to self-moderate and self-arbitrate... Rather, I even view the SC as having the role to encourage other forms of arbitration and moderation. In essence, the SC should work as a "last court of appeal" in most times and allow citizens to deal with all issues among themselves most (or all!) of the time.[/quote:77y4botx]

Again, I fully agree in principle. Unfortunately, this is not what is happening in practice in these specific circumstances, as discussed above. What IS happening is that the Guild Secretary, finding himself in flagrant conflict of interest, "suggests" to the Chair of the Guild meeting, in full knowledge that Rose will be unavoidably absent, to set the Guild up as -at worst- a Board of Inquisition by discussing, weighning and deciding upon issues deeply affecting a CDS citizen without afording her the chance to participate and make her point of view heard. Whilst the SC could indeed not intervene even in such a case if the Guild were indeed a truly private group of citizens meeting privately, its public, quasi-governmental nature not only allows, but indeed mandates the SC's intervention - not to substitute itself for the Guild's mediation/arbitration functions, but to ensure that, should such fucntions be carried out, they will be in a fair, balanced and equitable manner, in accordance with basic principles of natural justice and the rule of law. Surely, that is part of the SC's bundle of attribtions both qua SC and qua only exsiting judiciary body of the CDS at present.

[quote:77y4botx]Even if that "role" of the SC might be disputed — ie. claiming that you can read the Constitution as granting the SC an "exclusivity" in moderation/arbitration — then we have to analyse what the Guild's agenda states. There is no item on it discussing an eventual "arbitration". They're just discussing internal procedures. One might discuss if the results of implementing those procedures are, or not, a clear violation of certain rules, laws, or even the Constitution, but that's a priori thinking Smile[/quote:77y4botx]

Ah yes - just internal procedures! Let's see: after years of effectively leeavingthe IP issue in abeyance, a lawyer is commissioned at the behest of CDSs public officials and Guild leaders to draft a text addressing these matters. The laywer in question proceeds to do so entirely "pro bono" based strictly on the mandate and guidelines provided to her by said Guild, and including in the process numerous meetings, consultations, discussions with the parties concerned - only to see her professional and personal competence and integrity attacked in a public forum by the top public official of the Guild -who incidentally, is personally involved in a political campaign for office in the RA. This self-same officer "resigns" his Guild positions but also "retains" it temporarily, then "suggests" to the Chair of the next Guild meeting an agenda which would clearly address, disscuss and make decisions both the susbstantive nature of thr work entrusted to the lawyer and the related accusations and charges publicly brought against her. Just internal procedure of a private body of citizens -or public exclusion of one of its very own agents during her absence by a quasi-governnmental, public body? I do realise this is a difficut issue the SC is ill-equipped to address - which is why this matter wouldd have been dealt with by a professional, competent and idependent Judiciary had it not been brought down by, among others, the self-same Guild official who was, at the time, an RA Member... Ahh, the webs we weave..... :)

[quote:77y4botx]On the other hand, I could obviously suggest that you sent the very same document as a petition to the Guild to postpone their own meeting, on the grounds that discussing anything during the campaigning and voting session (which is actually almost over, anyway), when there are Guild members that are also candidates for the RA, is not very ethical (even if not "forbidden"). But that would be the Guild's prerogative of accepting (or not) that petition; and naturally, your own choice to send the petition to the Guild or not Smile[/quote:77y4botx]

I did indeed send a copy of this petition to the (resigned but still acting) Guild Secretaryr. However, it remains my contention that, based on the arguments and principles discussed above, the SC, in its double rolse as both SC and as only existing Judiciary body of the CDS, set up a mandatory framework of action within which the Guild may proceed in a fair, evenhanded and equitable manner, in accordance with well-established principles of natural law and mindful of all our citizens' rights under the constitution.

I hope this helps somewhat in clarifying the nature and purpose of my Petition.

Thank you again for your comments on this matter.

Return to “General Discussion”